Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

Considering becoming an RV Inspector

After a few years of full time, my wife and I "pulled off" the road several years ago and settled down to dull regular suburban life.
We keep the Alfa next to the house, stocked, powered, and (fridge on!) ready to go - and due to COVID 19 - were able to spend over 100 nights in it in 2020, despite both holding full time jobs.

Frankly, I'm bored. I have 5+years of RVIng (not much I know) and am fairly Mechanically/Electrically competent. I work full time in IT from home.

I am considering driving/flying to East Texas to take the RVNIA inspector course, and think this could be an excellent side hustle to my 9-5 (often 8-7) IT job.

Has anyone had any experience with the RVNIA course? Has anyone become a RV Inspector?

Setting up a LLC doesn't scare me, and I've done several "unofficial" RV inspections for friends already. I know what to look for, but would love to become official, and fill the gaps in knowledge. My understanding is a typical professional Inspection is $300-500 and do a couple of those a month on the weekends...you see where I am coming from.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Is it a worthwhile endeavor? Thoughts?

Thanks!
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #2

Hmmm, interesting idea.
I would want to know up front what your liability would be if you missed something that wound up costing the client a lot of grief or money (both?). I would have to have some sort of "malpractice insurance" and that might be pricey, assuming an underwriter would cover you for something like this.
Other than that, if you can pull $300-$500 per job, it's a nice little side.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Hmmm, interesting idea.
I would want to know up front what your liability would be if you missed something that wound up costing the client a lot of grief or money (both?). I would have to have some sort of "malpractice insurance" and that might be pricey, assuming an underwriter would cover you for something like this.
Other than that, if you can pull $300-$500 per job, it's a nice little side.

That was my first thought also. The cost of whatever kind of professional liability policy might apply to an RV inspector might be a major factor.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:49 AM   #4

Investigate LLCs well...my understanding when I set up mine and got rid of it (boat delivery and instruction) was that LLCs don't protect the individual actually doing the work. So if you have employees, great...none...no protection likely.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ankruptcy.html

The corporate veil is usually pierced if the creditor can show that the corporation or LLC was a shell created only to provide liability protection for its owners or the company was practically inseparable from or an alter ego of its owners.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've considered doing the same. It isn't easy, or fast, money though.

To do our DP, it took 2 of us a good 8 hours, and that was before the final report was generated. Plus the cost to do the oil, trans, coolant tests.

It does pay ok: $1,000. So, assuming 24 hours of work (8 hours to do the report, 16 hours to do inspection) that works out to $41/hr. - assuming the fluid tests are cost plus flow thru.

I know I made more in IT, but it is fun to do.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
That was my first thought also. The cost of whatever kind of professional liability policy might apply to an RV inspector might be a major factor.
A lot of the liabilty risks can be managed in contracts. I'm sure if you read the paper you sign to get an inspection there will be a list of waivers of liability.

That said insurance is still likely a must to be safe.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I've considered doing the same. It isn't easy, or fast, money though.

To do our DP, it took 2 of us a good 8 hours, and that was before the final report was generated. Plus the cost to do the oil, trans, coolant tests.

It does pay ok: $1,000. So, assuming 24 hours of work (8 hours to do the report, 16 hours to do inspection) that works out to $41/hr. - assuming the fluid tests are cost plus flow thru.

I know I made more in IT, but it is fun to do.
And without the hours and needy customers calling back. I like the idea of a inspection, payment, and walk away. I am surprised your inspection took so long, but I'm more of a trailer guy, and could see limiting myself to them. Smaller market, but more my area. LOTS of $20k campers on Craigslist here, and I feel like a decent business could be made inspecting them for $300-500.

ALSO I like the idea of making my own hours and doing it when I have time, and not when I don't.

I hear the concerns about liability, but I am struggling to see the issue there. LLC, LLC insurance, and a clause in the contract that your not liable for anything missed would seem to be good enough for most folk.

If not, well that's what the insurance is for.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #8

Hold harmless clauses might not hold up well in a court case involving bodily injury resulting from inspector's negligence.

Just saying, don't take that liability exposure lightly.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:33 PM   #9

depending on what state you are in liability can vary greatly. It all sounds great to make your own hours and collect the cash but it is a business. With a business comes all of the liabilities and headaches that can, and will arise. One only needs to think about the person they have met that they would absolutely not want to enter into a business arrangement with and think about how wrong things can go.
If you have your heart set on it, then go for it. BUT do it with both eyes open. The list of those that turned their hobby into a business only to regret it is endless.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The checklist I used is 21 pages long, and if I do another one I'd add another page or two for things we didn't inspect enough. We took pics of everything we looked at. Ran all systems for at least 15 minutes, separate & together (e.g., each AC, then all 3 ACs; each induction burner, then both). If I was inspecting it for the first, and only, time we would have taken a good 30 minutes test drive.

It should be a full day. If I were to put my name on a report, I'd make dang sure I didn't miss something.

I agree trailers are simpler. But a fancy 5th wheel might take a little closer to a DP.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:45 AM   #11

All the arm chair lawyers have chimed in.
I say go for it , its an inspection not certifying a moon shot .
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
All the arm chair lawyers have chimed in.
I say go for it , its an inspection not certifying a moon shot .
LOL - I was thinking the same thing. Many times you might just be checking for someone who doesn't want to fly across the country to inspect it.

You aren't guaranteeing that the A/C will never break. Only that it works right now. You aren't expected to take apart each slide motor and inspect the bearings for wear. Does the slide move in and out smoothly and as someone who has seen this hundreds of times does everything seem right.

Most people never do anything because they can only see the "what if's".

There aren't truly THAT many systems that you couldn't check them out in a few hours. People hire you because they may know nothing about RV's. You know a lot and know if it is a problem that both A/C's dont fire up right away and is a red flag or is that normal.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #13

I'm not sure how much you would be liable for anything especially if you have a good contract. It would be a lot like home inspectors how liable are they? I know the last one we used was terrible and didn't really now how a lot of things should work even though he had a certificate saying he passed a course in it.

I've thought about doing the same thing as a semi retirement gig and would like to hear if you go for it how it works out for you.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #14

Well, I guess some are advising practice good risk management and others are advising not to worry about protecting your assets.