Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Class A VS Class C?

I was recently reading an article online that touted the virtues of the class C over the class A because they were easier to drive and got much better gas mileage. Am I missing something here? Most of the class C coaches I have looked at, according to their owners, get the same mileage as the A coaches do. Around 9-10 MPG. Either the guy writing the article is in error, or the owners that I have been negotiating with are in error. What is the truth as you who are experienced in these matters see it?

Thanks.
EricM1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM1963 View Post
I was recently reading an article online that touted the virtues of the class C over the class A because they were easier to drive and got much better gas mileage. Am I missing something here? Most of the class C coaches I have looked at, according to their owners, get the same mileage as the A coaches do. Around 9-10 MPG. Either the guy writing the article is in error, or the owners that I have been negotiating with are in error. What is the truth as you who are experienced in these matters see it?

Thanks.
I just made this change this year. After 15000 miles in my class A my findings are as follows:

My 30’ class c got mid 8mpg
My 30’ class A gets mid 6’s

But the class A weighs 6000lbs more and has more wind resistance. So it comes down to what you want to drive and live with. Comparing MPG is only a minor parameter and since you are going to be burning lots of gas either way, I think its more important to focus on amenities, living space, storage, etc.

As for ease of driving, the class C does take less effort, but the Class A is more maneuverable and has better visibility, leg room, and bigger more comfortable seats. Its also more fun in my opinion. So again, trade offs.

Best thing to do is drive both and look at living and storage space, and ease of getting in and out of both the drivers seat and passenger seat. My co-pilot/navigator greatly prefers the ease of moving around under way in the class A.

If headroom is a factor the Class A will probably be preferable. Mine has an 84” ceiling height and ducted AC, and of course no cab-over, so there is nothing to hit my head on.

Hope this helps for a start. This is the low hanging fruit, Theres a lot of threads here on this subject that get way down in the weeds on this.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

Don't believe anybody's mileage claims.

Some use the gauge on the dash, waiting for the few times it reads the highest, and take that as overall mileage.

Some hotrod more the others. I like to set the cruise and maintance a steady speed on the highway. Others let the MH slow down going up hill and then let it fly going down. That may give better mileage but who wants to drive near him.

A bigger, heavier vehicle will use more gas.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 30 ft C 9-9.5 mpg. Ordered a A. Dealer said it will get 6-8 mpg. Also 1300 lb fo C vs 2600 lbs fo A. Probably not even a fair comparison.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
you may find that there are more places you can get into in a class c however i would and did take a class a over the class c and super c. more livable room more creature comforts as for mileage my coach is a gas 39 ft with a 8.5 x 20 ft enclosed trailer gm 8.1 liter with banks power system over 20 states traveled in the last 7 months and average 5.5 mpg
Old 11-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 31' 2015 Class C - we got 7.2 mpg towing our MKX toad. I hated driving it.

We traded it for a 38' 2017 Class A - we get 6.4 mpg towing our MKX toad. I like driving it.

Can't explain it, but the sitting in a truck cab Class C was a chore to drive. While sitting in the comfy captain's chair with huge windshield Class A is a delight.

Huge driving difference between the "C" which was a 5-speed transmission and the A which has a 6-speed transmission. Ford made the change halfway through 2016 in both styles of RVs

PS. Bad roads are bad in both the C and the A.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My 40' diesel pusher rides much smoother than a spring suspension and the cockpit is fully usable living space with the chairs turned around. Having the door up front also allows for a huge kitchen counter space for washing dishes and food prep. Tons of storage inside and out. Driving while looking out the huge front windshield is an experience all in itself. On top of all that gets 8 to 8.5 MPG towing a 3500 lb toad. No class C could ever compare to it for meeting my wants and needs. Maybe there are some places I can't go but the ones I can I get there in comfort.

Having said that everyone's wants and needs are different. Class C's are great if they meet your needs. Find the floorplan, equipment, and price point you want and don't worry about fuel mileage. In the end it is a tiny factor in your RV finances.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Over 8 years time we measure at every fill-up. We got consistently around 8mpg; sometimes up to 9. We traveled the western mountains pulling the Jeep with our 40' MH - Cummins diesel. We were very pleased what we got. Note that we didn't drive over 65mph which makes a big difference in mileage.

We both drove the motorhome and it handled great.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

It's been my experience that mileage claims are usually fairly inaccurate.

I remember back in the early 70's when folks first started buying small imports for the good mileage. We had a guy in the office who was bragging that he was going to blow everybody out of the water with his mileage when he bought a Toyota. Everyday, when his new car, we'd sneak out and pour a gallon or two of gas in his tank. After a couple of weeks he was all excited over getting 100MPG on his new import. Burst his bubble when we told him what we'd been doing.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had a Class C for ~11 years, we got about 7.5mpg. Driving was fatiguing, the dog house was so hot you'd burn yourself on it, and with the engine in the front it was loud (I mean loud) you couldn't hold a conversation.

We've had our Class A for right at 11 years, we've averaged + 8 mpg. It is nice to drive, good visibility, no engine noise.

Hands down the Class A is better then a Class C IMHO.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #11

We get 7 mpg in our 29’ class “A” but I love the comfort and the added benefit of the cab area being part of the living area. We traded a class “C” that got 15 mpg because it was a MB diesel but it was just not big enough. We determined that after driving from Florida to Alaska. LOL
Old 11-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #12

We had a 28' Class C on a Ford E450 chassis with the 2-valve V-10. It averaged about 8.5 mpg.

We now have a 30' Class A on a Ford F53 chassis with the 3-valve V-10 and average about 8.1 mpg.

The Class C was easier to drive. I liked a driver and passenger door and electric roll-down windows with a pickup-like cab. I felt safer knowing I had more than one way out.

The Class A is more comfortable for living in, and since we're in it at least 100 nights a year often for two weeks at a time without moving, that took precedence over the time spent driving.

Our A utilizes swivel driver and passenger seats with a small table to enhance the living area for a larger living area on a chassis only a few inches longer. It has a shorter wheelbase, which make it more maneuverable in tight places.

In our C the driver / passenger area was pretty much useless for living area. But storage was useful in that area and the area over that cab was good for storage.

Pluses and minuses to both. Go look and think about your needs. They may not be like ours.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #13

We have a class A and our good friends have a class C. There are pros and cons about each. Take a serious look at how you will be living in the RV and go from there.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #14

We have owned a 25 foot class C and now own a 34 foot class A, both with the V10 engine and 5 speed transmission. The C got about 1 mpg better than the A in similar driving conditions. GVWR for the C was 11,500# and for the A is 20,500#.
The A has a lot more storage and room inside. We both like driving the A better and at 70, do not miss climbing up into the cab over bunk. I don't think we would ever go back to a C.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c