RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #1

Cleaning Engine Bay

So I got my business sold last week, and am trying to get used to the idea of actually being retired. I just turned 59, and my wife and I are kind of negotiating with each other over if I am really "retired" retired.

Anyway, we have a 2012 Silverado that we purchased new to help with the construction of our house. My wife was the general contractor for the job (that's why the build time was 4 years ). The truck was used to pick up building supplies, etc. This truck has always been un-garaged, in the extreme Valley of the Sun. I honestly never paid it much attention, because my wife usually drove it. So now I have all this luxurious free time, garage space for it, and I decided to clean it up. I washed, polished and waxed the exterior. I power cleaned the interior, and wanted to clean the very dirty engine bay. I consulted a few internet sources and used most of the techniques from Chris Fix, here is his link:

So here are some before/after photos of my Silverado engine bay, I thought it turned out well:

[IMG][/IMG]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #2

So today I decided to open my 10 year old gas motorhome's dog house, and see what type of challenge the Vortec 8.1 would present. If you are bored and want to spend an afternoon on your hands and knees reaching down into a cramped space, give this a try. Maybe post some of your own before/after photos.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
So today I decided to open my 10 year old gas motorhome's dog house, and see what type of challenge the Vortec 8.1 would present. If you are bored and want to spend an afternoon on your hands and knees reaching down into a cramped space, give this a try. Maybe post some of your own before/after photos.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
So did you also wet clean it?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

This is a good example why I use my favorite tool - the Power Washer - way too much. I will routinely power wash the engine compartment of all the vehicles. Including the Class A Gas with the dog house...
Degreaser seems optional and only for when it's really grimy.
Simple Green works great to get rid of the dirt staining.

The upside is immediate satisfaction with a low amount of time and effort. The downside is I just had to diagnose why my "Man Lift" starter wouldn't engage. Found a relay mounted wire side up that was bad. I am sure it went bad due to power washing the unit the week before probably filled the relay up with water

If you did all that cleaning by hand - great job getting into all the nooks and crannies!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

Davl, Power washing may be ok for some but is not recommended by most vehicle manufacturers. This can force water into places it should not be. I prefer using either Simple Green and a water hose for mildly dirty engines or Purple Power and a hot water hose for really grimy engines. I do clean my engines if they need it when I wash the vehicle.

FredK20716, Good job on cleaning up your engines.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:14 AM   #6

Hi Fredk. No, I did not use water in there. One thing I used that was not in the Chris Fixx video were disposable ArmorAll cleaning wipes. They are very useful for getting the grime off, especially in the small nooks. Just use one until its dirty, toss it and pop out a clean fresh one. Very convenient.

Tags
engine