Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 05:51 AM   #1

Cleaning the Windshield

When on the road, at the end of the day or first thing the next morning, how do you clean your windshield?As I sit here looking out at this huge bug catcher, I realize I need a step stool and a long handled squeegee or some other combination of tools. It sounds like a lot of trouble at the end of the day or first thing in the morning before heading out.
dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a step stool but it's not quite high enough but I have a slideout generator and can use that as a platform to reach most of the window. Paper towels and good window cleaner does the job. I do not clean it every day if if isn't that bad. Using the wipers and fluid also helps.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

I do it after getting set up in a campsite or, if traveling, when I stop for the night. I use an eight foot step ladder, a couple of microfiber towels, and a 50/50 mix of the green anti bug windshield washer in a spray bottle. Takes me about 15 minutes.
Then I wash and dry the rest of the front end with a bucket of water and more microfiber towels. That takes about 20 minutes.

Once those bugs get hardened and baked on for a few days, it doubles the time it takes to clean up the front end, and the bug acid has had a chance to do it's worst. -Paul
Old 11-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I buy gas early in the morning as we set out or late in the evening before settling down.
Seems like the places and lanes I chose always have a long handled squeegee and some even a water faucet in addition to their soap bucket. One or both of us can get the job done about the same time the pump finishes.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #5

I have a long handled squeegee bug scrubber thing but it does not have perfect results especially with lots of bug stuff. When I want it good and clean I get out my ladder and use Windex and paper towels. Sometimes I will use a dry wash and micro fiber towels.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only time I do a through cleaning is when I get to my long term campsite or I get home. Then I get out my bucket and long handled car wash brush along with an aluminum looking mylar scrubbing pad for the bugs. Put a little car wash soap and water in the bucket (I am liking Armoral Ultra Shine). Soap it up with the brush then get on my short little giant clone ladder in the folded position. Clean the bugs with the scrub pad, then I use a 12" squeegee pulling it across the windshield, not up and down. I don't bother rinsing. Then clean the rest of the front of the rig and I am good to go. IMO a squeegee is the only way to leave a truly clean window. Everything else seems to leave a bit of a residue. Inside, no choice but windex and paper towels.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #7

Like several others, I use a telescoping handled pole with a scrubber/squeegee combination head. Warm soap and water to scrub the windshield and squeegee to wipe off. Then, I drape a dish towel over the scrubber/squeegee head and wipe the windshield once more to remove the squeegee lines or any remaining moisture. No ladder or step stool needed. Unless the bug stuff is baked on, this is an effective way for routine cleaning, and if done routinely, the stuff doesn't usually get baked on.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
A coat or two of Rejex will help release the bug guts. I also use this stuff on the front of the rig. Makes cleaning a lot easier.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #9

I also use a telescoping handles for cleaning the windshield. I put a car wash brush I got at Sam's Club on one pole, a bug sponge/squeegee head on a second one, and a Waterblade squeegee on another. I put a little bit of car wash soap in a tub full of water, and wet down the windshield liberally with the car wash brush. I use the bug sponge head to scrub any stubborn places, and swap between it and the car wash brush to get all the bug guts off. Then, I dump the soapy water, rinse out the car wash brush, and put clean water in my tub to rinse the windshield. After rinsing a section, I use the Waterblade to squeegee it off so there are no streaks. With the telescoping poles I can reach the top of the front cap without using a step stool.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:15 AM   #10

In love bug season we need to clean the bugs off every 20 to 30 minutes. I use the same squeegee-scrubber, but keep a bucket with a mix of bug off & car wash to clean with. I rinse with plain water using a soft brush on a pole. I save the washing solution in the bucket for next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Like several others, I use a telescoping handled pole with a scrubber/squeegee combination head. Warm soap and water to scrub the windshield and squeegee to wipe off. Then, I drape a dish towel over the scrubber/squeegee head and wipe the windshield once more to remove the squeegee lines or any remaining moisture. No ladder or step stool needed. Unless the bug stuff is baked on, this is an effective way for routine cleaning, and if done routinely, the stuff doesn't usually get baked on.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've found that Totally Awesome in a spray bottle is very effective at loosening up the love bugs. I use it to pretreat the windshield before scrubbing the bugs off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
In love bug season we need to clean the bugs off every 20 to 30 minutes. I use the same squeegee-scrubber, but keep a bucket with a mix of bug off & car wash to clean with. I rinse with plain water using a soft brush on a pole. I save the washing solution in the bucket for next time.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I try to clean the windshield after every travel day...if I don't, the buildup just makes the job harder...especially during love bug season - I hate those flying battery acid bugs! The darn things will eat into your clear coat if left on too long.

I've gone through two or three telescoping handles during those long 5&1/2 month trips, so I got a good solid, long wood handle from H D and mounted a 12" squeegee/netted sponge head on it's end. Thing works great and I can reach above the marker lights without the use of a stool/ladder.

I swear that windshield gets larger every time I clean it...

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #13

I use RejeX on my windshield and headlights as well as paint.

The bugs don't stick.

I use a bit of overkill and reapply it twice a year.

To clean my windshield I have a telescopic squeegee and bug cleaner. I have a plastic ice holding tray from the dollar store that I pour some windshield washer fluid in that I dip the squeegee into. I can reach the top of my DP windshield without a step ladder or step stool.....
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvgolf View Post
When on the road, at the end of the day or first thing the next morning, how do you clean your windshield?As I sit here looking out at this huge bug catcher, I realize I need a step stool and a long handled squeegee or some other combination of tools. It sounds like a lot of trouble at the end of the day or first thing in the morning before heading out.
I have no problem with anything sticking to my MH. I washed the unit spotless, applied 2 applications of REJEX. Nothing sticks, a water hose takes all the bugs off. They claim that duct tape will not stick to your surface. I tried it and they are right. Try it,REJEX. I have a 32 ft Tiffin Open Road . It took 2 -16 oz bottles to double coat my unit roof and all.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield