Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Question Comfortable fold out sofa?

I know...Sounds like an oxymoron right?
Well it will soon be a necessity for my next RVing trip cross country with the fiver. Taking a 125# adult who will need to sleep in our OEM fold out love seat. Queen size bed with 2" thick folding mattress.

Need help coming up with a solution to this problem, that will mostly be easy and fast to put back into storage every morning.
I also have 2 recliners. But would be willing to replace the loveseat for a better option in that space?
Any and all advice and experiences welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

If you need a replacement for your current furniture, see RecPro.com.

My OEM wallhugger recliners supplied by Lippert have the "leather" peeling off despite having very little usage. Due to weight limitations and getting furniture through a tight door and hallway, RV furniture is required on our fifth wheeler.

Good luck on your long trip.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #3

The My Pillow company has a mattress pad Queen RV size that we put on ours and is very comfortable. You may want to check that out before you replace the sofa. We love ours
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our foldout couch has an air mattress that is relatively comfortable in comparison to a mattress.

We've slept on it a couple times when we've had friends along plus our grandkids say it is pretty good too.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

........Sounds like an oxymoron????????
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #6

The fold out sofa in my 2003 had a fabric stretched across the frame with springs all around. After a few years the fabric stretched out and was against the cross bars, making it very uncomfortable with a heavier person.

My solution was to cut 3/8" plywood to fit in the sections (4 of them) of the fold out couch and bolted them to the frame with 1/4" carriage bolts, making for a smooth surface on which to put the 2" mattress. I have slept on it and is quite comfortable.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
An air mattress will solve the problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
An air mattress will solve the problem!
Agree, Serta 'never flat' for two years now. Very comfortable!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird1965 View Post
Agree, Serta 'never flat' for two years now. Very comfortable!
+3

Modern air mattress are comfortable and have integrated pumps. A super nice feature so no more messing around trying to find the pump and hose and fittings.

Also if you find the mattress too soft in the night you can just reach over and push the switch to put more air in it.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #10

Question 1st choice so far.....

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. Keep'em coming.

In my research I have come across the AirDream air-over-springs fold-out-bed mattress. 5.5" deflated. 11" inflated. I have read a lot of good reviews and a few very bad ones. Still on the fence, but leaning this way for now.
Anyone have experience with this system?
https://www.airdream.net