Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Class A or 5er?

I thought this would be a good place to post since it wouldn't be in one of the specific categories.

Bottomline, what is better, a Class A or a 5er and why?

We just finished up a couple of 5th wheel factory tours and decided that we like New Horizons the best. But it got me to thinking...if I have, say 265k into a 5th wheel and another 75k into the tow rig, what kind of Class A rig could I get into (I know lots of choices), and for that price, are they entry level Class A's or good quality.....good enough to full time?

Any advantage to either one?
Thanks
Bgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Feb 2015 we paid $349,000 for our 45' 650 hp quad slide MH that had a sticker price of right at $750,000. Very high quality with it's semi-monocoque welded steel chassis. The problems have mainly been the Cummins ISX engine, new tires and slide covers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #3

after shopping and shopping, I am now a owner of a 40' 2004 Winnebago triple slide 370 HP for less then your tow rig.
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #4

Bottom line is it may be a matter of preference but if you plan on doing lots of travelling from place to place then you would probably enjoy the comfort and convenience of a class A.

If you're mostly going to travel to from point A, stay awhile and then return to point B then maybe a fifth wheel is better for you.

That's the simple answer...there are many other mitigating factors though.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #5

There is no honest answer to a What is better question . There’s good reason why there are so many options . If you’ve never owned either , you might want it o consider used
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Bottom line is it may be a matter of preference but if you plan on doing lots of travelling from place to place then you would probably enjoy the comfort and convenience of a class A.

If you're mostly going to travel to from point A, stay awhile and then return to point B then maybe a fifth wheel is better for you.

For now, we plan on selling our home in Alaska and staying there for a few years living in whatever we buy. After that, travel the country and visit kids and family on the east coast and mountain states, periodically returning to Alaska.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
There is no honest answer to a What is better question . There’s good reason why there are so many options . If you’ve never owned either , you might want it o consider used
Maybe I should've qualified that by asking: if you've owned both, what do you prefer?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzo View Post
For now, we plan on selling our home in Alaska and staying there for a few years living in whatever we buy. After that, travel the country and visit kids and family on the east coast and mountain states, periodically returning to Alaska.
If you're going to park it and live in it for a few years then a trailer or fifth wheel would be better suited for that. Motorhomes are made for traveling...sitting around does them no good.

I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to live in an RV during an Alaskan winter though.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
If you're going to park it and live in it for a few years then a trailer or fifth wheel would be better suited for that. Motorhomes are made for traveling...sitting around does them no good.

I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to live in an RV during an Alaskan winter though.
Makes sense.
New Horizons has a -10 guarantee, I'm not too worried about since our winters aren't as brutal as some think.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #10

As others have said, it depends on how you plan to use it. 5th wheels are great if you plan to sit in one place for 6 weeks or more at a time, and don't mind your daily driver being a 1 ton or larger dual rear wheel pickup truck. By contrast class A motorhomes are easier to move around and quickly set up, they also allow you to tow around a smaller exploration vehicle.

I also want to strongly encourage you to buy used the first time around, consider something upper end model 5-12 years old that has been well maintained, preferably with service records and that has spent most of its life stored indoor or at least under a roof. As it is very hard to buy the right RV the first time around, and simply put, you don't know what your don't know. Only through living with an RV will you find out of those features you thought would be important really are, as well as how many things you never gave a second thought to are either real headaches or are wonderful features.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:46 AM   #11

Quote:
I thought this would be a good place to post since it wouldn't be in one of the specific categories.

Bottomline, what is better, a Class A or a 5er and why?
Neither is better. It depends on how you will use it. Class A's are for travel with the comfort of making lunch, hitting the head and your co-pilot accessing the refrig while underway. Even pulling off the side of the road and taking a nap.

Because of the drive train they are more expensive to maintain. Lot's of class A's tow a compact car and the owners use it as their primary car when not RVing. A compact car is much easier to maneuver in the Walmart parking lot than a pickup truck large enough to pull a 5th.

We just finished up a couple of 5th wheel factory tours and decided that we like New Horizons the best. But it got me to thinking...if I have, say 265k into a 5th wheel and another 75k into the tow rig, what kind of Class A rig could I get into (I know lots of choices), and for that price, are they entry level Class A's or good quality.....good enough to full time?

I had no idea you could pay 265k for a 5th. For that money you could get a big upper end 2-3 yo Class A.
Any advantage to either one?
Thanks
Quote:

I would agree. In a couple of years when we won't be traveling as much as we do now we plan on selling our Class A and buying a 5th. We'll place it on one of our favorite places we visited during our Class A travels and live in it during the summer.

Each has it's advantages depending on how you want to use it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #12

We have camped in tents, pop-ups, travel trailer, 5th wheels, and now a motor home. There are pros and cons for each type of RV. Your post did not mention if you had done any camping prior. So, here are a few things to think about...
1. If you are able to rent an RV, that would help you make your decision,
2. If you know of anyone with an RV, ask them about the pros and cons of their RV,
3. If you choose a 5th wheel, you will need a truck that is rated for the weight of the 5th wheel,
4. If you choose a motorhome, you may need a vehicle to tow behind,
5. If your truck/tailer combo, or your motorhome with or without the towed vehicle, exceeds 26,000 lbs, then you may need to upgrade your drivers license, depending upon the state where you have your domicile.
6. Insurance on the RV is different for each type of RV,
7. We have bought used because a couple of years age really causes the valuation of the RV to drop significantly.

Hope these points help as you work your way through the maze of determining which RV is best for you.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Makes sense.
New Horizons has a -10 guarantee, I'm not too worried about since our winters aren't as brutal as some think.
well it does not have to be brutal, just below 32. As you know that is when water freezes. That is when your rv starts having issues.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Makes sense.
What will New Horizons do for you if your rig freezes up and it's warmer than -10 ? Send a couple of repair guys out with wool blankets and a thermos full of hot chocolate ?
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a