Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #29

I connected a positive wire to both the Vn + terminal on the shunt and to the red pig tail on the display. Without 12v DC power to the red pig tail on the display, it is blank.
The left cable goes to the battery, the right to the load.

On the display there is a red X, I think that means no data connection.

The USB cable is behind the right terminal in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2735 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	190528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2736 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	190529  

Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #30

Jayco Owners Club
Are those cables negative or positive?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #31

Jayco Owners Club
my unit did light up the display without using the pigtails on the back of the display so it should be receiving power through the USB cable. Do you have another cable you could try?
Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #32

The cable are negative.

Didn't think about a different USB cable. Coach is getting the dash air fixed, when it returns I'll try a new cable.
Both sold
Old 02-11-2018, 03:32 AM   #33

I bought another unit. I attached the negative cable from the battery to the big terminal on the shunt closest to the small terminals that connect the shunt to V+.
The other main terminal on the shut I connected the cable that goes to load. See picture I uploaded previously.

I then connected a positive wire from 12 volt battery to the V+ terminal on the shut. Then connected the USB cable from the shunt to the display. I get nothing. The screen doesn't display anything.

What am I doing wrong??
Both sold
Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #34

Tim-

Just clarifying that you've hooked it up correctly. You're a bright guy, so I suspect you have.

The two cables to the shunt:

1) One goes to the battery negative post, and is the only cable on that post?
2) The other goes to a bus bar that holds all the negative leads that used to be attached to the battery negative post?

Although it's a different unit, the diagram on page 2 of the Trimetric Installation and User Guide applies.

The one cable to power the USB electronics: It comes from a 12V positive off the same battery? And there is 12V on the wire?

Jumper set at 2W?

Is there a fuse in the sending unit?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #35

Jayco Owners Club
In your photo it looks like the jumper is on 3W. It should be on 2W.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #36

I'll head out to the RV later today to check the jumper.
Anyway here's a schematic of how I've wired the shunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shunt Schematic.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	192027  
Both sold
Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
Looks like you have it wired correctly. Once you change the jumper position you should be in good shape.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Looks like you have it wired correctly. Once you change the jumper position you should be in good shape.
Yup, that was it. Working fine now.
Thanks to all that helped.
Both sold
Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #39

Jayco Owners Club
Good deal! Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Deltran Battery Tender Wireless Monitor

I installed this unit today. Cost, about 10 bucks, from Advance Auto Parts, but, closer to $20 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batte...70_&dpSrc=srch

It is a pain to get it to connect to your wifi, but, it is doable with persistence. Took me about 1/2 hour of cussing. Once the phone app is connected you can monitor your battery from anywhere that you have internet connectivity. (You need it at both places, in the RV where the unit is, and of course, where your phone is).

My desire is to monitor the voltage so I will know if the power has gone off in the RV park and I can get back to tend to my dog that might be in the RV on a hot day. So.. it works but....

1. It only updates every 10 minutes.
2. Supposedly there are alerts. I cut the power on the breaker box today and I never got an alert after 20+ minutes... it is 93 today, and it go too hot, so, I had to cry uncle and turn the power back on. My batteries were still showing 90%, but, the A/C was off. From what I've read (documentation is really sketchy) it won't alert you until it gets to 35% battery (whatever that is) and really, by that point, it is way too late for my needs.

Conclusion... It is better than nothing, and it is inexpensive, but... I would like something better. Anybody else that has experience with these and can offer any tips, or that has a different unit that works better, I would like to hear from you.
NINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINK View Post
I installed this unit today. Cost, about 10 bucks, from Advance Auto Parts, but, closer to $20 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batte...70_&dpSrc=srch

It is a pain to get it to connect to your wifi, but, it is doable with persistence. Took me about 1/2 hour of cussing. Once the phone app is connected you can monitor your battery from anywhere that you have internet connectivity. (You need it at both places, in the RV where the unit is, and of course, where your phone is).

My desire is to monitor the voltage so I will know if the power has gone off in the RV park and I can get back to tend to my dog that might be in the RV on a hot day. So.. it works but....

1. It only updates every 10 minutes.
2. Supposedly there are alerts. I cut the power on the breaker box today and I never got an alert after 20+ minutes... it is 93 today, and it go too hot, so, I had to cry uncle and turn the power back on. My batteries were still showing 90%, but, the A/C was off. From what I've read (documentation is really sketchy) it won't alert you until it gets to 35% battery (whatever that is) and really, by that point, it is way too late for my needs.

Conclusion... It is better than nothing, and it is inexpensive, but... I would like something better. Anybody else that has experience with these and can offer any tips, or that has a different unit that works better, I would like to hear from you.
So if you lose power in your RV does your wireless Internet connection still work???
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine does. I use a battery powered cellular hotspot.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery