Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
MKO

Class A cover

Exhausted trying to figure out the best RV cover for our Class A RV.
We live in Phoenix so UV protection is a necessity and possible wind too.
MKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Have you considered a permanent cover, either metal or wood?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you use your coach regularly, like every month or so, a cover is a huge pain. It's difficult to get it one on the roof, make sure there is nothing on the roof that will damage it and then try to spread it out. Once over the edges, you have to get the straps under it and secure them. Depending on your age, climbing on the roof frequently, can become more and more dangerous.

With that said, we bought a cover for our first DP. It was a very high quality duck cloth model and very heavy. Back in 2005, it was a $1000.00. I cemented in two poles the height of the coach and welded a frame to the top of them. I bolted a plastic Home Depot outside yard storage box to the top of the poles. The box was just the right height, so I could open the lid and pull the cover straight down the length of the motor home. This made things easier, since the cover didn't have to be lifted onto the roof. When I removed the cover, I folded it into the center of the coach and then stuffed it back into the box.

Even having the above setup, I gave up on covering the coach. I would only cover a coach if I lived in a state where I had to park and winterize it over the winter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:23 AM   #4

Phoenix sun is brutal and causes a good deal of damage. Destroys seals, paint, interior in the matter of a few years. Often gets hot enough inside an RV to distort/melt some plastics. When I lived there the thermometer in the cab of my pickup would often be pegged at 170 degrees, it couldn't read anything higher.

I use a cover on my big TT, it's a cheap one and I'm looking for a better brand too.

Agree they are a pain to put on and take off. OP if it is parked on your own land, I would suggest a parking shader, more expensive initially, but cheaper and much easier to use in the long run. Something like this:

https://www.bigbuildingsdirect.com/p...RoCAywQAvD_BwE

My TT is in a storage lot so I don't have this option.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #5

Look for an inside storage facility.

If you pass by outside storage facilities in the summer in Arizona or RV parks where the owners leave them sit all summer you'd wonder if they
really do get damaged. We've seen some very nice upscale motorhomes setting on those places uncovered.

Definitely give the RV a good heavy-duty wax job if it sits all summer.

I know some Phoenix RVers store their RV up in the Rim areas where it's a lot cooler..... Payson, Show Low, etc.

I've heard too many complaints about dealing with a RV cover to ever consider it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

It’s a dang if you do or dang if you don’t.
They are a pain to put on and off, I purchased 2 they both lasted around 4-5 only used in winter time. I have a steel carport now.

Tags
class a, cover