Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Considering buying an RV

We are considering purchasing a good used Class A RV in 2020 after we sell our house. My wife and I intend on travelling through Canada and the USA. This is a very broad set of questions, but advice would be appreciated.

1. I have heard that big RV's (40' or so), are limited as to where they can park. For example, will we always be stuck on a concrete pad, in an RV park, jammed close to neighbours? I would prefer that would not be the case all the time.
2. With an RV of that size, many have said it would be beneficial to tow a car in order to get around when the RV is parked. Thoughts on this? I don't want to purchase a fifth wheel with a dually, but that has been suggested in the past to me.
3. Since the RV would be our home for a few years, can anyone recommend the best size RV in order to give us the space my wife and I need while at the same time ensuring we do not get on each others nerves (yeah...that is a tough one to answer).
4. RV type? Lots of manufacturers out there so not sure who the good ones are. Ideally would love to acquire something used with liveability, expanding sides, nice amenities, diesel would be nice. Was not sure where to start and what I should look for.

Sorry....these questions are extremely general, but it is a start, and I am sure many of you have been in our position in the past, so your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
Ottawa, ON
RoadDawg613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

First have you ever RVed. That is important. Many times people do what you are planning but never RVed, find out they hate it/not for them. I would really consider that aspect first.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

These are hard questions to answer, as different people have different opinions on each topic.

You will get people that say campground access is problem and people that say they have never had an issue while driving their 45 ft long diesel pusher, while pulling a full size pickup truck behind.

The simple truth is the smaller the RV the more campsites you will fit in, this is particularly true for older public campgrounds built before the era of large RV's with slides. Also how do you define availability, if a campground has a hundred 30 ft long camp sites, fifty, 35 ft long camp sites, and twenty, 40 foot long camp sites, and five 45 ft long sites, is it really fair to claim that the campground can accommodate a 43 ft diesel pusher?

The topic of dragging a car around is another hot point issue, people on the forum overwhelming do drag a car around, I am not one of them (yet), though suspect I will be moving that way at some point. My personal feeling is that the need to drag a car around increases with the overall size of the coach, under 25 ft and people can generally live without on, under 30 ft and it is possible to do without one, though it gets harder, over 40 ft you need a TOAD.

As to the best size coach, this is another very personal topic, a true minimalist couple could be happy in a 24 ft class B, yet others feel a 45 ft diesel pusher with 2 full wall slides is barely big enough. I have a 28 ft class A with no slides, and feel that it is plenty big for my wife and I on moderate length trips, up to a couple of weeks, and easily good for a month when travelling solo. Though it would probably be less space than I would want if we were to take an extended trip. Then of course there is the topic of amenities, like washing machines, dish washers, cargo carrying capacity, ....
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg613 View Post
We are considering purchasing a good used Class A RV in 2020 after we sell our house. My wife and I intend on travelling through Canada and the USA. This is a very broad set of questions, but advice would be appreciated.

1. I have heard that big RV's (40' or so), are limited as to where they can park. For example, will we always be stuck on a concrete pad, in an RV park, jammed close to neighbours? I would prefer that would not be the case all the time.
It's a trade-off! I would not want much less than a 40' rig to live in fulltime. Yes, there will be places you won't be able to get into, such as some state parks, etc., but I wouldn't worry that much about it,

2. With an RV of that size, many have said it would be beneficial to tow a car in order to get around when the RV is parked. Thoughts on this? I don't want to purchase a fifth wheel with a dually, but that has been suggested in the past to me. I would definitely plan to tow a vehicle! Personally I prefer to flat-tow instead of using a tow dolly.

3. Since the RV would be our home for a few years, can anyone recommend the best size RV in order to give us the space my wife and I need while at the same time ensuring we do not get on each others nerves (yeah...that is a tough one to answer). We think 40' is ideal, but everybody's got their own ideas on this!

4. RV type? Lots of manufacturers out there so not sure who the good ones are. Ideally would love to acquire something used with liveability, expanding sides, nice amenities, diesel would be nice. Was not sure where to start and what I should look for. You didn't mention what your budget will be for the RV. I would go for a diesel pusher a few years old rather than a new or newer gas model. I would rather let someone else take the huge depreciation hit when driving a new rig off the lot, and let them go through the hassle of getting all the bugs out during the warranty period.

Sorry....these questions are extremely general, but it is a start, and I am sure many of you have been in our position in the past, so your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
Ottawa, ON

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we first thought of going full time we had 35' Type A gas unit. Ordered a double slide 38' DP in 2000 as our "perfect rig". In 2002 we ordered our "perfect rig" a 40' DP with three slides. In 2015 we traded that in on a 45' quad slide MH.
Over the years we went from not towing anything to towing on a dolly to 4 down.
So, now we had the perfect rig for us. Unfortunately my wife is now deceased so I've got a huge rig for the 6 cats and I to enjoy.
Costs? Well, the '02 Dutch Star 40, rig was the cheapest and most dependable rig we ever owned. The present 45' CC is the most expensive due to the continuing Cummins engine problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

A lot of this depends on your pre-RV lifestyle, age, physical limitations, financial resources, etc. At the risk of being accused of stereotyping, I offer the following:

If you are physically fit, have a minimalist attitude, history of backpacking, kayaking, etc. you might be perfectly happy with a Sprinter Van conversion or the like, possibly even one of the hard-core 4WD conversions. Conversely, you would probably be miserable with a 40 foot class A.

On the other hand, if you like your creature comforts, prefer the resort life, etc. then a 40' - 45' high end DP will probably be more to your liking (assuming you can afford it).

Realistically, though, most of us fall somewhere in between but realizing where on the continuum you fall and in what direction your aspirations lie will help guide you.

I suggest you utilize the Google search block at the top of the page and search for key words that zero in on each of your questions. That will lead you to existing discussions of the key topics you've asked about.

I'd also recommend that you rent a class C for a few days. That experience should help you start to zero in on things.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
PKI

The smaller YOU can be comfortable with is best all around.

A 40fter can be the maximum allowed on some roads. The 45s have to travel interstates and designated alternates. Not an issue in all states, but worth considering.

A diesel pusher will be quieter to drive and usually more comfortable. However, much more expensive if you do not do your own maintenance.

Selling house ..... OK, lots of folks do that, but add another very important plan to your agenda. You need an exit strategy from the RV life when you can no longer enjoy the adventure. Many ways to address, but do not assume. Investigate and pay for it before you can't.

A motorhome is in most ways, more convenient. It is also more expensive to maintain and the risk of major repairs is higher. A travel trailer is better for many, but not all. Several solutions need a look before you decide to buy. Investigate the four season trailers and understand how they are different from vacation trailers. Look at the Airstreams. While there are issues, they are easy to tow, nice looking and hold value. A used well maintained late model unit is best value. Expand that review to include their competition like Lance, ORV, Oliver, and other well respected brands. The 5ers are your next step. Yes, it locks you in to a big truck so look closely at the pros and cons. It can be a portable house and serve you well. It can be an anchor that holds you back. Some are equiped to haul your toys and expand your adventure. Now backup a bit. There are smaller 5ers, but you have to look for them. Lighter and easier to get you around the country.

Best is going to be what is best for you. Worst is going to be what you waste your money to buy, does not last before it breaks and ruins your adventure.

So - best advice is "Do not buy until you know what you want and why." You have a lot of research to do. The internet forums can help. Read, ask questions and do the work. Your first RV is often not your last, but research helps to make it a best fit initially. Bigger is often touted as better, but actually, smaller is best for easy travel. Most stable is also best for travel. Bend in the middle can help match to narrow and twisty roads. Low profile is less of an issue with trees and covered bridges.

Question 1 - what do you now drive and feel comfortable for travel.
Question 2 - what type of travel do you want to do .... National Parks, special events, cooking, quilting, fishing, boating, golf, music, two lane exploration, relatives and friends, all the states, leef peeping, historic sites, snow birding, hot or cold climate ........ it makes a difference.
Question 3 - what adventure is best ... sitting around a fire, hiking or off road driving .... your rig needs to be different to match that style.
Question 4 - what is your budget and how do you accomodate RVing and your after exit plan.

