Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Cleaning the top

Roof crud, I let my 95 CC sit to long outside and I have a buildup of black grime on the roof. I was wondering if anyone had a good cleaner to remove side grime. I’ve tried soap/water and elbow grease, no luck, any advice is welcome….
RufusEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusEarl View Post
Roof crud, I let my 95 CC sit to long outside and I have a buildup of black grime on the roof. I was wondering if anyone had a good cleaner to remove side grime. I’ve tried soap/water and elbow grease, no luck, any advice is welcome….
Get a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on a sponge mop. Wet the roof and also the Erasier & go to work. The black stuff will come off. Wash down with plenty of water. When dry, coat the roof only with a couple of heavy coats of Mop & Glow. Try not to let the Mop & Glow run down the side walls. Finish up with washing the side walls with any automative wash or what ever your preference. This is for a fiberglass roof.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I use Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store. About 8 oz in a 5 gallon bucket, bad spots I spray on straight and let stand. Still have to use a long handle brush but it works as well as anything I have found and, it's cheap.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When we were in Columbia Falls('10), we had one of their dust storms - turned rain storms. Had mud all over the top of the MH that was dripping over the sides. Never seen anything like it. Got up there with a 'scruby' on a stick and found lots of black gunk under the mud. Nothing would take that stuff off. Finally, I spent four hours on my hands and knees with a small kitchen scrub sponge and two bottles of Soft Scrub. Low and behold, the roof is white!

We'd only had the MH for a year and I suspect the PO had never cleaned the roof...along with my own neglect. I won't let that happen again!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

A good low pressure washer no more than 1200 to 1400 would do it in short order and not damage if you kept the wand away about 12 to 16 in and keep it moving in a fan motion
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #6

We have a tpo, rubber roof, and the Damon book said bio washing liquid, cloth washing stuff. Well, it works a treat with a medium bristle brush. Couple of goes, ours had never been washed, and it turned out roof was white!
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Strong detergent with plenty of bleach for the roof, whether EPDM rubber, TPO or fiberglass. Use a medium bristle brush - it makes the chore easier than a mop. Then wash down the sides right away, before the runoff from the roof dries on and adds to the side problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #8

I live on a farm. I dont have a place to park my 5er inside. It is dusty every dang day it seems like. I get the black crud every year.
Forget the soap and scrubbing. I use a hot water power washer. Take it right off 10 min Im done. The hard part is I need someone on the ground to hold the hose away from the side or the hose itself leaves rubber marks all over.
Some car washes have outdoor bays for larger vehicles. That should work.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

Thanks allot for the advice, between all of the suggestions I should find one that works for me. As always thanks......*
RufusEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used Awesome from the dollar store along with with the Mr Clean bleach sponge for some of the dirtier spots on the roof. They do a great job.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I used a Product Called "Mold Armor E-Z House Cleaner" from HD. Put on end of hose, spray on MH let sit 10 minutes Rinse off.
I used it after buying my 82 PA, Metal Roof and Fiberglass siding and lots of black mold and some mildew thrown in for good measure, (Sat under a Huge Silver maple) and it works just like it says.
I also rinsed it off with a lite pressure washer, then re-rinsed whole MH.
Turns out the MH was Beige on Beige...
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

My neighbour uses 'deck wash' on his rubber roof. The product can be had at Home Depot and is normally used to clean wooden deck surfaces. I have seen what it does and it does a great job without a lot of rubbing and scrubbing and the associated vocabulary you might expect!!