Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Coach Batteries

We have a Class A Diesel Pusher. My four coach batteries need to be replaced. We don't boondock, usually use the generator or campsite power. Do we need to replace all four or would one ore two batteries work for us? I know I can't replace just one or two. Can I get by with only one battery or two batteries instead of four?
bobhauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Batteries kind of feed off each other, the weakest will draw down the strongest trying to equalize. Batteries should be replaced as a set as in all 4.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Yes, you need all four batteries. The manufacturer would not have spent the money for two batteries if they weren't really needed!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Do you run your reefer before/during your travels before hooked to shore power? With a residential type, you need them to run the inverter to keep it cold.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't try to save money by going cheap on the batteries. You don't give any coach info, but if you have slide(s), one or two batteries could be an issue with deploying them when not connected to shore power. If you ever have your chassis batteries go bad and need to use your bypass to jump them, one or two discharged batteries may not overcome the dead batteries. Lastly, your generator starts off of the house batteries.

A lot of Interstate dealers sell refurbished batteries. Basically, they keep the good ones that are returned and rework them. If you buy for refurbished, you could save money and they should last several years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but i have to disagree with MSHappy. You can use as many or as few batteries as your power demands require. However, even though you don't boondock, you probably do travel x hours on the highway and maybe make lunch or rest stops, perhaps relying on battery power.

Odds are you can do quite nicely with a 2 or 3 12v batteries, or one pair of 6v in series. 12v batteries come in a variety of sizes (amp hours), but a total of 200-250 AH of capacity is probably fine for your needs. That would be a pair of Group 27 or 29/31 size. A pair of 6v GC2 size would be 210-230 AH.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum!
We're sorry that it took a problem for you to join us and we hope that you will stay engaged with us after you have a resolution.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

Gary beat me to the punch. Given your scenario I would put in two batteries and do your usual trip. If you have a problem add two more. The two added batteries will be close enough to the age of the first two that it won't matter. Wait two years to add the second pair and things change.

Just in case you use more power than you think you do...If you run down your house batteries start the main engine and let it charge your house for 10 minutes or so. You should bulk up the house enough at that point to use the switch that combines the two banks to start your generator and let it charge up the house. If that screws up you can still drive away on the main engine and get somewhere where you can charge up or do whatever. The main issue is not to get caught with two sets of low batteries and no engine running. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
ILastly, your generator starts off of the house batteries.
Not to be argumentative, but this is not always the case. My DP has a single 12V battery located in the front near the generator. It is used only to start the generator.

There are also two chassis batteries, and four coach batteries in the battery compartment near the rear of the coach.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have friends that had four 6v batteries and when it was time to change them, went to two 12v batteries. Works fine for them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

I wouldn't hesitate to buy two 6v replacement batteries at the store of my choice (Costco or Sams Club often has a good price) and see if just two will do what you need. Be sure to understand the series/parallel arrangement the batteries are in when you delete two so you could add them again if you find you need to. Pictures are good, printed pictures with words written underneath to explain exactly how it's wired now is even better. If you're like most of us, what makes sense and is easy to remember today, is ancient history next year.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries