Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

Cold Weather - Have I Screwed Up?

We are headed to a campground near High Rolls NM today for 5 nights. I'm looking at the weather and the forecast is nice in the day but for very low 30s or even possibly high 20s overnight.

How cold is too cold before we need to worry about our 5th wheel camper? I'm not worried about us, but I am worried about our plumbing. It seems to me that we should be able to survive an overnight close to freezing, but I'm from Florida so what do I know?

Advice? Thanks in advance!
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #2

We have stayed in the mountains where it would get into the 20's F overnight and had no problems.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #3

It's been my experience if daytime highs reach 50° and nighttime lows do not fall below 27° residual heat from sunlight will prevent an unheated RV from frozen plumbing.
Assuming you leave heat running while absent from your RV, simply by opening doors and drawers to expose any plumbing to daytime heat will prevent frozen plumbing.
If your holding tanks are exposed I would empty them during the day, fill fresh tank and store supply hose. Close grey and black tank valves until draining is required.
Don't worry enjoy NM.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

Depending on the type and ratings of your RV such as 4 season rated or not? My experience is most likely you will wake up with frozen water but will thaw out shortly after the sun comes out. Your issues will depend a lot on how your RV is designed and insulated. If yours is more conventional then you can probably expect early morning short term freeze ups. You may get lucky and not have any problems at all and hope that is how it goes for you.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
We are headed to a campground near High Rolls NM today for 5 nights. I'm looking at the weather and the forecast is nice in the day but for very low 30s or even possibly high 20s overnight.

How cold is too cold before we need to worry about our 5th wheel camper? I'm not worried about us, but I am worried about our plumbing. It seems to me that we should be able to survive an overnight close to freezing, but I'm from Florida so what do I know?

1st advice. If you have city water hose disconnect it at night. Same with your stinky slinky. Make sure both are drained.

Since you will be in it, with heat on, the rule of thumb I always is use is 24 for 24. 24 degrees for less than 24 hours you should be ok. Only time I had a problem with this was in my gas class A. It had been around 30 degrees during travel, I spent the night in a state park at 26 degrees, in the morning no problems. 2 hours down the road stopped to use the toilet and was froze from pump. Turned the furnace on, started down the road. One hour later stopped again. It groaned a little and trickled, but 15 seconds cleared.

You will not freeze your fresh tanks and if you are worried about your pump put a 40 what lightbulb an the closed compartment.

Since you won't be moving you'll be ok.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
... very low 30s or even possibly high 20s overnight.

I don't know about your rig. There are lots of different configurations. Most are not winter hardy. Others are.

A full water tank will not freeze over night in upper 20's. It takes a while. An empty or nearly empty tank can usually freeze without damage. There is almost always something left in them when drained.

Pipes under the floor and outside faucets can freeze quickly in many RV's. Valves and fittings are at risk. Pipes, fittings, faucets, pumps, and valves are all at risk. Some RV's have heating systems to prevent freezing. They may require furnace running to prevent freezing.

These are precautions that may or may not prevent damage:
Turn pumps "off".
Disconnect shore lines and drain hoses.
Drain everything using low point drains.
Leave all faucets "open".
Run pump dry briefly.
Remove and drain all water filters. Store filters in heated area.
Put a shore powered electric heater or incandescent light in the wet bay.

These methods will prevent freeze damage:
Use "blow-out" method to winterize.
Use pink RV antifreeze to winterize. It must be specifically for potable water systems.

Plumbing inside the cabin is less at risk if cabin is heated. Pipes, valves, pumps, and filters in closed spaces will get the coldest. Open cabinet door and drawers a little to let heat into those spaces.

Some RV's are winter hardy. Others advertise winter hardy, but are not. Your guess is as good as anyone's. Check RV user manual for warning about winterizing in freezing weather. Warranty usually does not cover freeze damage.

My TT was advertised as "All Season" and "Heated and Enclosed Underbelly". Pipes under the floor froze in 4 hours at 29 degrees F. The pipes and fittings did not break.

One line in manual warned to winterize in freezing weather and did not say anything about whether furnace was running or not. A cracked water pump was deemed not covered by warranty. Everything else survived.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You don't have anything to worry about. 40s during the day and high-20s overnight is not a problem. Keep the heat set at 50+ and you'll be fine. I doubt you even need to disconnect the fresh water hose, to be honest.

If I winterized my MH every time we had weather like that, I'd only be able to use the toilet in July.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #8

Last year we had temperatures in the upper 20's at night a few times and never had a problem. It didn't stay below freezing long enough to cause any damage before the heat of the day would be back.
NHBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #9

Have stayed in 17* over night lows with no problem except water hose froze solid. It did not thaw in the sun the next day.
So unhook your hose and drain it.
Normally if you can stay warm inside the rv will be fine.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #10

As others have said... you'll be just fine as long as it's not a prolonged freeze. If it warms above freezing during the day you'll be fine.

Fill your water tank and run off it. Don't use a hose. Same for the dump hose. Keep it stored until you need to use it. They can easily crack if left out.

You'll be fine! Have fun playin' in the snow!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
IC2

I assume that you will have the furnace on and many 5ers will have a duct feeding the belly plus that heat will keep the inside piping open. I have been 'caught' here in the Northeast by overnight 20s several times before winterizing with no problem. I would disconnect and drain the CG water though and drain the hose, but even that for a couple hours would not be a problem.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
1st advice. If you have city water hose disconnect it at night. Same with your stinky slinky. Make sure both are drained.
I just learned that after being at Bryce Canyon last week.

I also left the outside kitchen slide out and the hoses and faucets froze!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #13

Thanks everyone. Now that we're here the weather bug on my phone is telling me it's not going to be as cold as I feared. Still, it's great to have more knowledge about the subject.

There is a vent in the bedroom duct to the basement. We don't usually run the furnace at night, preferring instead to pile on the blankets, but I'll keep that in mind if it's going to be truly freezing. Our 5er is definitely not built as a 4 season camper.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
There is a vent in the bedroom duct to the basement. We don't usually run the furnace at night, preferring instead to pile on the blankets, but I'll keep that in mind if it's going to be truly freezing. Our 5er is definitely not built as a 4 season camper.
With a heat supply for the basement area, I would say that your trailer is at least partially designed for 4 seasons. Keep in mind that most of the things which make an RV good in hot weather also keep it better in cold weather. Plumbing is of concern only in the cold, but most RV manufacturers who add insulation and supply heat to the basement will also then have the plumbing where it will withstand at least moderately cold weather.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, scr