Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #1

Confused about CDL air brakes and registration

Hi all
I live in IL

Looking to buy a Skooly that is partially converted and has a VT rv title

The Illinois CDL guides https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x142.pdf specifically says

“Recreational Vehicle
When using a recreational vehicle primarily for personal use, you do not need to obtain a CDL”

I thought I still needed an air brake test but the guy at dmv says I can’t get that without a CDL written and road test.

Also when I buy it, do I just transfer title in VT instead of IL?

Thanks

Mark
MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #2

Welcome to irv2 .

Many states don't have the requirement for ; air brake training/testing on RV drivers .

Sounds like IL is one of them .

I can't provide any insight into transfer of title .

EDIT: If you trying to post a link , here in the forums ; it has to be on it's own separate line .
Old 06-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCHI View Post

The Illinois CDL guides

https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/p...s/dsd_x142.pdf

specifically says

“Recreational Vehicle
When using a recreational vehicle primarily for personal use, you do not need to obtain a CDL”

Thanks

Mark

I'll try and fix your link
Old 06-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #4

I think the only opinion I would trust on what makes a vehicle designed and built as a school bus under a specific set of federal and state regulations become a recreational vehicle subject perhaps to a different set of regulations would be a legal opinion from the Attorney General of the state in question.
My suggestion would be to write a letter to the Illinois AG asking for such an opinion and keep a copy of the letter to satisfy any DMV official or LEO who may be confused about what you're driving.
OBTW. I hate to digress but I was really impressed by some unusual mods to a skoolie parked next to me recently. I liked the replacement of the school bus windows, which are a major part of the crash worthiness(especially rollover,) with what appears to be heavy gauge steel. The old entry/exit door was modified to be a smaller emergency exit door with external stairs. A main entry/exit RV style door and folding handhold was added further back where it is less likely to be damaged in a frontal collision. The rear emergency exit door was maintained. I hope they maintained at least one roof vent/exit for a much quicker and easier exit if the bus winds up on its side.
Sorry for the side trip. Carry on.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
Attachment 369220Attachment 369221
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #5

You will get a new title in your name when you register it in IL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #6

Air brakes require knowledge

In the state of Nevada to drive any Air brake vehicle you need a air brake certificate. Class "A' RVs with air brakes because of their wieght generally require a "Non-Comerrcial Class A License" with air brake and J certificate if you are going to tow over 10,000 pounds. While jumping through the hoops can be a PITA, I feel it is worthwhile.

Many folks that purchase large air brake equipped coaches have little or no experience with air brakes or even heavy vehicles. For this reason special licensing for coaches is a good idea, heavy vehicles perform, handle and brake much differently than passenger cars and pick-ups, even smaller motor-homes. Air brakes in particular require more knowledge of their operation and systems to ensure your safe operation. Right off you have air brake lag, the time from when you press the pedal to the brakes activating, required operating pressures, safe leakage rates, checking and maintaining slack adjusters, and much more.

It behooves anyone who drives an air-brake equipped RV to take and pass the air brake certificate test in their state, even if not required. Just completing the study guides and practice tests is better than nothing. The knowledge you can gain on air brakes this way could save you a ton of grief or possibly your life.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
In the state of Nevada to drive any Air brake vehicle you need a air brake certificate. Class "A' RVs with air brakes because of their wieght generally require a "Non-Comerrcial Class A License" with air brake and J certificate if you are going to tow over 10,000 pounds. While jumping through the hoops can be a PITA, I feel it is worthwhile.

Many folks that purchase large air brake equipped coaches have little or no experience with air brakes or even heavy vehicles. For this reason special licensing for coaches is a good idea, heavy vehicles perform, handle and brake much differently than passenger cars and pick-ups, even smaller motor-homes. Air brakes in particular require more knowledge of their operation and systems to ensure your safe operation. Right off you have air brake lag, the time from when you press the pedal to the brakes activating, required operating pressures, safe leakage rates, checking and maintaining slack adjusters, and much more.

It behooves anyone who drives an air-brake equipped RV to take and pass the air brake certificate test in their state, even if not required. Just completing the study guides and practice tests is better than nothing. The knowledge you can gain on air brakes this way could save you a ton of grief or possibly your life.

Air brakes have certain idiosyncrasies that require special knowledge to maintain. Many states ignore this and do not require any special licensing or testing; mine is one of them (Indiana).
The average auto driver does not know air brakes require a longer stopping distance than hydraulic brakes; as witnessed by the number of autos who pull in front of a HDT and stop short.
On this website, irv2.com, just last year I asked a member "when was the last time you manually drained your compressed air tanks?" He didn't even know that was a requirement.

Air Brake Practice Test
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No special license needed in Illinois. No air brake test either, although you should know how to do an air brake test and how to maintain them. There are many guides and videos out there. You’ll need to register your new vehicle where you and it will reside. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post

Actually Nevada does not issue an Air Brake Certificate. All of their classifications are weight based as follows:

Nevada Non-Commercial Vehicle Classifications

Class A - May drive any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating
(GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being towed has a
gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds; or
Any combination of vehicles not exceeding 70 feet in length with a gross
combination weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less so long as the gross
combination weight rating of the towed vehicles does not exceed the gross
vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.

Class B - May drive any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more
pounds, or any vehicle which is towing another vehicle which does not have a
gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

Class C - May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the
definition of a vehicle for which a Class A or B driver’s license is required. May
tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length and not to exceed a
combined weight rating or a combined weight of more than 10,000 pounds
without any additional testing or endorsements.

J Endorsement: Towing
May tow a vehicle (GVWR) or a combination of vehicles (GCWR) of more than
10,000 pounds. The combination of vehicles may not exceed 70 feet in length or
have a combined weight rating or a combined weight that exceeds 26,000
pounds. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed
26,000 lbs., a Class A license is required.

Study guide link

I am licensed in Nevada and hold a Class B Non-Commercial driver's license because I'm over 26,000 lbs but do not tow anything over 10,000 lbs.

It is true that part of my test included air brake knowledge, however there was no certificate issued.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:52 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As a lover of attorneys that advertise on TV---I try to be legal as possible just in case of an accident.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCHI View Post
Hi all
I live in IL

Looking to buy a Skooly that is partially converted and has a VT rv title

The Illinois CDL guides https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/p...s/dsd_x142.pdf specifically says

“Recreational Vehicle

I thought I still needed an air brake test but the guy at dmv says I can’t get that without a CDL written and road test.

Also when I buy it, do I just transfer title in VT instead of IL?

Thanks

Mark
Here's some info about RV registration and license for the state of Illinois. I didn't see anything here about air brakes...

1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:22 AM   #12

In Illinois you need a class B non CDL. There are air brake questions on the written test.
daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:06 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
As a guy that use to drive a semi, You should know how to preform a air brake test. We had to do one as part of our Pre-trip every morning. We were required to drain our air tanks every night when we got back to the yard to make sure we drained all the water out of the system. Very important in the winter months. Basically in the morning we would time how long it took to reach 120lbs and shut off the engine and hold down the pedal and watch and see if you had any leaks. Pump the brakes down till the buzzer comes on re-start the engine and time how long it took to build back up to 120lbs. You wouldn't have to do everyday on a RV but should do every couple of days if your on the road. Should always do a pre-trip inspection of the coach before leaving out on the road.
J Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
No special license needed in Illinois. No air brake test either, although you should know how to do an air brake test and how to maintain them. There are many guides and videos out there. You’ll need to register your new vehicle where you and it will reside. Good luck with your project.
What's the basis for this statement? I did more checking and it definitely seems I need a difference license:

The Illinois non-CDL Rules of the road says:

Class C — Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 pounds, but less than 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Also allows for operation of Class D vehicles.

Class D — Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 pounds or less. Does not include A. B, C, L or M vehicles.

MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air brakes, brake, brakes, fuse