Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Connecting sewer hose wrong

Most instructions I see at dump stations say to connect the hose to rv drain first and then other end into dump drain. I followed this method as a newb, but now do it in the reverse order. The reason is that sometimes the 90 degree discharge fitting needs to be turned to prevent a twisted hose if the coupled end is not in the right position. I occasionally see folks struggling with this when dumping.

I don't understand the logic for the dump instructions method.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

Agree 100%. Guys who wrote those instructions were not experienced RV'ers. Probably some of the same guys that design most RV's! 😎
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

It really makes no difference since nothing's coming out till you pull the handles.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Just make sure the hose is attached on both ends. A person next to me forget to hook up at the RV side and pulled the handle. Yuuuuk!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Some drain hoses allow you to turn the 90* fitting around on the hose so it will always sit straight on the pipe.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Some drain hoses allow you to turn the 90* fitting around on the hose so it will always sit straight on the pipe.
I was just going to say that. I hook the RV side first, then turn the 90 degree sewer fitting so it aligns with the hole in the ground. Tell you the truth, I didn't know there was any other way to do it!

Side note:
At a state park in New Mexico that did not provide sewer hookups, I saw a water valve cover with the following painted on it. "This is not a sewer connection!"I wonder how many people used that for a sewer....or tried.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #7

You will someday find yourself with a broken tank valve and have two open ends to your hose. If you have the one into the ground connection first, you have a chance of connecting the hose to your RV with a smaller problem. If you don't, you could have a problem after you remove the cap and then try to frantically connect the hose, only to quickly remember that you have the hose laying on the ground. Hopefully you never run into this. I have had this problem more than a few times - still trying to get the dealership/manufacture figure out why my black dump valve vibrates open as I drive down the road. I have installed a secondary valve on the sewer outlet to mitigate the problem.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been on here many years and this is the first post I've ever seen regarding which end of the sewer hose to connect first.

Thanks for the variety!!!

Oh, by the way, I connect to my RV first...of course I'm not too experienced yet.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #9

At dump stations, I hook up to the MH valve and then put a straight end in the hole.

I have an elbow, but haven't used it yet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the problems with connecting to the sewer first is the smell is now coming out the hose end while you are threading it through the hole in your water compartment.

And if it's a long stretch for the hose it makes it more difficult to bend it and twist it on inside the water compartment.

So a lot depends on your RV's sewer outlet location.

Let me throw in another oddity...Years ago I had a clear hose. It was great because I could tell exactly when everything was done flushing.

The clear collars help a bit but the clear hose was great.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Most instructions I see at dump stations say to connect the hose to rv drain first and then other end into dump drain. I followed this method as a newb, but now do it in the reverse order. The reason is that sometimes the 90 degree discharge fitting needs to be turned to prevent a twisted hose if the coupled end is not in the right position. I occasionally see folks struggling with this when dumping.

I don't understand the logic for the dump instructions method.
Different coaches, different approaches,

Okiedoke, you'll find so many different ways to do things as you gain more experience and just like all the good info you get from this forum, you'll find a way that we may not know of for something sooner or later, and add to the overall wealth of info here.

Happy trails
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote