Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #15

"generally, it does not hurt the jacks or the coach to have the front wheels off the ground, but not the rear. gas coaches have a emergency brake that locks the rear wheels only. if you lift those, the coach can roll. air brakes lock all four wheels."

Been in trucking 38 yrs... Never seen "spring type" parking brakes (air brakes) on the front wheels... Really ???? Can you send a pic of the brake canister ? If you loose air pressure, that means your STEER axle locks up.... ummm... In that thought,,, I'd say keep your tires on the ground ... As much as possible. My opinion...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I look at this two ways - neutral and bad.

Neutral - Front wheels off the ground. Varies with chassis and individual owners desires. For some doesn't matter, others fear causing damage to suspension components or alignment problems. The potential varies between chassis makes and models. Individual owners should research any restrictions or recommendations the chassis maker may have.

Bad - Lifting the rear axles must be avoided due to loss of parking braking effectiveness. At least one axle, either left or right, needs to be in firm solid contact with the ground for effective parking brake action. If the coach slips, even a little, you risk damaging a jack that may not longer retract which could result in extending your stay where ever you might be. Also avoid having to extend a jack to it's maximum limit. A jack has a lot of vertical strength not so much horizontally which will diminish with more extension as posted by ThePowells.

Another Bad- Having install jacks makes life a bit easier for a shade tree mechanic but never, ever, crawl or work under a coach supported only by a pressurized medium such as oil or air. Be it air bags, installed jacks or even a 50 ton air/hydraulic floor jack. Blow out a $1.00 O-ring while you're under it and your camping days are over.

My coach is built on a late model F53 with leaf springs, solid front/rear axle so hanging the fronts in the air isn't a problem but I do try and avoid. If the rear has to come up to level I'll try and reposition in the camp site and if that doesn't work ask for a different site.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Camp Freightliner teaches to never, ever level the coach with any of the wheels off the ground. I figure since they built the chassis they should know. The instructor was pretty emphatic about it.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
gas coaches have a emergency brake that locks the rear wheels only. if you lift those, the coach can roll. air brakes lock all four wheels.
(my dads favorite quote)
Since my airbrake coach has 6 wheels & tires, and when I set the "parking brake or emergency brake " it only locks the rear axle which has 4 of those wheels & tires. The front axle does not lock. If it is supposed to lock, then I have been cheated on my airbrake coaches I have owned.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #19

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Wheels on ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
On my last coach if the front wheels came off the ground I would lower it and drive up on some blocks. Add same amount under jacks and start over. Never liked having front wheels hanging in the breeze. New one I have not encountered this.
I agree. If not level I also drive on blocks and use same amount under jack. My manual also states that wheels should not be off ground.
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I hear this word level a lot. I asked several ppl about that they said it's ok to have tires off the ground but I still don't do it. Instead I level manually and get it close. The fleetwod. Ppl said it doesn't have to be perfect.. get a refrigerator bullseye level. If the bubble touches the inside circle, shut it off and have fun camping
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, leveling