Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Check in

We are going to pick up our 29' Four Winds model 28Z [the first motor home we have ever had] on Monday the 29th of July. It is at the dealership [9 hours away].
Are there any issues that we should pay close attention to in our two hour indoctrination?
Any input would be most helpful.
WenWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Have you owned an RV or even a TT in the past, or is this the first adventure, or do you mean asking about your specific RV?
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Many newbies choose to video the PDI so they can refer back to it. If you are a total newbie to RVs, that might be a good idea. Sometimes we get caught up in the "experience" and don't pay close enough attention. Lots of notes will help, too.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
My RV dealer, smaller shop, very nice and service oriented, put is up in a local RV park at their expense for two days. We ended up staying several more days (at our expense), just to be sure we felt familiar with everything. Even a brand new RV will have issues that need to be addressed.

Then, over the next few days, they provided us with a driving course, came over to the RV park and went through the process for setting up the RV, and how all the systems worked (even dumping, you will need to learn the good and the bad things). Even going to get a fill up, filling the propane tank, and what to think about when doing so.

They provided us with their cell number to call at any time if we had a question. They let us try to break things (identify any issues) and said that they would repair any issues found at their expense. I had a list of things after this time and they fixed or resolved all issues before we left.

They bought (at our expense), installed & showed is how to use the equipment to pull our toad.

That was a great way to get over the learning curve.

We took the time to shop and get all the other things that you will need. Remember that it is like your second home, and you will need to furnish it with all the things you take for granted at home. We probably spent $2k just getting all the things that are specifically for the RV. Bedding, towels, wash clothes, hand towels, cookware, dishes, silverware, glasses, etc., etc., etc.....
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

For me, I'd make sure they have every system operating and show you how to use them. I hear a lot about people who get to their first destination and find the water pump doesn't work, the hot water heater by pass in on, hook it up to city water and water belches from the trailer or the propane systems don't work.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
As your dealer is nine hours (or ~ 500 miles, or maybe $180 worth of gas) away, I will make a recommendation.

If I were you, I would consider staying at an RV park close to where the dealer is, for at least a couple of days, to make sure that you have your questions answered and/or identify any issues that they can resolve quickly.

During this trial period, try out as many things as you can and write down your concerns or questions to resolve with the dealer while you are there. Especially for a new owner, a two hour discussion, as an introduction and learning session, is an inadequate amount of time.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought from a private seller who wasn't real happy after two+ hours of me running every system, checking outlets, blinds etc. The annoyance , I found out later was because he didn't want to sell, but momma did. Regardless, I was a virgin armed with a checklist ( obtained from this great site ) and I I crawled over his rig like a roach in the kitchen at midnite. The walk thru means zero if you have not armed yourself with enough knowledge. The sheer terror of writing a check that big is also great motivation, jussayin.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Many dealers actually have a few sites with full hookups. If so, USE THEM! We used a video camera throughout the entire walk through process. We still missed a couple of items, but the dealer is coming through on them.

Check as many systems as you can think of!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote