Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 12:13 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Concerned for the future

I want to be clear that this is not intended to start debate. Please be kind.

Life has taken my family on a very long detour that has seriously limited our ability to camp and more importantly, invest in new equipment until recently. As we are exploring our new options in replacing our old war horse, 22 year old Dutchman TT, that has served us fatefully for nearly 15 years that we have owned it, we have been reading some startling articles on the web. My old diesel pick has served us well and has been pulling our tt any place we have needed to go for as long as we have been camping but I'm wondering if it might be over? Again, I'm not trying to jump to conclusions or hassle others for there point of view but I'm just wondering what the options are? We were just looking for a new trailer not an entire new (some thing that hasn't been invented yet, electric 1 tons, ect??)..... Is this stuff really issue? Wife and I are getting a little old for tent camping although we enjoyed it when we were younger. We were really hoping to find something new but I'm not sure I could justify it if I can't even go where we would like to over the nest 10 to 15 years given the length of a loan. Thoughts? (Please refer to article for further context, thx)

https://cdllife.com/2021/oregon-lawm...rting-in-2025/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 AM   #2

The idiot that introduced that bill evidently doesn't understand how food gets to his table or the political clout of the trucking industry.
Don't worry about it. Have fun and go camping.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:39 AM   #3

Control the things you can control. Accept the things you can't. You aren't in charge. Accept change as inevitable, learn to embrace it. Nothing is the same as it was 20 years ago or even yesterday. Life is a dynamic process, roll with it. Look forward to the future and enjoy the memories of the past. We all wish we could recapture those pleasant times of long ago but that just isn't going to happen. Life on this earth is a one and done game, do your best to accept that birth is a terminal condition and move on.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Any chimpanzee can introduce a bill. That bill becoming law is a whole different kettle of fish.

Live your life in spite of the idiocy politicians try to rain down on us. It’s impossible to predict the future and I am one who refuses to allow my life to be dominated by the political winds. To hell with them. Every last one of them.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #5

The fact is, it will won't happen. There is no possible way to phase out the sale of diesel fuel by 2024.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #6

And they supposedly help run our country. It will never happen and stay clear of Oregon when in need of fuel.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #7

I don't think this bill is as big of deal as you all think. They will still sell diesel. It will be bio-diesel, but they will still sell it. And they are talking about a few cou ties, not whole state. Everyone can settle down now.

To OP, don't be shaken. Go enjoy time with the family.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

Sometimes legislation is needed to push industry in the right direction (as happened with seat belts, smog controls and EPA fuel mileage requirements), but I agree that this is nothing to worry about.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

Ridiculous to base your RVing future on this bill that's not going to pass. Do you know how many diesels are out there? Buy what you want and enjoy!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

I just read it. Seems they are going after a specific type of diesel.

.” The bill goes on to state that “‘Petroleum diesel‘ does not include fuel that consists of a blend of petroleum diesel and biodiesel or other renewable diesel, as those terms are defined in ORS 646.905, where the biodiesel or other renewable diesel is at least 99 percent of the mixture by volume.”

Doesn't look like it will affect availability of diesel. May affect price. Who knows.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't fill up in those counties.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

This bill is just another politician pandering to his local voters. Hence only affecting a few counties. How do you think all of the trucks that deliver goods could be replaced in the next 3 years and with what ? Buy the Rv that makes you happy & enjoy it.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
This bill is just another politician pandering to his local voters. Hence only affecting a few counties. How do you think all of the trucks that deliver goods could be replaced in the next 3 years and with what ? Buy the Rv that makes you happy & enjoy it.
Again. It doesn’t mention anything about getting rid of diesel. Just petroleum based diesel. I still doubt it will happen. But there is nothing about outlawing the sale of diesel in the bill. It is apparently supported by some trucking companies.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #13

Living in Oregon since 1993 i can tell you it is a very strange state at times. Oregon and Washington are very dependent on long haul trucking down the I-5 corridor..read desiel dependent there are no railways to haul freight what so ever.

Keep Portland Weird has been the city slogan for 30yrs..think about that.

As matter of fact the state is on a real bender right now...have a read.

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/Eu...most%202000%25.

EUGENE BARTENDERS QUESTION 3000% TAX HIKE PROPOSAL ON BEER IN OREGON....
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Much of the highway-use diesel sold in the USA today is not "petroleum diesel" as defined in that bill, i.e. is blend of Bio and Petrol. Typically about 5% Bio.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote