Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd agree with all of what's been said PLUS there are some WM that don't allow parking (like souther FL) and some that are just in "scary" locations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #30

The key to success is advertisement. One would have to know the campgrounds offer this amenity in order to take advantage of it. They also would have to provide 24 hour check-in. We would certainly take advantage of the opportunity but someone would have to create an app or Website similar to the Walmart locator in order for this to be successful.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #31

Wal-Mart Parking is not FREE

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
They'd better be free or I doubt many will take advantage. The advantage to Walmart is they are usually very close to the interstate and you just pull in and park. No backing, no disconnecting toad, etc.
I hear what you are saying about being free but Wal-Mart isn't really free particularly if it is warm and you need to run the generator for the A/C or charge the batteries not to mention the visit by your DW inside the store.

My generator burns .7 to .9 gallons per hour (diesel) depending on load and you spend 6-8 hours (9-11PM to 6AM) at Wal-Mart the fuel alone could cost $16 to $28 dollars @ $3.80 per gallon. If the campground was as convenient as the local Wal-Mart and they charge $10 to $15 for electric, with easy in and out with toad attached this could be a winner.

Campgrounds have an uphill battle to convince the RVing public that it is as cheap or cheaper than staying in a Wal-Mart not to mention advertising which campgrounds offer this service. I have a Wal-Mart app on my iPAD maybe this is an opportunity for some Geek to create an app for these campgrounds?

What about check in at midnight and check out at 6AM? Will the office be open to take payment?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Overnight sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
It's not a new idea but one many of us RV'rs have wanted to see in campgrounds for a long time. Maybe half a dozen or less, long enough not to need to unhook, level, pull-thru sites at the front of a campground for $10 or less, 1 night stay only. Electric would be nice but not really necessary especially if they want to keep costs down. I'd certainly prefer a CG if such sites were available.

Lori-
Same here. Sounds like a great idea. I go thru Lake City occasionally and will make an effort go support this owner. Maybe the word will get out to other owners!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Living in FL, many on the list are enforced and many are not. It is a shame that many of the Cities had to pass ordinances. as so many thought they could spend the winters in FL at Walmarts. I live in Cape Coral and that is what closed our Walmart to overnight parking. I remember when it went to City Council because a beater RV was parked there for 2 months. Now, no overnight parking for any of us and it is enforced.

"Overnight" only is not enforced in FT Myers at I-75 but the ordnance is in place if you try to Snowbird or vacation at that Walmart and many others here in FL. Too bad a few ruined it for all of us.

Nice to see an RV park come up with affordable over night parking, wish more would do that. It is too hot in FL not to have electricity for the night or spend the money running the genny all night.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"What about check in at midnight and check out at 6AM? Will the office be open to take payment?"

The particular campground mentioned in the beginning of the post indicates they already have some late check in sites and that if you get there after the office closes and leave before they open that they have a box to put your money in. You know, the honor system.

I visit Florida quite often as my mother lives in the Tampa area and I am always looking for just a place to pull in for the night and sleep. As Brobox mentioned with the Florida heat, AC is pretty much a must. That's the only thing I hookup anyway for overnight stays. I personally don't run the generator at night as I don't want to disturb my neighbors.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
"What about check in at midnight and check out at 6AM? Will the office be open to take payment?"

The particular campground mentioned in the beginning of the post indicates they already have some late check in sites and that if you get there after the office closes and leave before they open that they have a box to put your money in. You know, the honor system.

I visit Florida quite often as my mother lives in the Tampa area and I am always looking for just a place to pull in for the night and sleep. As Brobox mentioned with the Florida heat, AC is pretty much a must. That's the only thing I hookup anyway for overnight stays. I personally don't run the generator at night as I don't want to disturb my neighbors.

I was taking in general and not specific to this campground. If this catches on this can be an issue. If we have people abusing Wal-Mart parking lots then those same people will abuse the honor system.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

I was taking in general and not specific to this campground. If this catches on this can be an issue. If we have people abusing Wal-Mart parking lots then those same people will abuse the honor system.
But at least they would not get away with a 2 or 3 month "free" stay.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
But at least they would not get away with a 2 or 3 month "free" stay.
Agreed! We always call and get permission from the manager before we arrive and I have been told more then once to "PLEASE" take my trash with me. Just another level of abuse by some campers.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #38

Rexhall Owners Group
Flying south to southern Florida in late December, ( and this year back north in April) electric plug ins of at least 30 amp are needed to overnight with the heater running and not the generator. A convenient pull through of 55 ft. or so, with electric plug in would be worth $20/per night to me at those times. Another problem we have with Walmart is the lack of grass for the necessary activities for my dog.
One thought with regard to collecting fees off-hours: Many big cities have gone to credit card activated fee collection devices for parking lots. And I believe we used one of these for the MTA in Boston last summer.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

I agree that some people will abuse the honor system, just hoping not to many. I stay at a couple that use the honor system if you arrive late and leave early and have used it a couple times. I like to think that RV'rs are an honest bunch, but I know that this is not always the case.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Here we go again.

+1

This may be my new favorite thread..............
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #41

Talk about the honor system. Would the violators be any different than they are now. How many time have you seen someone come in late at night, after the office has closed, and leave early in the morning before the office opens? I'm sure that most of us would leave an appropriate payment, but there are those that figure it is a free night and leave nothing. In the Ohio service areas, there is a machine to collect the fee and prints a card to leave on your driver's side dash. Don't know if anyone actually checks or not.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree this may be a great opportunity, especially if it is near the entrance of the park so late arrivals and early departure doesn't disturb others, long pull throughs (75' minimum), electricity is provided so you don't have to run generator and easy access to interstate/highway you are traveling. I would definitely use instead of Wal Mart personally.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote