Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #15

Thought chucking was the technique used to remove large rocks or limbs from your site prior to backing in. As in, "The guy next door caught me chucking rocks into his campsite."
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Thats how I understand it to be as well.
That is how I understand it also. And anyone that criticized a question being asked is just a jerk. How else will you learn?
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Ok. I was criticized on another thread for not understanding what “chucking” is.
MY definition of “chucking” is the for and aft jerking motion when towing a trailer across irregular road surfaces.
I want to be on the same page as everyone else.
So, What is your definition of “chucking”?
Actually I'm the person from the other thread that ask you what your definition of chucking was. The reason I asked that question is because you said all hitches have chucking. I wasn't criticizing you at all. I was just making sure we were discussing the same thing.

The discussion was about Andersen hitches and how well they perform. No matter how many people that use the Anderson hitch say that there is zero chucking there are people out there like yourself that say all hitches have chucking.

I will be perfectly honest with you, I really don't know what checking is myself being I've never experienced it. The only Fifth Wheel Towing I've ever done has been with the Andersen. Now I have grown up in the country and pulled trailers since I was around 10 years old. A gooseneck connection does not have any chucking or noise associated with it. I do find it sort of funny when folks that use fifth wheel hitches think they are superior to a goose ball. When truck manufacturers release their towing numbers their max numbers are based off a goose ball and not a fifth wheel. When you see a over-the-road truck on the highway pulling three or four cars on a trailer... it's a gooseneck trailer. When you see a cattle trailer on the highway loaded down with 40 head of cattle... It's a gooseneck connection.

Just because it's lightweight or it's just a little ball connection does it make it inferior to anything else. It's hard to believe there are so many people that talk about a hitch in a negative way that they have never even used.

I could care less what type of hitch anybody else uses. I also don't go around saying folks are wrong or endangering other folks by using a different type of hitch. Everyone says that the goose ball adapter that people put on fifth wheels is dangerous and causes damage to they're fifth wheels. I read and follow a lot of different types of threads and I can't recall seeing any issues from that type of setup. I especially did my research when I bought the Andersen. I have not seen any damage to a vehicle or a trailer.

Wish you happy camping. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180215_154843.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	198516
ti136333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

My definition is the same as yours...

Quote:
Usually contributed to too much tongue wieght
Actually, insufficient tongue weight is just as common a cause.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #19

andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti136333 View Post
Actually I'm the person from the other thread that ask you what your definition of chucking was. The reason I asked that question is because you said all hitches have chucking. I wasn't criticizing you at all. I was just making sure we were discussing the same thing.

The discussion was about Andersen hitches and how well they perform. No matter how many people that use the Anderson hitch say that there is zero chucking there are people out there like yourself that say all hitches have chucking.

I will be perfectly honest with you, I really don't know what checking is myself being I've never experienced it. The only Fifth Wheel Towing I've ever done has been with the Andersen. Now I have grown up in the country and pulled trailers since I was around 10 years old. A gooseneck connection does not have any chucking or noise associated with it. I do find it sort of funny when folks that use fifth wheel hitches think they are superior to a goose ball. When truck manufacturers release their towing numbers their max numbers are based off a goose ball and not a fifth wheel. When you see a over-the-road truck on the highway pulling three or four cars on a trailer... it's a gooseneck trailer. When you see a cattle trailer on the highway loaded down with 40 head of cattle... It's a gooseneck connection.

Just because it's lightweight or it's just a little ball connection does it make it inferior to anything else. It's hard to believe there are so many people that talk about a hitch in a negative way that they have never even used.

I could care less what type of hitch anybody else uses. I also don't go around saying folks are wrong or endangering other folks by using a different type of hitch. Everyone says that the goose ball adapter that people put on fifth wheels is dangerous and causes damage to they're fifth wheels. I read and follow a lot of different types of threads and I can't recall seeing any issues from that type of setup. I especially did my research when I bought the Andersen. I have not seen any damage to a vehicle or a trailer.

Wish you happy camping. Attachment 198516
yes I agree I have not experienced any chucking with my hitch either.oh and i like your choice of tow vehicle and that's one nice fiver
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Chucking is usually reserved for when one is driving the porcelain bus after a night of excessive indulgence in adult beverages. Generally more of an issue during ones college years although otherwise responsible adults have been known to experience it as well.

No, that Up Chucking, which is odd because it ends up going down.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #21

DANG IT Roger G! You beat me to the punch! LOL!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #22

I experience chucking and it's not related to not having enough truck. My dually has payload to spare and the chucking is there at every bridge crossing. Chucking is caused by people that can't join a road to a bridge or build a smooth road.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti136333 View Post

Wish you happy camping. Attachment 198516

[moderator edit] I just said that I don’t feel comfortable using a set up like the Andersen with my heavy trailer. I was only interjecting some info that the OP may not have considered.
I never said the Andersen was dangerous and the world would come to an end if people used it.
[moderator edit]
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
No, that Up Chucking, which is odd because it ends up going down.
Thanks for the clarification. Lol 😝
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #25

[QUOTE=ti136333;4130754]When you see a over-the-road truck on the highway pulling three or four cars on a trailer... it's a gooseneck trailer. When you see a cattle trailer on the highway loaded down with 40 head of cattle... It's a gooseneck connection.

Well, no.
All the OTR trucks (read semi-truck) I’ve seen hauling cars or cattle are using the standard fifth wheel hitch.
You must be thinking of the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks hauling cars or cattle pulling goosenecks.
Keep in mind, the Andersen and Pullrite variant aren’t true gooseneck connections.
They are adapters.
To each their own.
Cruise on
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #26

In my mind this is what happens- Chucking

Assume that you are going down the highway in a steady state condition. Level ground, constant speed, smooth pavement etc. this would take a constant amount of power (energy). Now you come to a concrete slab that is say 1 inch higher than than the previous slab.

When the front wheels of the TV contacts the higher slab the front of the TV has to raise which also compresses the front springs to absorb the 1 inch change. It takes energy to raise the TV and to compress the springs (i.e. the TV is going up hill). This energy is subtracted from the energy that is maintaining the constant speed which momentarily slows the TV. At the same time the RV momentum is pushing the RV ahead, Chucking!

When the RV tires contact the 1 inch higher slab the same thing but opposite happens, the RV momentarily slows while the TV is continuing to maintain the constant speed. Chucking!

When the TV comes down off the higher slab the TV momentarily gains speed (i.e. It is going down hill) while the RV is maintaining your constant speed, Chucking!

When the RV comes off the higher slab, same thing except the opposite- The RV momentarily speeds up while the TV is maintaining constant speed, Chucking.

Of course the more slop there is between the hitch pin/hitch jaws and in fact the whole hitch assembly the worse the Chucking. From some of the TDR comments it seems that some outfits are worse than others. RV springs, shocks and tires probably also enter into "Chucking" but the basic problem is the unevenness (chuck holes) of the pavement. The basic problem is the monumentally speeding up and slowing down of the TV and the RV.

I am sure that some member that is more of a mathematician than I am could calculate the energy gain/loss for say a TV with a 3,000# front axle/ 5,000 rear axle weight and a RV with a 10,000 axle weight.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #27

I my mind,,, (ummmm) "chucking" is mainly caused by slop somewhere in the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle... I drive a big truck with doubles 100K miles a year, and NO I'm no expert. Just I've experienced many different setups, when you have a worn sloppy 5th wheel for instance, you get slop,,, or "chucking" (in my not so important opinion) That's the "Clunk" you hear or feel.... It could be the same on a TT, reciever slop, ball to hitch slop,,, (ummmm) etc.....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #28

Chucking is caused by an imbalance between the truck and trailer thats exaggerated by rough roads.
I have both the Andersen and the B&W. I started 4 years ago with the B&W. It's getting heavier as I get older so I bought an Andersen.
Both hitches tow the exact same way. I have some chucking on rougher roads with both hitches so slop is not part of the equation. It may be for some but IMO it's not the true cause of chucking.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote