Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Precious...lol

Can't believe I read in utter shock all the way up to here! Is this what people really do while "getting away" to go RVing? Glad I already decided before even ordering the coach to BOONDOCK.....gee I am going back to nature just to get away from all the PC and the "to me" that is "offensive", "abusive", "sexist", "racist" "patriarchal", "insensitive", "narcissistic", "selfish", "degrading", "snobbish", "inconsiderate", anti this-anti that, judgmental, yada yada yada, of you.

Reminds me of the getting a metal for just "showing up" mentality. It amazes me that people have become so divisive these days and how the tail seems to be wagging the dog so out of control that the poor dog is downright dizzy from it all.

Wonder if you add up all the proposed and existing laws, rules and regulations people want to make if there is anything left of our freedom and the right to pursue happiness? More and more you can't even talk without the fear of "someone" twisting it and misinterpreting it because everything they look at is through their own specialty colored sunglasses. Sad to hear it seems to be such an issue with some in the RV community. Smoke and smells in a campground imagine that
GO Daniel...go Daniel !!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
It’s a filthy addictive habit that affects others. Weak bodies and minds.
Same thing with alcohol.

Geeze I don't know how I ever got to where I am since I have both of these "filthy addictive habits". you two talk about.
Guess what, I'm still enjoying life.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
When a non smoker makes statements about how bad smokers are, maybe they should walk a mile in that smokers shoes before casting their biased bs on the subject.......or camp somewhere out in the sticks....or come back to the jungle tunnels full of those out to make sure you never see daylight again....
I have no idea what jungles you're talking about, but I (the OP) never said anything about how bad smokers are. I said I don't like smelling their stale cigarette butts or their smoke, and wish they'd be smoke where it wouldn't bother other people.

And I'm far from the only one bothered by it. Outdoor stadiums and parks and beaches have banned smoking. That's proof that it bothers other people, whether they tell you directly or not. Take a hint.

As for walking in a smoker's shoes, I don't need to. I pity addicts of all stripes, and honestly can't imagine what an addict's life must be like. But that doesn't mean I'm okay with them inflicting it on me.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:15 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
You smoke non stop in a camper and you know it on resale.
Simple as that.

If we could have smoked in that rv and not be penalized for smoke smell, oh yea we would have in an instant, but your dollars move the world mostly and we followed what worked best for resale of that unit.

By Oatmeal:
It's interesting that a common refrain these days is complaining about the "me me me generation," but it looks like it's not actually anything new.
I don't even know how you dragged it to this comment.
Would anyone devalue their truck? Would you ding it up on purpose and not care? Not many here would do that Would you not do maintenance to your home to keep value on it? Many here would. Why would devaluing your camper when you know it will if you do XYZ to it be any different than how other things owned and want to keep it's value?
I don't get your comment one bit truly
Old 05-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
I don't even know how you dragged it to this comment.
Would anyone devalue their truck? Would you ding it up on purpose and not care? Not many here would do that Would you not do maintenance to your home to keep value on it? Many here would. Why would devaluing your camper when you know it will if you do XYZ to it be any different than how other things owned and want to keep it's value?
I don't get your comment one bit truly
People knowingly do lots of things they enjoy, in spite of the fact it cost them money. Having pets in a rv is equally as bad as smoking. Until his recent death, we had a 80 lb dog for all his 12 years with us rving. In that time, he wrecked the screens half a dozen times, dragged dirt and stinky smells in from outside. On top of that wrecked the hardwood floors in my home. I have seen many small dogs that like to pee on everything. In spite of the minor damage, it didnt deter us from having him, and probably will get another dog at some point. The consensus here is that smokers dont care. I think it comes down to rights. Lets say I pay $whatever a night for a spot in a rv park. I want to sit at my picnic table, and enjoy the evening for a few hours.You think that I shouldnt be allowed to smoke at my own site. If that is the case, you all better start petitioning parks to create smoke free sections, and let people vote with their dollars.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
People knowingly do lots of things they enjoy, in spite of the fact it cost them money. Having pets in a rv is equally as bad as smoking. Until his recent death, we had a 80 lb dog for all his 12 years with us rving. In that time, he wrecked the screens half a dozen times, dragged dirt and stinky smells in from outside. On top of that wrecked the hardwood floors in my home. I have seen many small dogs that like to pee on everything. In spite of the minor damage, it didnt deter us from having him, and probably will get another dog at some point. The consensus here is that smokers dont care. I think it comes down to rights. Lets say I pay $whatever a night for a spot in a rv park. I want to sit at my picnic table, and enjoy the evening for a few hours.You think that I shouldnt be allowed to smoke at my own site. If that is the case, you all better start petitioning parks to create smoke free sections, and let people vote with their dollars.
I absolutely agree with you. Your rights. So many want to keep taking them away to suit themselves but how many rights are gone for people and they have hurt us to no end? Many! But some were good for us to act as a society and not kill each other
But I so get you. You bought your MH and did what you wanted with it, we bought our campers and did what we wanted with them. Now to 'control the outside' of every place on this planet is the next course of action for many...ugh!

the statement, tough noogies for you, comes into mind sometimes on these posts LOL
Old 05-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #105

Cigarettes. Ugh.

As a former smoker (quit decades ago), I see both sides of the equation. First off, when I smoked, I had no clue how much it can bother people - didn't learn that until after I quit. Like many in my age group, I started smoking in my early "teens". Seemed like all the adults smoked; all the "cool" celebrities, smoked, and even a lot of healthcare professionals smoked - yes, that includes doctors. In the early sixties it was advertised as a way to invigorate - get extra energy... Laughable as that sounds now... The biggest named newscasters of the day even made commercials touting their favorite brand. I started smoking at 14 because I wanted to be more "grown up" and "cool". Once hooked, it's very difficult to break the addiction and you get very defensive of anyone or anything that stands between you and your ability to feed that addiction because you "need" that fix... And never once did I realize how badly cigarette smoke stinks. My senses of taste and smell we so completely dulled, that I never had a clue.

Once I kicked the habit, it took several months for my senses to normalize. That's when I first realized that the stench of stale cigarette smoke not only stuck to my clothes, but my hair and skin as well. With heavy smokers, it comes out of the pores of the skin. Just sitting anywhere near, or talking to a heavy smoker can make some people nauseous. It can be that bad. Now I can be sitting in traffic, say at a red light, and actually smell cigarette smoke from a vehicle three or four car lengths ahead of me.

But I get it. I know the vast majority of smokers would quit if they could, but for many I'm sorry to say, that is not possible. I also agree they have the right to engage in any legal activity within the boundaries of their sites. I try to be accommodating as much as possible, by closing windows on the side of the smoker's site when I need to and otherwise just try to stay upwind.

And I believe EX smokers can be the most rabid anti-smokers of all... I know I really hate it. I cannot believe I smoked until my early 40's. Furthermore, after quitting, I realized how much monetarily the habit cost me... Not just smokes, back then ONLY about $5 per pack (at a pack and a half a day) but the expensive lighters, cases, etc., even logo items as well. The prices are almost double that now in some places, and for some, it can cost hundreds of dollars monthly. Add that up over 20 years.

Some of that dislike has to be in part self loathing for ever being THAT stupid in the first place. The worst part was coming to realize how badly I smelled - no amount of tooth-brushing, deodorant, Fabreeze, or cologne could ever cover that odor... I must have been a real pleasure for my doctors and dentists...

So here's the deal... I will treat smokers with respect and if an issue arises, will first do what I can to mitigate it, and then, if that fails, politely ask my neighbor to help me work something out.

If nothing else, I hope the take-away from this is that smokers, who cannot themselves smell how offensive the odors that emanate from them are to others, are also more aware as to why some people are so vocal in their objections to their habit. Hopefully they will, in turn, do their part to minimize conflict. Mutual respect begets mutual respect.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Several posts have been removed for violating iRV2 rules and others have been removed because they were not on topic. This thread is closed.
Closed Thread