Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #1

Coming back to IRV2, a hopeful wanna-be

I haven't spend time here for awhile, but haven't given up on my dream to buy an RV. I am 69 now and still want to go full-time.

I would like to go ahead and ask for some feedback on my "so far" progress and plan to eventually be able to buy probably a ready-to-go Van, or possible a C-type RV. I know this will sound ridiculous to many here, but I am convinced I can do this if I have a rig I can have what I know I need to succeed at living out there.

I do have a backup plan to keep my apartment, and work seasonal jobs I can still handle, probably laundry-room type as I've done in the past. I have many office skills but prefer to do manual jobs where I am moving around rather than sitting. I do plan to work whether I am full-time, or keep my apartment.

For over 6 years I've saved some money, but had to spend much of it for things that came up such as maintenance on my small truck, and honestly, other "stuff" I didn't really need. I'd occasionally get discouraged and spend. but my credit score is 750 now, and that isn't going to get me right into a rig because I am considered low-income.

I'd mostly like to just start visiting here and ask questions of those that are out there, or in my situation. The way I would love to live, especially with gas prices, and other costs, is a regular "set" place to stay in Winter, and back in cooler climate Summer. What a dreamer hey

I live on the far, northern coast of California, and I have a lot to look into to do this. I just really want to be around others that are pretty much of the same mind about being "out there".

I definitely have a gypsy heart and moved around the US my whole life, working wherever I went, easy to find jobs during my life-time, but many didn't pay a lot, and there were breaks in my employment, thus, lower Social Security benefits.

I honestly usually, don't get so windy with my posts, or replies, I promise, Denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #2

If parked for longer periods of time IMO a trailer is better. You will need a big enough truck/vehicle to safely pull it. Work camping helps save cost.
You will still require the income and down payment and show you can afford it. More strict approval then cars typically.
Good luck. HTH
Old 07-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
If parked for longer periods of time IMO a trailer is better. You will need a big enough truck/vehicle to safely pull it. Work camping helps save cost.
You will still require the income and down payment and show you can afford it. More strict approval then cars typically.
Good luck. HTH

I have a great running truck, but small Mazda B3000. I do need something bigger I have learned, done lots of research already, but need to be reminded. I think what I need is truly out of my reach, but, I am praying, and hoping for I guess, a miracle that would provide me with a comfy, ready to go rig, with hopefully good maintenance from previous owners. Definitely used of course

Working is a must for me, I am in good shape for my age, work out at the gym to stay as strong and healthy as possible, but I also understand things happen to throw a wrench into life.

Thank you so much for your reply, and nice to meet you, Denise
PS Open and willing to hear all feedback, and learn
Old 07-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #4

Btw, I can't agree more on a Trailer for long stays. Need a rig to go to the store that's easier on gas etc. Again, my truck is too small and only a V6. Even hauling a tiny trailer (which those don't grow on trees) would be a load for it. I have 174 k on the truck now. They wouldn't give me a decent amount for trade in, and it's full of new parts like tires, clutch, radiater, brakes. Everyone knows I'd get diddly out of it unless I sell it myself first, which I'd do.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Denise! We're sure glad you decided to re-join the gang here!

I agree with Derek that a TT or 5th wheel would be better for the lifestyle you hope for, but there is the problem of the tow vehicle.

Keep dreaming!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #6

Hi @mshappycampers,

Thanks for the welcome I am looking at the light-weight variety, pop ups or open ups. I really hate parting with a truck I know so well as my Mazda, and if I could keep it, and still find something efficient to my needs, and not too hard to open up. I think of security as well, and I have a little dog that can't roast in a too hot climate while I'm working.

You can see I probably do need a miracle to get all my needs met, but I won't give up looking around for a way
Old 07-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
What about an ALiner? Hard sided pop up about 3,000 pounds which your Mazda probably can tow. Not hard to find and under $15,000.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
What about an ALiner? Hard sided pop up about 3,000 pounds which your Mazda probably can tow. Not hard to find and under $15,000.

A V6 can pull that? I don't know, and that's unloaded. I won't need anything in the bed I don't think, I plan on selling or giving away a lot, even from this small one bedroom apt. I live in, if I go full-timing.

I'll take a look and check out the V6 for my truck pulling it

Thanks for the recommend
Old 07-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #9

Oh, something I didn't mention, or think of, is I live at an apartment complex that won't allow me to keep a trailer on the property.

The more I think about it, the more a Van might work. I actually had someone lined up to do a camper on my truck, even with solar panels included for an unbelievable price I could afford out of pocket! The space was just too small, and everything had to be installed. I think it's best for me to buy something and make payments. I have no problem doing that although I need to figure out a good estimate of costs per month.

I'm not counting any extra earnings until I'm actually earning them and "seeing the money" though
Old 07-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #10

Why would you keep your apartment if you're going full-time? That's a big, unnecessary expense. Either you are a full-timer or not. I think you need to make that decision. If you give up the apartment you won't have a storage problem for a trailer. Are you actually going to travel or just stay in one place? Also, if you're not aware, there is a full-timing section on this forum that may be of help.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Oh, something I didn't mention, or think of, is I live at an apartment complex that won't allow me to keep a trailer on the property.

The more I think about it, the more a Van might work. I actually had someone lined up to do a camper on my truck, even with solar panels included for an unbelievable price I could afford out of pocket! The space was just too small, and everything had to be installed. I think it's best for me to buy something and make payments. I have no problem doing that although I need to figure out a good estimate of costs per month.

I'm not counting any extra earnings until I'm actually earning them and "seeing the money" though
You did mention "full time" in your opening post so you wouldn't have to worry about the apartment rules if that worked out. But yes, it's good that you are thinking ahead and not trying to rush into things.

The suggestion about a trailer small enough to pull behind your Mazda could work but I have a feeling you wouldn't be happy with the cramped quarters, especially if full timing is on the agenda.

My opinion would be to take your time because I have a feeling RV prices are going to come down from what they are now. Only thing, I have no idea what prices on the van types (class b) are gonna do. The demand is high on them and many of them seem to command higher prices than the roomier class c's and such.

Something else, your truck may make a good toad since it has the manual transmission. A less pricier class c can probably be set up to tow it easily. You'd have it for work and to run errands after getting the main rig settled in.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
You did mention "full time" in your opening post so you wouldn't have to worry about the apartment rules if that worked out. But yes, it's good that you are thinking ahead and not trying to rush into things.

The suggestion about a trailer small enough to pull behind your Mazda could work but I have a feeling you wouldn't be happy with the cramped quarters, especially if full timing is on the agenda.

My opinion would be to take your time because I have a feeling RV prices are going to come down from what they are now. Only thing, I have no idea what prices on the van types (class b) are gonna do. The demand is high on them and many of them seem to command higher prices than the roomier class c's and such.

Something else, your truck may make a good toad since it has the manual transmission. A less pricier class c can probably be set up to tow it easily. You'd have it for work and to run errands after getting the main rig settled in.

Good luck!

I haven't looked at, or asked folks that might have a similar setup, what there insurance rates are, places to stay or any of the other costs. I have a lot of work to do, and will be looking/exploring lots of threads here on the site to help me get an idea.

Also, the "domicile" is a big deal looks like, and I really need to look into doing that. If I want to shoot for full-timing, all that will be so important. Luckily I have a clean background record, including great rental history, and driving record. Got a few things going for me. I guess the hardest thing is my age.

I don't doubt for a minute it would be hard at this age to truly adapt to a smaller living space. Rented a 5th wheel, lived on a property as a caretaker when I was younger. Loved a small trailer I lived in for a time on a ranch.

Older now, need a good bed, and I am hoping for something with a gas-range as I do all my own cooking. I'm on a ketogenic diet and have had my T2 Diabetes down in the safe range for the 17 months I've been on it.

I don't fool myself thinking any of this will be easy, and I'll take the time I need see what the best I can do will be, then decide to go for it or not
Old 07-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #13

I admire your courage to dream--there is a lot to experience out on the open road. However, Rving is not an inexpensive life-style, save for those folks parked along the road-side. The size of your truck severely limits what you can pull, and more importantly, what you can control and stop. Proper insurance is not cheap, and you should also note that your gas mileage will 1/3 to 1/2 less when pulling. Finally, as mentioned, a self-contained RV is subject to break downs [think of having both a house and a car in one]. Plus, now the self-contained RV is your primary means of transportation too.
I encourage you to follow your dreams but keep your feet firmly on the ground--best of luck to you!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #14

Do yourself a favor and look at getting a small class A. I think for what you want to do, it will work out better.
Get something you can flat tow to pull behind the coach, instead of thinking about a bigger tow vehicle to tow a big trailer, I'd ditch the apartment, which will be a lot easier to do with a class A, even a small one. Especially since you can't park any of this there. It would be different if you had a home where you could store an RV.
Trust me, I started out thinking a tear drop behind an element, then a Toyota Dolphin, various class C's, and in the end, what I have now makes the most sense in terms of ease of use, living space, build quality, ease of maintenance, storage space, etc.
For the most part class C is for the weekend warriors. Most will show their age, and limitations quickly once you full time in them. If you're really going to live in something, it's hard to beat an older high end class A. Most of these were so well built that they'll have plenty of life left in them 20-30 years later. They were built to last, and to be lived in, which is different than camping. Something I can't say about a class C or B.
Also, go read blogs and forums about small 'live on' boats. They have a lot in common with the live in RV world, and it's interesting to see how they do it.