Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Geez where in Florida do you only pay $14.. everyplace I've called or go to is closer to $20.

Now I don't mean to get on a soap box but for those questioning why a tank isn't filled to #20 lbs a little information. A 20# LPG tank theoretically contains 4.72 gallons but in practice may only contain 4.1 gallons since gas cylinders are not supposed to be filled more than 80% full. Pressure within a propane tank, large or small, can range between 100 and 200 psi and even higher when the tank gets hot in the sun on a back porch or stored outside. There's OSHA and NFPA regulations that have taken many years of experience to develop rules governing propane tanks. The max. 80% fill is designed to allow 20% for vapor expansion which is critical to keep the tank safe. According to DOT regulations to my knowledge tanks under 200 Lbs. needs to be filled by weight. Also in the United States, a propane bottle is certified for 12 years from the date of manufacture, Canada it’s 10 years. A recertified tank is good for 5, 7, or 12 years, depending on the method and type of recertification. Now I don't claim to be an expert and things could've changed since I retired several years ago so there's lots of information out there. If you never been to a propane explosion, fire or worse yet a BLEVE believe me it's no fun and makes you appreciate tight regulations. Fighting fires like what happened in Andover, Mass a few years back of Lowell many years ago at Lowell Gas Company were lack of a better term, interesting !!

Got changed;
10 yrs after date of mfg
and 5, 10, 10 years on recerts
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Amerigas is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I had them for my home propane delivery. Terrible service and prices. Incorrect Bills, High Prices and they let me run out of fuel even though I was on automatic delivery. Others I know have had similar experience.

Switched to another company as I owned my tank.

I don't know how they stay in business.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 desoto View Post
In Florida, where I have my tank refilled, I get 20# for $14...
Tractor supply in Florida around me is $9.81 to fill a 20 pound tank. Think its 2.49 a gallon
Radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #32

Propane cylinders suit

I’m fortunate in that I have a major propane distributor around the corner from my home. I fill my tanks and they have an easy in/easy out bay for RVs.
I do exchange tanks on a weekend if needed when they are closed.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicaltimes View Post
Tractor supply in Florida around me is $9.81 to fill a 20 pound tank. Think its 2.49 a gallon
More like $2.08/gal, if you're paying $9.81 and getting the whole 20 lb, which is about 4.7 gallons at the 80% full mark. That's incredibly cheap.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #34

Everyone who saved a receipt for a $15 propane cylinder from 2009, please raise your hand !!!
afd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
"Exchange-a-jug" is just another example of the "I want it now" attitude and lifestyle in this country.
I think that is a bit harsh.

My RV has one of the built-in tanks so I couldn't exchange it even if I wanted to, but there have been plenty of times when waiting for a propane fill was not a 15 minute experience. One wait was more than an hour because of the line, one resulted in my leaving after about 20 minutes because the person who fills the tank never came out to do the work despite repeated requests, and other times it has just taken a lot of time.

I am not sure I would exchange the tank if I could, but there are times when it might be tempting regardless of whether or not the tank was "shorted". I have better things to be doing than sitting for an hour or more waiting for a propane fill.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hummmmmm

Folks exchange old/out of date cylinders for a in-date cylinder and then complain about it not being filled to 80% level

Seems like tit for tat
Would you be mad if your beer can says 12oz but only get 11oz? You should get what you pay for.
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 PM   #37

How about a can of coffee not weighing 1 pound.

Oh wait, that already happened.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicaltimes View Post
Almost a "too good to be true price". I am skeptical. Possibly your bottle was not empty.? Anyhow, Flroida is a large state, 800 miles from Pensacola to Key West. Where exactly are you buying propane at that price?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 AM   #39

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
EGwilly has the right idea. I always use Costco for my BBque tanks at home and my built in tank in the MH. Biggest reason is, they only charge for what they put in, not a total refill charge. Any others out there doing that need support as well.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #40

Our local Ace hardware sells by the metered gallon and has back in RV access or drive through if you remove your tanks. Not the roomiest parking lot, though. I think they went up to 3.09 with the recent spike in propane prices.

Tavares, FL.

The staff there actually knows how to fill both portable and mounted tanks.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Our local Ace hardware sells by the metered gallon and has back in RV access or drive through if you remove your tanks. Not the roomiest parking lot, though. I think they went up to 3.09 with the recent spike in propane prices.

Tavares, FL.

The staff there actually knows how to fill both portable and mounted tanks.
A trained monkey can fill a propane tank.

Hook up hose and wait for the meter to stop.

Some ask you to shut down fridge, some shut your supply valve, some open the bleeder screw, some even tell the passengers to get out of the RV.

No one has ever asked about the water heater and most just shoot it in until the OPD ( Overfill Protection Device ) stops the flow.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you look at the signs on the exchange tank places it actually doesn’t say how much your getting in the bottle. The reason your getting less than full is to adjust for the fluctuations in the actual propane prices. Those retailers want a product where the price point remains constant. So the suppliers fill their bottles to that price point.

Example Let’s say Home Depot does exchange for $17 and tank has 4.5 gallons in it. Then the price of propane starts going up. HD still wants to sell an exchange for $17 so supplier only puts 4 gallons in the tanks.
They do this so you know what your going to pay when you go there, every time. Remember the largest purchasers of exchange bottles is not RVers but home grills. RVers learn to go to Tractor Suppy or many other places and have their own bottles filled.

Tags
class a, propane