Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

Cleaning the RV/Vacuum

What kind of vaccuum do you use in the RV? A little stick vac? Mini Shop Vac?

We usually only get to go camping 5 weekends + 1 vacation week per year. During our weekend getaways I just vaccuum when we get home. Well our vacation week starts Aug. 14! Going a whole week without cleaning the floors drives me crazy. We track in way to much grass/dirt from being outside all the time.

Currently, we don't have a basement. I'm hoping that changes this weekend...we are going to look at several newer-to-us motorhomes with full basements and about 4'+ longer!
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I bought a Dyson-----works great on everything including pet hair
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

We bought a mini shop vac, and have used it for about 5 years with no problems.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have tried three different vacs including a Eureka Whirlwind and a Shark - I don't remember what the other one was. None of them worked very well in our opinion.

A few years ago I took the Eureka into a vacuum sales and repair shop and told him I wanted something a lot better and still small since it was for a motor home. He tested the suction and the airflow on the Eureka (said the airflow is more important than the suction) and came up with a Super Fastvac 500 Vacuum made by Schneider Industries in California. It has 85 inches of water lift and 115 cubic feet of airflow. That was over twice what the Eureka had and over three times what the Shark had. It's pricey - list is $170 but it does a heck of a job. I also bought a vacuum powered carpet brush head that cost another $38 and unlike the one that came with the Shark, it is hard to slow down.

It's small: Weight = 4.5 pounds, Dimensions =7”x12.5”x4.5” but powerful and comes with the usual attachments plus attachments for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. Those work great on the motor home dash.

Vacuum shops carry them but I haven't seen them at the mass merchandisers like Target or Walmart. I have seen it at Amazon and other places for as little as $80.
The web site is HERE if you are interested.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an Electrolux which does a super job---very efficient---but has a smaller storage space for what you take up. Easy change of bag however. We like it especially because it folds very nicely into a smaller storage---but work like a big vaccum. Sorry it is not here to get the model (it stay with the MH) but look on line. Little pricey as I recall---but you could use it at home no problem.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #6

I use a built in dirt devil and use the dyson on it when we get home.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We also have the Dirt Devil central vac built in but with two dogs and no beater bar/brush it doesn't cut it on the rug so we drag along a Eureka upright.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Dyson DC24 All-Floors ...it is the mini-Dyson. It picks up an amazing amount of "stuff" in a small space. We also have a built-in Dirt Devil (under the name Maxum2000) ...it works ok for little cleanups but wasn't doing the job we wanted for full-time living.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyaim View Post
What kind of vaccuum do you use in the RV? A little stick vac? Mini Shop Vac?

We usually only get to go camping 5 weekends + 1 vacation week per year. During our weekend getaways I just vaccuum when we get home. Well our vacation week starts Aug. 14! Going a whole week without cleaning the floors drives me crazy. We track in way to much grass/dirt from being outside all the time.

Currently, we don't have a basement. I'm hoping that changes this weekend...we are going to look at several newer-to-us motorhomes with full basements and about 4'+ longer!
For your situation I would just get an inexpensive upright vacuum and do a more through cleaning when you get home. It's hard to keep everything out of RV when camping, especially with kids and pets. This is what we do and we spend 3 months in Florida during winter time because we are retired and have son and family living in Florida.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We went to Sears and found a small portable vac (not a shop vac) with LOTS of suction! Don't remember what we paid for it but we are very happy with the performance! Happy trails
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just bought the Eureka Easy Clean handheld. It has excellent suction, a brush roller and a hose with an onboard crevice tool.

Works great on the hair from the St. Bernard!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #12

Got a cheap no-name "reconditioned" upright for about $32 at a Dollar General type store. It's fairly light and small, and does a good enough job on carpet and vinyl while we are on the road. For a good cleaning, we use the home upright and a big shop vac.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We have an Intervac built-in now.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #14

Before we retired, DW kept a small stick-type in the 5er, and really cleaned when we returned home. It worked out well. Now she has a cannister-type Dirt Devil(w/carpet head) in the 5er. The one thing I really do not like is_ it is bagless. I hate cleaning it out, and a replacement HEPA filter costs as much as a package of bags for our Electrolux at home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote