Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #1

Coach Insurance Choice

Who would you choose for coach insurance Progressive or Good Sams or other and why ?
We pick up our first coach next Monday so I need to close the deal..

Thanks
Pete
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

I went with the company we have our house and cars insured through. They bundled the policies and applied savings for good driver, accident free, location etc. etc. I have always been most pleased with the response to the few claims we have had over the last 50 years or so. Company? State Farm
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I have used st. farm for all my Ins. needs for the last 45 yrs. they would not insure my new mh. They said they don't ins. Mh's in my part of the country. So I started shopping for ins. I found progressive to have the best rate for me!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I got a reasonable quote from progressive . My State farm agent was uncertain as to full replacement value etc.
I may try Good Sams for a quote today.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwade View Post
I have used st. farm for all my Ins. needs for the last 45 yrs. they would not insure my new mh. They said they don't ins. Mh's in my part of the country. So I started shopping for ins. I found progressive to have the best rate for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Thanks guys, I got a reasonable quote from progressive . My State farm agent was uncertain as to full replacement value etc.
Its hard when someone ask about insurance because every part of the country, and every company is so different. When trying to compare prices with other owners around the country it gets even more complicated and is about useless.

Pete when you say "full replacement" do you mean for the coach, or contents? Some companies do offer a "full replacement" on coaches which actually is a stated value policy. You state what you want the policy for, and if they agree than that is the amount you get. They are more expensive than the standard replacement value policies which are based on the actual value of the coach at the time of the loss.

Full replacement of contents is another matter. My home and coach have full replacement value for the contents based on actual selling price of the item at the time of the replacement, and not a depreciated based on time value. But don't be fooled by thinking you have $20,000 on contents that is what you get! When we loss our last coach to a fire, we had to record/list every single item that was lost right down to toilet paper, pencils, photos, pass ports, tools, hair spray etc. etc. etc. Our total for our contents loss was $22, 569.35. So make sure you are protected for something close to that.

Shop around, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples as far as coverages go.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have agreed value through AARP and The Hartford on the MH. Moved my home policy from Pemco that I've had since 1968 also. By going with The Hartford on the house, two cars and the MH I saved a couple thousand $ per year on it all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Another one to try National General

They were better than Progressive.
Larryg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #8

thanks al great feedback
Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sams is a broker for numerous Co. As a retired Ins. Agent, I have found dealing directly with the Co. meets my needs better than dealing with a broker.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Neither one of those for me - both quoted premiums almost 2x some of the other reputable insurers.

You need to determine what coverage you want and then get quotes from several insurers - you will likely be amazed at how much rates vary. And the insurer that gives a great rate to one person may be sky-high for another, simply because there are substantial personal factors that enter into rate calculations.

We've used National Interstate, Allied, and Hartford for our Rvs, all with reasonable premiums for the coverage we preferred. We shop for rate comparisons every 3-4 years as well,
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #11

Coach Insurance Choice

You are in PA!
I have been with Erie insurance since 1987.
I have requested competitive quotes from tons of others about every 4 years, on strictly a coverage to coverage basis. Guess what....they could not compete with Erie. And I have never had any issues with claims, response, repairs, etc, even when out of state. We are fulltime, and now have the highest coverage levels available in all categories. Under $2000/year. Includes toad. Your location will have pricing differences per zip code.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #12

Wow - I am in PA too and have Erie for the house and car. The Erie agent sent me to Progressive for the RV as being better coverage at a lower price. Spin the wheel to get your insurance answers it seems.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Was going to say,, as long as it's a name brand with the coverage you want, go with the best price.

We have Progressive but in the few years we've had it, never had a claim. Still, i feel confident they'll treat us right if we ever do.

Oh, our auto policy with another company came due for renewal just a week or so ago. That policy went up again so i decided to shop. Progressive came in with a premium cost $270 cheaper than what we had.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

Coach Insurance Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_aplenty View Post
Wow - I am in PA too and have Erie for the house and car. The Erie agent sent me to Progressive for the RV as being better coverage at a lower price. Spin the wheel to get your insurance answers it seems.

My last quote test of companies had everyone much higher than Erie for my coverages, including Progessive.
Perhaps being classified as RR1 (rural route class 1) makes a difference? I don't know: third base![emoji6]
Quotes can be cheaper if they quote lower coverage. I always require quotes to my SPECIFIC coverages.
The fine print can sting!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance