Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Do yourself a favor and look at getting a small class A. I think for what you want to do, it will work out better.

Small Class A, not sure how small they come so I'll go take a look. I always thought the Class C would be the best for me should I sell my truck for extra cash (not much as I mentioned before), but at least only one rig to take care of
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I admire your courage to dream--there is a lot to experience out on the open road. However, Rving is not an inexpensive life-style, save for those folks parked along the road-side. The size of your truck severely limits what you can pull, and more importantly, what you can control and stop. Proper insurance is not cheap, and you should also note that your gas mileage will 1/3 to 1/2 less when pulling. Finally, as mentioned, a self-contained RV is subject to break downs [think of having both a house and a car in one]. Plus, now the self-contained RV is your primary means of transportation too.
I encourage you to follow your dreams but keep your feet firmly on the ground--best of luck to you!

By the way, if I can't get this together the way I want, I won't be leaving my apartment as I'm not going out there unless I'm actually able to be comfortable and reasonably secure. Certainly not parked on the side of the road.

My heart goes out to honest people that are having to do that for one reason or another Let's hope we are never that unfortunate. With the world the way it is, things can change in a New York minute, so I never say never.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #17
PKI

Truck camp

Since you have a truck, research truck camping..... a bed, an ice chest, some plastic boxes for gear, and a cap/topper for the truck.

Start simple and learn. Full time? Maybe weekend warrior for a year first.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Since you have a truck, research truck camping..... a bed, an ice chest, some plastic boxes for gear, and a cap/topper for the truck.

Start simple and learn. Full time? Maybe weekend warrior for a year first.

I'm 69, in good shape for my age, but I found out last Summer roughing it out of the back of a Mazda B3000, or a tent, were too much for me. That's only a part of what I learned since starting this quest to live in a smaller space and travel a little instead of living in a box hemmed in my people.

But thanks you for the suggestion I had basically, only had to try once.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:57 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you look for older model Class B's, you'd be able to park them in your driveway & they're so maneuverable anywhere. Here's some examples
https://www.truckandrv.com/--invento...gory=class%20b

My little Class C might be bigger than you want, but I can park in my driveway. I may have considered a B but I did NOT want a wet bath.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you look for older model Class B's, you'd be able to park them in your driveway & they're so maneuverable anywhere. Here's some examples
https://www.truckandrv.com/--invento...gory=class%20b

My little Class C might be bigger than you want, but I can park in my driveway. I may have considered a B but I did NOT want a wet bath.
Thank you so much, I had no idea this type was a Class B!! I have neighbors in the apartments that have these, or similar!

I just got help today from a guy that works at our local Senior Center. He has a buddy that travels over to Grants Pass OR and Medford OR, and brings home used RVs, especially Van-types my friend at Senior Center said. He is going to be in touch with his buddy and ask him to keep his eyes open for me

I figure that is something I really need is someone that lives around here that knows how to find and buy something like I need. Also, I have the best of mechanics in our town to take something to him to check out for me if it really comes together
Old 07-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Small Class A, not sure how small they come so I'll go take a look. I always thought the Class C would be the best for me should I sell my truck for extra cash (not much as I mentioned before), but at least only one rig to take care of
When I was looking I saw a number of sub 40' class A rigs. 32' was about the shortest but not that many of them, where 35-38 was more plentiful. Seems like Safari and Monaco made a number of shorter class A rigs that weren't entry level camper types. I gotta say it's nice to have a real shower, and a real sized toilet, and a rig with generous sized tanks. Big tanks (of all types) are nice because it really cuts down on the amount of time dumping, filling, etc. Also nice to have a kitchen with some room.

