Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #1

Check your wheel Bearings

We left on a cross country trip this week got to Joplin,mo. The ABS light went on and I smelt smoke.Called Coach net they said itís ok keep driving it. Drove another 15 miles smoke was pouring out of left front tire.Found a shop to bring it to,stuck in a hotel till they could fix it. They called me and said when they jacked up tire wheel fell off,I was very lucky the damage that was done by the wheel bearings not being serviced was expensive and dangerous. Check bearings in wheels if you are doing a long trip.
Zonnie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2022, 09:45 AM   #2

When I was a kid...I had a bearing noise in a vw bug. I,being a broke college kid, kept driving.
One day making a left hand turn off a busy road the brake pedal went to the floor.
I managed to pull into a pull off across the road
And the left rear brake drum still attache
To the tire was resting on the rear
Spindle..I jacked the car up and put the wheel back on. The wheel nut was resting inside
the half moon hubcap..I found a nail
And used it as a cotter pin and was able
to drive home...replaced the bearing the next day...That could have been alot worse..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
US1

Abs light on and smelled smoke. Pretty sure I wouldnt have drove it further on someones advise over the phone.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonnie62 View Post
We left on a cross country trip this week got to Joplin,mo. The ABS light went on and I smelt smoke.Called Coach net they said itís ok keep driving it. Drove another 15 miles smoke was pouring out of left front tire.Found a shop to bring it to,stuck in a hotel till they could fix it. They called me and said when they jacked up tire wheel fell off,I was very lucky the damage that was done by the wheel bearings not being serviced was expensive and dangerous. Check bearings in wheels if you are doing a long trip.

Good advise, I have oil filled hubs which I check at least yearly and I just had tires so I checked them then. Also look for oil on wheels.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:01 PM   #5

Just checking fluid level might not be enough, how often do you check bearing "pre-load?"
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Just checking fluid level might not be enough, how often do you check bearing "pre-load?"
I certainly agree that checking oil is probably not enough. Our rule of thumb is that every 10k to 12k miles, we spin that wheel and adjust that bearing, generally for being to loose and then making sure itís not to tight. Unless weíre doing a boat trailer, we use the same mileage for packed bearings, maybe a little less.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:55 PM   #7

Same goes for us older rv's that are 20yrs plus.. and use packed grease bearings.. don't wait 20yrs.. re pack and inspect every 5yrs.. even if not 50,000 miles.. and if you drive through high water or big storm .. you better make a note and recheck and inspect.. high water/ big storms can get water in diff and wheel bearing..and don't forget the diff.. change that too..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-09-2022, 11:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Good advise, I have oil filled hubs which I check at least yearly and I just had tires so I checked them then. Also look for oil on wheels.
Every chassis mfgr. recommends visually checking hub oil level prior to each days driving.
Spartan Chassis told me to remove my chrome center hub covers so I could see the plastic hub cap and oil level during my walk-around each morning.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:47 AM   #9

Just curious as to what kind of vehicle the OP is posting about and how long since the bearings were last checked? I couldn't find any info in his/her profile.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Spartan Chassis told me to remove my chrome center hub covers so I could see the plastic hub cap and oil level during my walk-around each morning.

Some of the best advice you can get. Not only the oil level but the condition is important. As I was tearing this down I looked through the cover trying to understand what I was seeing, it looked sorta like oil but not like oil. When I got the cover off I was amazed, it was the most coked up mess I've seen that was still operating.

This motor home had changed hands a couple of times in the five years before I got it. With the hub caps and not a lot of understanding about how these work and are put together I'm sure no one had a clue. They used it and parked it.

Gas or diesel there's a lot of maintenance that has to be done to the chassis. Easier accessibility makes easier maintenance. If it's not done you'll start replacing expensive parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goop on nuts.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	367902  
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #11

Why I have a HF temp gun in my door pocket. After driving for a few hours a quick walk around with it, checking wheel hubs, tires, etc lets me know if all is OK
MCCOHENS is online now   Reply With Quote