Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #15

If you were ever thinking of selling & taking a break from RVing right now might be a good time to do it.

Get a good price for your used rig. Wait till the boom is over & all those who thought they bought an easy living dream find out the truth, then find yourself a relatively new unit cheap.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #16

Most of the current sales are for travel trailers, especially entry level ones, not the top of the line expensive Class A DP. The people buying are not the ones who normally go on cruse ships or fly to Europe. They have families with small children and although they may not go RVing a lot will continue to go out on weekends and vacations. Yes many will be selling but it won’t be panic sales. Additionally more and more people are retiring and going full time in an RV as indicated by the lack of Campground Host positions in National Parks available on volunteer.gov, or even camp ground spaces available to stay in. The resort I usually go to in ID won’t even rent on a monthly basis anymore, it’s daily, weekly or a 6/12 month lease.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
If you were ever thinking of selling & taking a break from RVing right now might be a good time to do it.

Get a good price for your used rig. Wait till the boom is over & all those who thought they bought an easy living dream find out the truth, then find yourself a relatively new unit cheap.

Ahhhh!!! NOT what I wanted to hear as we have been looking for a long time and have YET to find THE ONE....sigh

We’ve been full time since this year basically and have been looking even before then....tough to find the right one in our price range and all our buttons pushed.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
"The largest portion of the RV market is made up of towable units, according to the RVIA. In 2017, 441,691 towable campers were shipped, a figure that represented 17.6% growth over 2016. Also according to the RVIA, about 12% of RVs on the market are motorized, while 88% are towables."

First time Rvers are buying lower end towables because the cost of the tow vehicle is a major consideration and bumper pulls and fifth wheels require a suitable tow vehicle. A lot of folks buy before considering their ability to tow. In a year or two, the shine will wear off and the owner will be far upside down financially and many will either put those towables in a storage facility or sell at a loss. RVs buying will be sort of like going to a garage sale where all of them have almost unused exercise equipment for sale at next to nothing prices. Don't believe the first timers will be much into high end motor coaches especially pushers so doubt this market will se the type of glut/bounce as low end bumper pulls.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #19

Gas prices!

One reason to believe there glut of used RV's is the coming gas prices. The upcoming political regime has stared very anti big oil plans. If fracking is ended, we will see gas prices rivaling their all time highs. I hope not but the writing is on the wall as they say.
RVLoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
We have worked to put ourselves in the position that we want to be in.

Im retired, my wife still works but starting in 2021 has M-J-J and D off every year.

Our plan was a 60-ish day trip every summer for the next 5 or so years and x-mas in Key West every year.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
A lot of COVID campers are going to be selling in the next 12-18 months, IMHO.

Besides the shortage of campsites, you have insurance, crappy fuel economy, dealing with fuel stops, holiday traffic, learning to tow or drive an RV, unexpected maintenance issues, a dealer network and warranty process that is often useless, and in the snow belt, paying for a bank loan on a toy that you can only use half the year, storage costs... Many of these folks had no idea what they were signing up for.

I agree. Along with your observations, a lot will hold onto the them without using them. They are going to be shocked at depreciation of the units.
They will be hoping to get near what they paid since it was hardly used.

When I traded my 2 year FR Grey Wolf, I took a 40% loss. Didn't like the idea, but with all the problems I had with it, it wasn't worth it for me to keep it. That and fact that FR and the dealer would do nothing to fix any of the problems, while in warranty, they kept making excuses that FR would no cover the problems. And then multiple problems 1 month after the warranty ran out, and again FR would not even consider repairs.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I agree. Along with your observations, a lot will hold onto the them without using them. They are going to be shocked at depreciation of the units.
They will be hoping to get near what they paid since it was hardly used.

When I traded my 2 year FR Grey Wolf, I took a 40% loss. Didn't like the idea, but with all the problems I had with it, it wasn't worth it for me to keep it. That and fact that FR and the dealer would do nothing to fix any of the problems, while in warranty, they kept making excuses that FR would no cover the problems. And then multiple problems 1 month after the warranty ran out, and again FR would not even consider repairs.

Good to know. I can scratch FR off my list.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLoper View Post
One reason to believe there glut of used RV's is the coming gas prices. The upcoming political regime has stared very anti big oil plans. If fracking is ended, we will see gas prices rivaling their all time highs. I hope not but the writing is on the wall as they say.
Fuel cost is just one factor. At 8mpg, we can cover 8000 miles with 1000 gallons. If fuel goes from $2 to $3 it’s only $1000 more for quite a bit of driving.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am undecided as to which way the market will swing. However, there is one point, I didn’t see discussed; that is young families with children. I am just amazed with the number of young people with families who are now full timing. Something you seldom saw just a few years ago. And with the Covid, many, many people and companies are learning to do business remotely. I think lots and lots of people are going to continue this work style. Which in turn will continue to fuel the RV industry.
I guess I am saying, I think the market will stay strong.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #25

There seems to be a lot of people like our neighbors. 30's working from home and never there. Had to have a motorhome but ours was too small and too old not to mention it wasn't for sale. They bought an old bus. 1983 With a gazillion miles. Somewhat fixed up on the inside paid nearly $15,000. Brought it home filled the cupboards and left for the east coast fall color tour. No plumbing heat or AC.

After another $6000 in repairs they made it back and put it for sale in their front yard asking $20,000. Hasn't moved in 6 weeks.

They want a diesel pusher in the spring

Merry Christmas

Crazy campers everywhere.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I think we'll continue to see empty dealers lots and full camp grounds until fall of 2022. About the same time that the warranties start to age out along with roof seals renewal, first round of heavy chassis maintenance and other must do items come due. Plus I think the COVID light will still be flashing in the corner of the eye of a lot of owners thru 2021. A good indicator will be when cruise lines start scheduling events again.

Or it all goes back to normal in about a month.
You know read in industry mags and on all these forums about the lack of RVs on lots ad I have to say I just don’t see that to be true. Driving from NC up 95 RV lots are full of RVs mostly travel trailers, 5th wheels which are suppose to be in short supply. The sales status in monthly percentage shows killer sales. But again I don’t see in the 10 or so RV lots we see ? Just saying.
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #27

Well, to start with Idaho is a different reality from many of you. Our RV lots are full of new and used units and markdowns are as usual. Of course everyone in Idaho that can afford one already had one before Covid.

Campgrounds with reservations were full this year because kids were out of school. But we RV’d as usual with no problems...and we are out at least two weeks every month. We started our big trip in February to Big Bend NP and had no issues for those two months. We did have to put off our planned June AK trip so hung around the northwest. No issues on camping spaces and I never reserve except for NPs. Finished up with two weeks in Death Valley in Dec (which I had reserved but didn’t need to) on Dec 15. Fortunately left day before CA caused them to close NP CGs but no issues in NV.

Fortunately I bought new RV Nov 2019 so am good for a couple more years. We’re headed S end of Feb and I know camping areas no issues because Canada Snowbirds can’t come and kids are back in school in many areas.

Hoping for rescheduled Alaska trip this June but if Canada still closed will hang out in NW for another year.

Happy Camping!
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #28

Looking to buy.

We are looking to buy a used class A to upgrade from out 1989 unit. We will probably buy in the next month or two, as soon as our home refi goes through.
We've been watching the inventory of units we like and if you know where to look, there are good used units to get (we think, might be disappointed once we look at them in person).

We will probably have to travel out of state to get what we want.

--chris g.

P.s if you know of a 2000-2005 class A gas unit for sale, PM me.
fitzjohnfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs