Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
NY has done away with the non-commercial CDL license. Now for RVs over 26,000 you can get an "R" endorsement. Try figuring out how to do that. While at the nearest DMV office registering a car I asked about it. Blank look, huddle with three other people, twenty minutes and I get a forty year old temp license form stamped with no expiration date and the phone number of the "brownies" (the officers that gave road tests used to have brown uniforms and got that tag). Last I knew you had to fill out some kind of form to take any test.

Florida on the other hand says:SOURCE: Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Since we spend about half the year in each state it might be more simple to just get a Fl license. Leave it to NY to make it as complicated as possible.
So if you are licensed in Florida and your vehicle is over 26,001 pounds, what class license do you need? If it is 26,001 pounds or less you need a Class E, so what do you need if it is over 26,001 pounds? Hmmm.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So if you are licensed in Florida and your vehicle is over 26,001 pounds, what class license do you need? If it is 26,001 pounds or less you need a Class E, so what do you need if it is over 26,001 pounds? Hmmm.
The law states that drivers of recreational vehicles driven for recreational purposes are exempt from the commercial driver license requirement. The guy that drives the RV to road test it or deliver a vehicle over 26,001 pounds is not driving the vehicle for recreational purposes and must possess a Class A CDL.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I mentioned this on another thread but be sure you know how much weight your state is going to rate for your coach before you do what I did. I was going to pick up my new Journey 34Y and everything I had read said the GVWR was 27900#. I rushed to the Texas DMV, took and passed the written portion of the Class B exempt status license and was preparing to schedule the driving test.

When I received the license plates and registration, Texas had it listed as 22900# GVWR so I had to go back to the DMV and have them delete my license application. I would have gone ahead and taken the driving test but my coach would not have been heavy enough to use.

I was just trying to get ahead of the game and it wound up costing my about 3 hours of wasted DMV time and $11.00 for the test.

Whew, glad that is over. The good thing is, I learned all about how to test my air brakes and probably would not have known this much about them if I had not studied for and taken the written test.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #46

I went to the Maine Legislature website and they have the licensing information. It looked to me to be very similar to most other states in that 26,001 lb and above or pulling 10,000 lbs was the requirement for a Class A. It also stated that a RV used for Personal use only required a class C (Normal DL).

Title 29-A, §1252: Classes

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #47
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
The law states that drivers of recreational vehicles driven for recreational purposes are exempt from the commercial driver license requirement. The guy that drives the RV to road test it or deliver a vehicle over 26,001 pounds is not driving the vehicle for recreational purposes and must possess a Class A CDL.
Richard,
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just really confused. I looked at the Florida web site you posted. It specifically states that if your vehicle is 26,001 pounds or LESS you need a class E. What it doesn't state is what license you need if it is above 26,001 pounds. No CDL involved, just asking what you need if it is over 26,001 pounds. The only thing they have listed is the paragraph above the one I'm quoting that is for CDL. Is there another manual?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Richard,
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just really confused. I looked at the Florida web site you posted. It specifically states that if your vehicle is 26,001 pounds or LESS you need a class E. What it doesn't state is what license you need if it is above 26,001 pounds. No CDL involved, just asking what you need if it is over 26,001 pounds. The only thing they have listed is the paragraph above the one I'm quoting that is for CDL. Is there another manual?
I live in Florida and a regular driver license is all that is needed to drive a class A. That is what all Florida RV dealers claim. If anyone knows, they would. I have a Class A CDL so I'm not personally affected. I really think there should be some sort of class/training for anyone buying anything over 25' +/-. Just like motorcycles. Been away from boats for a number of years but Coast Guard courses should be required if not already. I took a one month Coast Guard course once I started buying boats over 24'.

STUFF IN THE GARAGE: F150, ChevyII Pro Street, Roush Mustang
Jus Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #49

well the state of nh you need license to drive a boat over 25 hp. cost $30.00. Next it will be motorhomes?
hauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #50
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jus Cruzin,
Dealers will tell you what they want to get you to buy an item from them. I have heard of dealers telling 1/2 ton truck owners that their truck would pull a 13,000 pound 5th wheel. Yes, it may pull it, but will it stop it?

As to the Florida DL, I'm not a Floridian. I am going on what the manual states and it states, according to the link provided, that in Florida, if you have a vehicle that is 26,001 pounds or less you need a Class E license. It does not state what you need if your vehicle is over 26,001 pounds, unless you go into the CDL license above that paragraph pertaining to the Class E.

You may be correct, but can you show it to me in writing. This question about licensing has been on-going for some time for all different states. I even think there is a link somewhere to a chart of state requirements. I'll have to look for that and see what it says. In the meantime, I personally would not take for granted anyone who just states, "a special license is not required." But hey! That's just me.

I had a CDL (Texas). I got a ticket and had to pay $164 to the Governor. I could not take defensive driving because I had a CDL. Since I was not driving commercially any more, I went to DMV and converted it to a Texas Class A. I could have just opted for a class B, but why if I was qualified for a Class A (no restrictions).

I['m going to go look for the list.

Edited: According to this web site they have the answer.

I'm still researching.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #51

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Richard,
According to my friend and fellow amateur radio operator who is a FDOT Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer (now a part of the Florida Highway Patrol since July 1) the fact that the vehicle is an RV is the deciding factor. In other words, a Class E will suffice for driving it for RECREATIONAL purposes. The guy that services your motor home and the guy that delivers it from the factory must hold a Class A, as they are NOT using it for recreational purposes. On an RV, the weight restriction on Class E doesn't matter so long as the RV is being used for recreational purposes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
While I am definitely against more Federal government rules/laws (the only amendment I cherish more than the 2nd is the 10th), I have always been amazed that I just went to the dealership paid my money and drove off in a 40' DP without anyone even asking if I had a clue how to drive such a monster.

Reminds me of buying my first motorcycle, bought it and drove it home in the pouring rain. Had never driven a m/c in life before that day. Fortunately I got home safely. I figured how hard could it be, I'll just learn as I go.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just love these licensing threads.

So who do you believe? Dealers that will try to sell you anything. Police Officers, DMV Inspectors, who?

Several years ago I visited the local DMV office here in Texas. Now mind you, this is for TEXAS. I asked the nice officer at the desk about what was required to drive specific vehicles. I was not happy with the answer because I know in my mind that what they were telling me was not in keeping with what I had read in the manual. So I questioned the officer again with some specifics, and controversial manual items quoting both section 521 and 522. The officer was now as confused as I was, and called on of the driving inspectors. The driving inspector call another driving inspector. We discussed it, I stated my case regarding the manual, and we all came to an agreement. The agreement was as I had interpreted from the manual, but it was not without some doubt on "their" part. Especially since what I was saying required a high license for specific situations, and how could that be wrong. If you only need a lower class license and you opt for a higher class license - well, you see the point.

Over the years I have kept up with this portion of the driving manual and what I have found is that with each new publication, punctuation can change and some wording can change. This is only in the driving license manual, not the actual laws regarding driving. Those are two separate issues. The driver's license manual should be close to scenarios a driver would encounter, but it is not the law and may have been typed up by a 1st year typist.

Trust me, please, the information in publications change. The web site I posted regarding the requirements of states licensing has Texas incorrectly sited in their comment section (for now).

They state:

"Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR (while towing > 10,000 lb) requires non-commercial Class A or B"

The Texas Drivers License manual states: (for now)

"2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,
except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001
pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds
, or a
farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed
20,000 pounds;"

I made the print bold in the area specically applying to a Class B requirement in Texas.

If you have been following the driver license history in the manual, you will know that this is not the same wording as in previous editions.

Regarding the original post, I am not a Floridian. I no nothing about the laws of Florida, but you can bet you bippy that I would not rely on the word of mouth or telephone conversation to find out if I am legal to drive what I drive if I lived in that state. The only time it may ever come into the light is should something happen, and God forbid and keep you all safe.

Edited:
p.s., they finally have the words in the Texas Transportation Code SUBCHAPTER D, to state the same type of information in the Driver License Handbook, or the other way around.