I have a 40' with no slides. Made that choice because I'm still working, and when I travel, I'm traveling more than sitting. Didn't want to deal with the slides, and went for the 40 to help make up for the loss of space sans slides. A 38 or 36 would have been fine too, I just ended up with a good deal on the 40'.
A shorter rig with slides may work well for you. All I can say is don't fear the length. Longer rigs seem to go down the road better, and better in the wind, and when being passed by trucks. And when your camped, it's nice to have some room.
Getting thru a crowded Sams Club lot on a busy Saturday to get to the pumps can be challenging, as are tight and narrow dirt roads in dispersed camping areas. I'm avoiding those narrow roads, but that still leaves plenty of places to go.

The diesel class A has a couple of advantages, even though fuel is more. Diesels can haul a lot more weight, and the 'house' portion of the RV is built much sturdier, and will generally have nice amenities. They can tow a lot more too, and the brakes are generally better, plus most will have some type of engine brake, which is handy in the mountains. The 'basement' pass thru underbelly storage is really nice, compared to the tiny side compartments of the gassers.
It's also nice to have the engine in the back, and the gen up front for noise and maint considerations.

LOL, there's no perfect coach. If it's big and spacious, it will be a PIA for dispersed camping, but fantastic in a park. If it's tiny and easy to get around in at rough camp sites, it will feel crowded if you live in it for any length of time.

Be sure to keep us updated on what you end up doing, good luck.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #22

I admire your desire to "Hit the Road" in an RV, but you haven't mentioned how much cash you have for purchasing a unit and the amount of income you have available for living, repairs, etc. It's hard to offer suggestions without knowing what is available. The last thing you want to do at your age is to incur a sizable debt on a depreciating asset that will possibly require more expense (license, insurance, campground fees, fuel, maintenance, payments, and the unexpected expense) than your current rent. I don't mean to rain on your dream, but sometimes the real world can be uncertain and the RV life can be expensive. I hope you find and can afford what you want and I wish you the best.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #23

Denise,

Check out this group-https://www.rvingwomen.org/?
Many questions are answered.

Luck-
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #24

You sound a bit "if'y about going on the road ... full-time or otherwise. I'm 75. She's 69. You have to decide to go for it...or not. But one thing is for sure. You're not getting any younger.

So, assuming you decide to do it, which I would recommend, the first issue might be your truck. My quick research indicates it will only have a 2400-2500 lb. towing capacity. It appears you probably only have a 3.0 V-6. That's not going to cut it.

On the other hand, it appears that your manual transmission B3000 can be flat towed with a tow bar and baseplates, etc. OR towed on a dolly. In either case, it could make an excellent "toad".

As has been mentioned, a used Class C motorhome should be what you go looking for. Probably with a V-8. You have not mentioned the amount you have to spend or finance. But a clean, well running Class C can be found with a floor plan to your liking. My suggestion would be something in the 26&28 foot range.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadgypsy View Post

Check out this group-https://www.rvingwomen.org/?
Many questions are answered.
The above and also:

Escapees Solos
Loners on Wheels
WINs: Wandering Individuals Network
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #26

I pretty much read the whole thread.

Sounds to me that you need 1 vehicle.. The right vehicle. With any Class A or C motorhome you will likely want a toad. With a travel trailer you might need a bigger truck. At any rate you will have 2 vehicles. 2 to register, 2 to insure, 2 to maintain. I'm guessing it will be used, maybe an older model.

If you give up the apt that should help the economics. Maybe get a mini warehouse for a reasonable amount to store your other stuff.

Take off for a trial year. You can still come back and get an apt if it doesn't work out so well.

Class B might be ideal. You can still use it as a daily driver and park pretty much anywhere.

I see a lot of people on YouTube starting out with a Van and making it into exactly what they need and want.

Not sure about bathroom. That may be a challenge. Composting toilet and outside shower maybe.

The most profound revelation I've ever had:. You cannot stop the clock.

Godspeed, my friend.

Heather
heatherdawnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:29 PM   #27

https://youtu.be/lRsOAsUETiQ
Old 07-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #28

Budget van conversion Ford Econoline $3000.00 https://youtu.be/lRsOAsUETiQ