Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cold Tire Pressures when it is really cold - 10 Deg F

I have never left from NC to go to Florida when it has been this cold -forecast tomorrow AM is 10 deg F.

I always check my cold pressures before venturing on the Intersate and run my fronts @ 75psi and the rear duals @ 80psi - it is a Tioga Montara on an E450 chassis.

The vehicle has been sitting in the storage yard since summer and now it is in my driveway ready to head out after checking the tire pressures. I will probably have to add some pressure so does the 10 deg F outside affect this?
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nope, your cold tire pressure remains the same.
DON'T drive on underinflated tires.
If you have an overnight stop, check the pressure again in the morning before you leave and let some air out if you need to - my guess is that you won't need to.
It's not THAT warm here in Florida, at least not enough to cause a problem with your tire pressure.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Sub-freezing temps for the past couple of nights here in Palm Coast, FL.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cold outside temps will definitely decrease the pressure in your tires. It doesn't exactly behave according to the ideal gas law because of moisture content in the air in the tires but it does decease significantly. The good news is that after only a few miles at highway speeds (maybe two or three) the pressure will come up.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

Actually cold temperatures can have a dramatic effect on tire pressures. I have seen TPMS alarms go off on tires that were on the money at 60 degrees, but too low at 0 degrees. Inflate to within 5 lbs of the recommended pressure if very cold, but heading toward warmer weather. If heading from warm to cold, then check pressures regularly, but be aware that driving heats the tires. It is best to check each morning prior to hitting the road.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There may be some confusion about this question:

Quote:
The vehicle has been sitting in the storage yard since summer and now it is in my driveway ready to head out after checking the tire pressures. I will probably have to add some pressure so does the 10 deg F outside affect this?
The 10 F greatly affects the pressure currently inside the tire - the loss (or gain) of pressure is approximately 2% for every 10 degrees difference from when it was originally set. What does NOT change is the desired psi - the 75 (front) and 80 psi (rear) in seb1899's case. Regardless of the outside temperature, set the psi to the target "cold" pressure before driving. "Cold" means the tires have not been heated up by driving on them and that number is never adjusted for the outdoor (ambient) temperature.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure