Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

Complaints

With all that is going on in the RV community (sky high prices, poor quality, camp ground prices, no spots, supply chain problems) a lot of us are getting frustrated.

Are the number of people that cant just deal with it and complain all day getting on your nerves?
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think think the level of dissatisfaction has reached epic proportions across the entire population. People seem conditioned to complain about everything.

RVing used to be a way to escape that for a bit, now we have to work a bit harder to get off grid and tune out.

Be happy or not, your choice. Listen to others complain, my choice.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #3

No, quite frankly I'm surprised more are not up in arms.
When did bad quality and feet dragging ever become acceptable?
The more ppl complain, the more ppl see it and hopefully the behavior will change.
On the other hand it seems like ppl have more money than brains, so they bring it on themselves.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #4

As someone who is still waiting to purchase, I seek out negative comments. Show me warts and all.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #5

If people are complaining about people complaining, you may have a point
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
If people are complaining about people complaining, you may have a point
LOL!! Nailed it!

Maybe irv2 needs a whining and complaining section added.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The RV industry IS rather sad on customer service and satisfaction, but it seems true that there is an awful lot of whining these days. RVing can throw a lot of crap at you and "rolling with the punches" is not a prevalent attitude any more. Plus many people are simply unprepared for a form of recreation that requires the self-discipline to manage limitations on consumption, sharing space with others in the community, and dealing with a technically complex product. It's a new experience for many.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
LOL!! Nailed it!

Maybe irv2 needs a whining and complaining section added.
My thoughts exactly
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
As someone who is still waiting to purchase, I seek out negative comments. Show me warts and all.
That’s all fine and we’ll, but people who are complaining don’t necessarily represent the true nature of things. This is a particularly rough time for all businesses. Shortages of parts, spares, labor pop up out of nowhere and yore down for the count. And what’s the poor customer support person on the phone (who may not even work directly for the company) supposed to do?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #10

We used to enjoy camping with a tent. Now we enjoy camping with our travel trailer. We are really spoiled by the trailer, but it is still about the camping.

We have had a few quality issues, but I'm not ready to go off the deep end yet.

In general talking about forums, I'm not sure I get tired of the complaints so much as those individual posters who seem to habitually have a bone to pick about everything.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #11

Let me see if I have this right. People buy a product that is very complex, there are well known quality control issues at the manufacturing level, labor issues at both factory and dealer levels, long wait times for warranty repairs and replacement parts, issues getting a campsite and all of these issues are well known and easy to find information on before they plunk down many thousands of their hard earned dollars.

Then they complain and whine when those issues arise and they can't just call the guy and have them fixed immediately.
Whatever happened to Buyer Beware and Due Diligence before purchase.

Don't misunderstand, I feel badly for anyone who finds themselves in this position.It shouldn't happen. But they went into this with eyes wide open. Or at least they should have. Some of the responsibility rests with them.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #12

I would guess there are a LOT more satisfied campers out there than what we see of complainers on the forums.

You rarely see a post stating "I love my RV" with no complaints. That's because they're out there having fun, adjusting to what is or perhaps finding alternatives to the way they're camping i.e., finding more reasonable places to camp... and yes, they're out there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Are the number of people that cant just deal with it and complain all day getting on your nerves?
Nope. Beautiful day, blue sky, nearest neighbor about a mile down the NFS road, small herd of deer out my window . . . you just need to find the right places.

(" . . . where seldom is heard
a discouraging word . . .")

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
That’s all fine and we’ll, but people who are complaining don’t necessarily represent the true nature of things. This is a particularly rough time for all businesses. Shortages of parts, spares, labor pop up out of nowhere and yore down for the count. And what’s the poor customer support person on the phone (who may not even work directly for the company) supposed to do?
I'm in the service industry and I'm very sensitive to these issues, but ultimately the fault lies with the manufacturer using engineering that barely covers the weights and for sending out sub-par units with known issues. No COVID excuses here. This is my primary worry.

The other is the dealer-manufacturer relationship and the lack of incentives and support - in both directions. The easiest comparison is with car dealers and their relationships to the brand. Yes, they are independently owned and operated, but car manufacturers use the dreaded customer satisfaction survey to monitor how well a dealer treats its customers and represents the brand. For poor scoring dealers, they don't get access to popular models (or get a reduced quota) or special manufacturer programs. The dealers are incentivized to perform better.

For the manufacturer's part, they can support warranty claims better and do a better job of final QC before it even leaves the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would guess there are a LOT more satisfied campers out there than what we see of complainers on the forums.

You rarely see a post stating "I love my RV" with no complaints. That's because they're out there having fun, adjusting to what is or perhaps finding alternatives to the way they're camping i.e., finding more reasonable places to camp... and yes, they're out there.
Honestly, I do see a lot of this and in fact, I'd say I see mostly the proverbial "happy camper." Little ways to personalize the experience, sharing great locations and campgrounds, ways to make our pets comfortable, waving to other RVers who have the same brand. These and other examples are all over this and other forums.

Due diligence? Yes. Buyer beware? Yes.

If we didn't have a balanced look with both positive *and* negative, that would be worse. Due diligence considers both.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote