Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It’s so sad to see stories like this. I’m glad they are safe. Let’s hope their insurance company does right by them.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #16

It is so sad when this happens, which seems to be far too often

Ike
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
The owners grabbed their money, dog, and got out. People here went and got them food and clothes and chipped in to do what ever they could do for them. They are staying in a cabin tonight in the Resort. Their insurance company sent a big wecker in to check it out, but more equipment is needed. Dump trucks and a big Bobcat and a semi flatbed will be back in first thing in the morning to clean it up. I am not sure who they had for insurance but they are acting really fast on it. They bought it brand new on '06 and just had it repainted last year. The wrecker was impressive to say the least! Had a crane boom on it! and one big "Stinger" on the back.......
The drivers side and slide was all that was left. Owner said he had some electrical problems while traveling, I assume while running the generator and the problem was in the transfer switch I think as that is where the fire started. But most likely he did not know how to troubleshoot it? Thank God this did not happen in the middle of the night!
Taking with the owner of Cajun Palms today, he said this was the first time in 11 years he has been open that a RV caught on fire here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04310.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	228745   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04312.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	228746  

Name:	DSC04315.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	228747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04308.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	228748  

Name:	DSC04309.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	228749  
Old 12-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #18

Thanks for the pics and the ongoing follow up.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
After yesterday's event here, I was thinking last night...........everyone in the Resort was thinking all day yesterday.........and coming up with different plans.......in case........especially the fella that was next to the fire.......it took him forever to get his Coach out of there and people were unhooking him while others were at his door, his wife was in the shower wondering why she lost her water! and it still took him a really long time to get it out of there.
So, thinking, transfer switches have created different problems over the years in reading on here, and this poor guys switch caused him to loose his Coach. By the time the smoke detectors inside went off, the fire was well under way.......
So today, one more smoke detector is getting installed on the ceiling of my electrical bay as I think if it goes off, one might stand a better chance it stopping it or at least a faster notification of smoke and a potential fire. They are inexpensive and could be a big help in that bay I think........
What are your thoughts on this idea...........
Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
After yesterday's event here, I was thinking last night...........everyone in the Resort was thinking all day yesterday.........and coming up with different plans.......in case........especially the fella that was next to the fire.......it took him forever to get his Coach out of there and people were unhooking him while others were at his door, his wife was in the shower wondering why she lost her water! and it still took him a really long time to get it out of there.
So, thinking, transfer switches have created different problems over the years in reading on here, and this poor guys switch caused him to loose his Coach. By the time the smoke detectors inside went off, the fire was well under way.......
So today, one more smoke detector is getting installed on the ceiling of my electrical bay as I think if it goes off, one might stand a better chance it stopping it or at least a faster notification of smoke and a potential fire. They are inexpensive and could be a big help in that bay I think........
That's a good idea for sure, I think I'll steal it. I wonder how easy, or should I say how hard, it would be to retrofit a wired and linked smoke detector system in our older coaches. Mine are battery operated stand alone units. In my house, if one goes off, they all go off.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
After reading this whole thread, I am thinking a smoke detector inside the electrical bay is a good idea and one that will be well worth it.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
That's a good idea for sure, I think I'll steal it. I wonder how easy, or should I say how hard, it would be to retrofit a wired and linked smoke detector system in our older coaches. Mine are battery operated stand alone units. In my house, if one goes off, they all go off.
Being in the electrical bay, it should be rather easy to run 120v to one in there............I am just going with the battery operated model as they chirp when low battery happens......and I keep a close eye on the battery model's inside.New one's last year installed.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #23

I’m putting one in mine today.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I just took a screwdriver to my connections. They were all tight, but never hurts to check.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #25
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I just took a screwdriver to my connections. They were all tight, but never hurts to check.

My understanding is that it is not a good practice to just periodically tighten the screws. The theory is that conductor materials oxidize and that forms a current resistant surface on the outside of the wire. When the connection is tightened, the existing clean contact area is broken and new contact is made on the oxidized surface. The result is a connection with more resistance that generates heat. The proper approach is supposed to be to clean the oxidation off the conductor before making a firm positive connection. Suspect solid and stranded conductors have different characteristics with respect to this issue.

Contact an electrician or power engineer to provide the proper procedure.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #26

Just a few comments from someone who lost their beloved diesel pusher to a fire. It took 13 minutes for the fire department to arrive after I noticed smoke as we were packing to leave on a trip.

Now is the time for everyone to take pictures of every room with every drawer open to show contents, every compartment, open all boxes, pictures of the outside etc etc etc. Store the pictures online or even at the insurance agents office. Reason?

When I was settling with the insurance company, the coach value was easy to settle. But the contents were a year long process. We had "replacement coverage" on contents and that meant each and every item must be itemized, and priced. I used Amazon.com for replacement cost. Insurance sent me money based on a depreciated amount. Then as I bought items, I sent them the invoices and they paid me the difference.

Question? Without looking, How many rolls of toilet paper do you have in the coach? Can you name every item of food in the refrigerator? Clothing, can you describe each pair of socks? How old are they?

Pictures will help jog your memory, and if there is a question, can provide proof. You will be shocked at how much contents will add up! Don't just settle for a lump sum amount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BigD Fire (28) 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	228799  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I installed 3 smoke alarms, 2 years ago. One is in battery bay, see the arrow-pointed on the attached photo. Another is in engine compartment, and the 3rd is on the wall of the galley near kitchen. They are interlinked by a fixed WIFI. Anyone is set off, all are set off, very loud.

It's made by First Alert, battery powered. I think it's a good insurance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery bay.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	228816  
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #28

We installed several in our rentals a couple of years ago and ended up with one extra. It sat on the kitchen table, until I decided to put it in our electrical bay, which is under our bed.