Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CO DMV and split year coach

Since we have stopped full timing and settled in CO, we got our new drivers licenses a couple of days ago and yesterday I went to the DMV office to get the titles for the motor home and Honda switched from SD to CO. CO requires a VIN inspection which can be performed by a law enforcement officer (one choice of several).
The officer had done his job but had not filled in the "Coach" number on the form. I had thought that it might be required but didn't notice it was missing.
Normally that would not be a problem but my 2004 motor home is built on a 2003 chassis - which is common. To compound the issue SD had titled it as a 2003 and I had not noticed that before.
I printed the RIAA document that explains the split model year issue and how it is to be handled and took it with me.
See HERE

The clerk was going to title it per the VIN date so I showed her the RIAA document. She read it and said she had to get her supervisor. The supervisor had apparently looked at the info but explained that they had to use the VIN. We had a very civil discussion but she stuck by her guns. I said that I understood they had to obey their guide lines and to go ahead and do the paperwork as a 2003, but that I was going to get in touch with the DMV state office in Denver and ask them to send the correct procedure out to the satellite offices and then come back for a title correction.

The supervisor left but came back in a few minutes and apologized profusely. She had gone on line and found the proper procedure to be used and said that I was right and it should be treated as a 2004.
She had the clerk do the paperwork as a 2004 and give me the plates but asked that I have the officer reinspect the coach and add the coach number (the Winnebago ID number on the placard beside the drivers seat) to the form and return it.

I did that and we are now officially CO residents - signed sealed and delivered.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! It is amazing what we all go through in registering vehicles. I think there is a miscommunications between satellite offices in all states.

Glad you stuck to your guns and they figured it out.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

We bought our previous coach used from a dealer, it was a couple of months old. It had been titled in Indiana as a 1998, the body builders date of manufacture. But the chassis had a 1999 VIN. In Florida, they use the VIN as the date on the title,not the body builders date. So, while the coach was built,advertised and titled as a 1998, when I re-titled it in FL, it became a 1999
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Clay L- The link in your post did not work. (for me??) Try this one:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Motorhomes.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry, the my link does no better. May work as an attachment:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Split Model Years for Motorhomes.pdf (35.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Clay L- The link in your post did not work. (for me??) Try this one:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Motorhomes.pdf
You may have a browser issue or something. My link and yours both worked for me just now.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Dang!!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

Some offices seem 'stuck on stupid'. I have Progressive insurance on my Kawasaki KLR650 motorcycle, since I bought it new in 2005. According to "Flo" I have a "KL650", which does not exist. I contacted them for a correction, but even my providing the data plate info and the VIN and model from the registration, they will NOT change it! They insist there is NO KLR650 for 2005 with that VIN, nevermind what Kawasaki and the Florida DMV say. Sometimes you just have to give the old mule it's head, it's more stubborn than I am. ;-)
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote