Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
I have been using the Flexzilla hose for a couple years and they are great, never kink, easy to wind up...very flexible.

Another vote for Flexzilla hose here. They are food-grade and very easy to coil, much more so than the standard white hose.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Any open water system will only have the volume of the smallest restriction, unless the pressure is increased.
In an RV case it is the hose bib(faucet) opening with the smallest restriction.
you nailed it Ray, it makes no sense to put a 5/8 or 3/4 hose onto a hose bib with a 3/8 hole in it. the hose bib may be threaded onto a 3/4 water line but the valve in the bib will only be about 3/8, unless you have a full port valve or a gate valve .
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #31

Zero G is NOT BPA free if that is an issue for you. Also, they say not to use under constant pressure FWIW.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
I've been using a white coiled 50' hose for years.
Never any problem, plenty of flow, so easy to store
and use. Got mine at West Marine.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #33

Thank you, bucks2.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #34

Ray said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Any open water system will only have the volume of the smallest restriction, unless the pressure is increased.
In an RV case it is the hose bib(faucet) opening with the smallest restriction.
Jay said: "you nailed it Ray, it makes no sense to put a 5/8 or 3/4 hose onto a hose bib with a 3/8 hole in it. the hose bib may be threaded onto a 3/4 water line but the valve in the bib will only be about 3/8, unless you have a full port valve or a gate valve .
Jay D.

Both not true. Prove it to yourself. Put a 5 gallon bucket under a spigot (any of your 3/8" spigots will do) without any hose, etc. Time how long it takes to fill. Then put your 3/8" hose on the same spigot and fill the same bucket and time it. Then put a 3/4" hose on the same spigot and time it. You'll see first hand how wrong your assumptions are.

Or read any of thousands of articles online explaining this exact thing. Here's only one that explains it pretty well. That short distance smaller opening does affect the flow, but not nearly as dramatically as the hose friction loss does.

Garden Hose: What Size Garden Hose is Right For Your Needs?
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Ray said:

Jay said: "you nailed it Ray, it makes no sense to put a 5/8 or 3/4 hose onto a hose bib with a 3/8 hole in it. the hose bib may be threaded onto a 3/4 water line but the valve in the bib will only be about 3/8, unless you have a full port valve or a gate valve .
Jay D.

Both not true. Prove it to yourself. Put a 5 gallon bucket under a spigot (any of your 3/8" spigots will do) without any hose, etc. Time how long it takes to fill. Then put your 3/8" hose on the same spigot and fill the same bucket and time it. Then put a 3/4" hose on the same spigot and time it. You'll see first hand how wrong your assumptions are.

Or read any of thousands of articles online explaining this exact thing. Here's only one that explains it pretty well. That short distance smaller opening does affect the flow, but not nearly as dramatically as the hose friction loss does.

Garden Hose: What Size Garden Hose is Right For Your Needs?
in the link above they don't consider the dia. of the valve that's feeding the hoses. sure a 3/4 hose will flow more than a 1/2 hose but not when its being fed from a 3/8 valve. only so much can pass through that 3/8 opening.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
in the link above they don't consider the dia. of the valve that's feeding the hoses. sure a 3/4 hose will flow more than a 1/2 hose but not when its being fed from a 3/8 valve. only so much can pass through that 3/8 opening.
Jay D.
That's true, only so much can pass thru there. BUT, that's not the limiting factor for our uses. The friction loss in the small diameter hose is. You really need to do some reading on friction loss in hoses and fluid dynamics. I'm done here. Those who will not learn, cannot be helped.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #37

I use a 25' 5/8" white hose. I have never needed a longer hose and more often than not I have to curl a few feet of hose up and slide it under my coach out of harm's way.
I don't make a science project out of rolling up the hose or storing it. I drain the hose, roll it up by hand and screw the ends together to keep drips out of my storage compartment, wipe the hose off and toss the hose into my compartment.
I carry a second hose "just in case" but haven't needed it in the seven years I have used my white hose.
Lynn
Old 11-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What about the 2 gpm flow restrictors on the RVs faucets? They don't care about the outside hose.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
What about the 2 gpm flow restrictors on the RVs faucets? They don't care about the outside hose.
You have a 2 gpm flow restrictor on your tank fill? You have the patience of Job! Does your clothes washer also have the same restrictor? How well does that work? You see there are times and reasons to flow more water. Since many (most?) of us are not boondocking during the majority of our time, saving the last drop of water is not on the top of our list. As always though, it's your RV do as you wish.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
You have a 2 gpm flow restrictor on your tank fill? You have the patience of Job! Does your clothes washer also have the same restrictor? How well does that work? You see there are times and reasons to flow more water. Since many (most?) of us are not boondocking during the majority of our time, saving the last drop of water is not on the top of our list. As always though, it's your RV do as you wish.
We must be on different threads. I didn't say a thing about the FWT. I think I said faucets.

The OP asked about hoses for water supply.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #41

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will probably go with a 1/2" Flexzilla or Zero G. I only have the kitchen and bath that use water so the 1/2" will be adequate.

I have never gotten along with the white hoses. They are too stiff and it seems like one of the loops always wants to go off in its own direction when I coil them up.

I do carry a section of garden hose for non potable uses as well.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #42

I actually have a coiled hose and it works fine! My wash machine works fine with the hose as well.
I'm not concerned with maximum volume. I simply want adequate volume.
My 3/8 coiled hose work fine.
The real plus of the coiled hose is you don't need to roll it up! Ever.
I just pick it up and toss it into the storage bay, no fuss no muss,
no: rolling, bins, baskets, tubs or wraps required.
Raise it up so all the water drains out and toss it in.
If your anal enough you can screw the ends together to keep critters out.
I seldom screw ends together, but I do let the water flow through the hose for a few seconds to rinse it out before connecting to RV.
Despite all the naysayers a coiled hose is a very viable, easy and simple way to supply water to your RV
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, water