Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #1

Class A DP vs Super C Diesel

Just curious if anyone has owned both and what benefits they can share with A vs Super C or Visa versa. I have been thinking, looking . Never driven or even been in a Super C Diesel. Wondering about the ride comparison . I can assume a couple of things such as perhaps a bit noisier up front but probably easier service atleast with rad cleaning, belt changes and soforth. Driver door entry seems a plus I suppose .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have sat in both types of MH's but haven't yet owned either.
The two main things for me are the views out of most Class A's seem to be better and the seats seem to be more integrated into the living space. I suppose there are some exceptions. Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've never owned one, but it seems the biggest advantage for the Super C is the ability to work on it and access all the truck systems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
Just curious if anyone has owned both and what benefits they can share with A vs Super C or Visa versa. I have been thinking, looking . Never driven or even been in a Super C Diesel. Wondering about the ride comparison . I can assume a couple of things such as perhaps a bit noisier up front but probably easier service atleast with rad cleaning, belt changes and soforth. Driver door entry seems a plus I suppose .
I have a Dynamax Super C with a Cummins 6.7 4x4. Love the handling as it's built on a real truck chassis. It doesn't need constant correction with the steering wheel as some class A units do and is very stable and smooth. It as easy to drive and tracks straight as my RAM 2500 cummins.
Also love the overhead bunk that you can sit up in if needed.
Tom in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #5

Noise will be a big difference. Class A seems a lot brighter inside and driving with the big window is awesome.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I have not owned a Super C, but I did test drive one. It was noisier in the cab than a Class A. In the Class A, we also like we can turn the cockpit chairs around to be part of the living area, if we need additional seating. That wasn't possible in the Super C. The last thing that kept us in a Class A was I want to be able to visit the Class A only RV resorts. Yeah, I know there's plenty of other places for us to visit, but I like what I see in those resorts & didn't want to be excluded because I wasn't a Class A....despite a Super C costing just as much or more than an Class A.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

Thanks for responses. I have used and owned a Class A for 20+ years with a short stint in a reg class c but have never really looked at a super c other than on the net. I like my coach ( 2002 Fleetwood Revolution 39 ft) but sorta like the idea of the set up on the super c as far as front engine . I do all my own maintenance and it seems obvious that the front engine is more accessible.

I can imagine the ride would not be like my DP and the engine noise I am sure is more noticeable. Wife always comments about the heat in bedroom after a long trip but I am contemplating putting some heat barrier up in the engine bay between the engine and bedroom . Have used some in hotrods that really helped . There is some there now but I noticed some areas that could use better coverage so that will probably end up being a non-issue. I just saw some super c coaches while lurking around the internet and liked the fact that they seem to be more like a reg med duty truck as far as setup, drive train and so on. Just thinking out loud sort of.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

I have owned numerous class As, Class Cs and now my Super C. My last class A was my 45' Blue Bird WB that is a true over the road coach comparable (but better) than a Prevost. I put 100k miles on her before selling due to cancer. Once recovered we tried a small class C for a year and 10k miles and then ordered our Super C. In total I have driven my RVs about 500k miles over the past 30 years and have strong opinions (as most of us do) about RVing.

We took delivery in June 2017 of our 2018 Renegade. In this time we have put 30k miles on her including 3 months on our Alaska trip last year.

Besides the obvious safety of having a LARGE diesel engine in front to cushion front end accidents and driver/passenger doors, as other have said it is a true truck chassis which is stiffer than air suspension class As, but being an ex racer, I prefer it stiff with little lean in sharp turns etc. BUT, the real test was Alaska where we did most of the bad roads, all the good roads and we were able to run the Top of the World Highway at posted speed limits and with great comfort. Read the horror reports of that road and how slow you need to go etc...BS, I know *my* coach can do the speed limits on any road I choose with very little negative.

As to turning the seats like a class A, mine turn, standard equipment on a Renegade. Yes a bit nosier than a class A but my wife and I never have to raise our voices to talk plus we have front A/C-heat that really is effective.

All the good comments about service (anywhere) is much easier. We had our oil changed in Fairbanks.

It's your money, don't trust any of us but do go test drive a few as not all super Cs are the same or equal. Other than the snobbery of class A only places (and many let super Cs in if you ask) that some consider negative. I am like WC Fields.."I'd never join a club that would have me"
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #9

Currently own Super C (Renegade Verona) and previous even bigger truck conversion (Showhauler). Have also driven my bro-in-law's Class A cross country. The A is quieter up front, and only has one entry door. C has extra crush zone and maybe slightly stiffer ride, but the air seats make for nice comfort. The C does not have any towing issues weight or power. Some C do have smaller engines than mine, but I have 20K hitch, double anything I currently tow.
I try to do all my own maintenance and repairs, the tilt front is obviously far advantageous for that. Plus I just prefer the styling of the truck front end vs flat bus front end.
Inside my C is just as nice or more than many A coaches. It really comes down to personal choices, go look at both.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #10

We have a lower end Super C. Under 26,000# GVW was the big sell. 360hp Cummins pullls fullsize SUV like nothing back there.
40,000 miles including 3 months to Alaska last year.
Drives great and hadnles very well. Never driven a DP so can't compare. Cab noise is only reall issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6736.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	276982
Old 03-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #11

Take both for a test drive or rent for a week or so. That way you can compare each one.
The points above I consider valid and should be part of your final decision.
You are doing your research which is good. Keep going. You will make the right choice in the end.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
I've owned both

I have had a Gulf Stream Super C and HATED it. It was noisy and drove like a delivery truck. Like SERIOUSLY bad ride and handling. I put up with that unit for 40,000 miles and then got rid of it. THAT SAID, I really like Super C's and test drove the Renegade before purchasing my present coach. I DO like the Renegade's.

Things I like about the Super C:
1. The ability to service the engine without getting into the coach
2. The safety offered by having the engine out front.
3. They are rugged. As others have posted, doing the Alaska Hwy is proof of this.
4. They look really cool....

Things I like about my present Class A:
1. WAY quieter. Sound level between the two types of coaches not even close.
2. More comfortable ride. My present coach is full air bag suspension on a Spartan K2 chassis with side radiator. VERY impressive ride and drive-ability.
3. More open feeling and a HUGE windshield. The driving area is part of the living space.
4, This bus looks really cool.....(Can I list that twice, LOL)

Bottom line is you need to go out and drive both. I really like the NEWMAR Super Star and would have considered that coach if it was available when I made my purchase. I say this because the cab is on airbags and supposedly offers a superior ride to others in this class.

But in the end, the coach I presently own is by far a way better coach than my last Super C
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingbiker View Post

Things I like about the Super C:
3. They are rugged. As others have posted, doing the Alaska Hwy is proof of this.
You'll see many, many Class A's in Alaska. We also drove the Top of the World with no issues in our Class A.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I've also wondered about Super C's. I'm on my 4th MH (1 gas and 3 DPs), each one longer by a foot or so than the one before (now at 43' 11" with tag).

Here in Canada Super C's are scarce as hen's teeth and priced much higher than the dollar difference between USD and CAD.

I'm currently seriously considering listing my current rig for sale and switching to a Super C. I don't mind the truck feel and the maintenance will be much easier. Also some are around 24K lbs so there is no need for a special license here in Ontario (currently need class D with yearly medical requirement (its considered a CDL) and air brakes). Of course I'll probably want one over that weight.

We were going to be snowbirds but so far have not managed due to DW medical issues so our primary reason for a large class A is sort of mute. We think we could do just find in a 36-39" Super C with a couple of slides for our 3 to 6 week trips.

And I think they look cool.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel