Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Compartment latch stuck - help!

This was not a problem for 19 months, but yesterday when packing up for a 8 hour drive home, the lock for the cover over the outside shower would not unlock. I choose to not to try too hard so I would not waste a bunch of time, or break something before starting the long drive, and just told my sewer hose it would just have to go without a good rinse for once.

So now I'm home and have tried 3 keys with the same result - actually feels like the lock tries to unlock but for some reason just won't turn. This is the approx 4"x9" shower cover, so there no way to reach inside.

I did see another post on here about shooting WD-40 and then a lubricant in the keyhole, which I will try (most things are happier when WD-40 is applied). Meanwhile, does anyone have any other ideas about how to finesse this open - one of those "close one eye and tap it with a left-handed hammer" deals?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
On my Jayco, it used a key different than all the others. Are you using the right key?
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

No, good thought, but this one is the standard CH57 key used on everybody's doors. Part of me is wondering why it needs a lock at all, but I guess I can see why.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

You might try holding in on the door while turning the key. Keep the pressure right below the lock where the bar turns.
WillyB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Worse case scenario, those doors are usually a soft plastic. You might be able to pry it up, allowing the lock at to clear the slot it locks into.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:46 AM   #6
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
No, good thought, but this one is the standard CH57 key used on everybody's doors. Part of me is wondering why it needs a lock at all, but I guess I can see why.
I wondered the same thing because I would never use the outdoor shower because I was too lazy to go get the key.

I swapped it out with just a thumb lock and use it more often now.

http://a.co/f2LXPxp
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:29 AM   #7

I had the same problem, about a week ago. I tapped the door lock with a rubber hammer while using the key, it worked!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

Ok, guys - here's the outcome. I tried tapping, wiggling, pushing and pulling, but nothing worked. Being soft plastic, I made a "slim-jim" with a hook to catch the lock's tab so I could use that to encourage the lock, pried up one one corner of the cover to get the slim-jim in. Pulling on the tab still didn't encourage the lock, but that deformed the cover enough to pop open. Ah-HA!

The lock still doesn't want to work so I blew a bunch of Universal Fixit (aka WD-40) in the keyhole and let that work while I jiggled the key. I was almost ready to declare defeat and go buy a replacement when it finally unstuck. Woo HOO!

Another blast of Univ. Fixit, work it back and forth for a while, then some Teflon lube, and all is back to normal. Apparently it swallowed a piece of grit, or some fragment left from original manufacturing?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #9

Had it happen to me last year, lock lube is on my six month schedule now.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #10

I usually have to take my compartment latches apart when they get stiff and eventually will stop turning. I found that a dunking into 80W oil works best (grease dosen't seem to last).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote