Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Chevy vs. Ford Chassis

I currently own a 1999 Born Free, 23 ft. Class C on a Ford 450 chassis with the V-10 engine. I'm looking at upgrading to a 2009 Born Free, 25 ft. but it is on a Chevy 4500 Workhorse chassis with a 6.0 liter V-8. I understand that the Ford will carry and pull more than the Chevy chassis but the Chevy chassis is reported to ride much better than the Ford. My real concern is engine life, power and dependability. Gas mileage is also a concern. I currently get 9.5-10 on my current V-10 rig without towing.

Any advice, information , suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #2

If you look at the top quality class C manufacturers they use Ford E series frames & V10 engine. So JMO but I would be very suspect of anything made from GM.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Drive it and see what you think. Your are looking at a 10 year newer rig, it will be apples to oranges. If on the test drive you don't like it walk away, but you may find like it better. Everyone has their favorites and opinions. JMO
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

As DDDonkey pointed out, you need not be concerned with a Chevy vs Ford debate. You're concerned with test driving one MH. Every MH new or old, Ford or Chevy/GM, is going to drive/handle differently.
If there is a handling problem, the cheapest, easiest fix is to weigh the MH at least by each axle, if not by individual wheels and adjust the tire pressure according to the Michelin Americas Truck Tire Load & Inflation Tables
Old 05-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Many years ago I was in the market for a used school bus. I drove about 4 of each type, Chevy (GM) and Ford. My partner and I could feel the difference before leaving the lot, the GM products had a much softer ride. We ended up buying a Chevy and driving it 10,000 miles.
Test drive the RV and see what you think.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

I will never buy a Ford anything ever again. It boils down to personal preference. They both have their ups and downs.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
I currently own a 1999 Born Free, 23 ft. Class C on a Ford 450 chassis with the V-10 engine. I'm looking at upgrading to a 2009 Born Free, 25 ft. but it is on a Chevy 4500 Workhorse chassis with a 6.0 liter V-8. I understand that the Ford will carry and pull more than the Chevy chassis but the Chevy chassis is reported to ride much better than the Ford. My real concern is engine life, power and dependability. Gas mileage is also a concern. I currently get 9.5-10 on my current V-10 rig without towing.

Any advice, information , suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've driven the same model of Class C on both the GM and the Ford Class C Chassis and in my experience, the Chevrolet/Workhorse (Badged) Class C RV was smoother shifting, quieter and felt like it had better power from its V-8.

These are both 2006 models, at the inception of the release of the Chevy/WCC product. The GM/WCC badged RV can be serviced by any GM (Chevrolet or GMC) dealership in the country.

In later model years, GM increased the GVWR of the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05991.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	62084   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05983.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	62085  

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Every summer for almost 20 years I was in charge of four 15 passenger (3500) vans we picked up in Oxford, OH and used fully loaded out and about Yellowstone. They were a mix of (early years) Ford and Dodge, then later Chevy and Ford. The Chevys rode better, but would lose power at higher elevations.(+7.000 ft) I really have no firm opinion on quality, I've had good and bad of each.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies!
army is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, chevy, ford