Suggestion - consider starting with a small solution, learning for a year and moving on to your best solution after you have a good feel for what you like and dislike. A Casita or a B-van can get you started and make a good trade-in. Likely you can get a number of your bucket list items checked off the list. You could take your existing vehicle and travel with it for a few months. Lots of RV parks have cabins that you can rent. One couple decided they wanted to tow a travel trailer, but did not know what. They purchased a new truck, added a topper and went truck camping for a while. Some folks use a camper on a truck and tow a travel trailer. Some folks tow with a mini van. Some folks use an over the road semi tractor to tow a rig. Others use the sport trucks that were developed to handle large horse trailers. My Ex-boss bought a horse trailer with accomodation so his wife could keep her horses. It takes all types to makeup the RV community.

Skills/knowledge you need - towing/MoHo driving with wind - cameras/mirrors - travel trailer hitches/WD/SC/PPP - DC/batteries/generators/solar - AC/refrigeration/residential/marine/dual fuel - RV parks/boondocking - winterizing - small space living - snowbirding - GPS/maps/books/Apps - plumbing - leveling - leak prevention/sealing - load balancing - scale weights - tires - brakes - gas/diesel/electric - on the road mail/banking ......

Toads - separate question, so read up on it. Hold for now if you can go with a smaller RVing solution. The mohos have somewhat limited towing until you go big, so understand the dinghy tow, braking and why dolly or trailer might be needed.

It used to be said that most folks purchase their new car in 48hrs after they start looking. Do not be that person. Do your research. Take notes. Ask questions and think before you sign.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #8

Considering buying an RV

Throw out a budget number so we can help you spend, er, shop.
For all we know you are somewhere less than $5,000 US or over $500,000 Canadian?
Old 12-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Throw out a budget number so we can help you spend, er, shop.
For all we know you are somewhere less than $5,000 US or over $500,000 Canadian?
X2![emoji16]
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome to the forum. Here are our thoughts as we recently purchased a larger coach and we will be full timing in it. The new coach is 40 FT.

We very rarely camp in an “RV resort” on a concrete pad. But we rather prefer to camp in State Parks, COE parks, NP, NRAs, City parks, and county parks. 85% or more of the time we are camped on grass, gravel, dirt, sand and not concrete pad.

2. With an RV of that size, many have said it would be beneficial to tow a car in order to get around when the RV is parked. Thoughts on this? I don't want to purchase a fifth wheel with a dually, but that has been suggested in the past to me.

You will want to tow a car (TOAD) and our preference is to tow 4 wheels down rather than on a dolly. We will be upgrading to a Jeep Trail Hawk this summer

3. Since the RV would be our home for a few years, can anyone recommend the best size RV in order to give us the space my wife and I need while at the same time ensuring we do not get on each others nerves (yeah...that is a tough one to answer).

You are probably looking at 36-40 ft. as a min. Most important is floor plan and what you want in it. We opted not to have the second bathroom but rather more room in the living area. We did add a washer and dryer and would never not have one. Also, a fireplace adds a nice touch for “living in the coach”

4. RV type? Lots of manufacturers out there so not sure who the good ones are. Ideally would love to acquire something used with liveability, expanding sides, nice amenities, diesel would be nice. Was not sure where to start and what I should look for.

A DP will do you the best over the long haul. Look at the various builders and coach models. See what works for you. Look at the quality of the build and finish. That is how we ended up with our Tiffin and we LOVE it.

Hope this helps. If you have never traveled in an RV then rent some for some short trips and see how you do.

Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like A32Deuce has said,have you ever RV'd before? If not I would highly recommend renting a couple of different rigs before getting serious about buying.Its not for everybody,especially fulltiming.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum!!

I am with the camp that while the RV lifestyle looks great on those reality shows, those shows have very little reality. You need to get out and explore this lifestyle before committing further. These shows seem to miss having to set leveling blocks in a cold rain, septic lines coming loose, water heater control boards failing while SWMBO is in the shower, and the AAV sticking open and finding out when you open the bathroom door among hundreds of other fun things.

Second is what I call the elephant in this room that no one addresses at all. Before you sell your house and move into a coach, ask yourselves "what happens if your coach becomes unliveable"? Do you have a back up plan and the resources to implement it?

I hope you try the RV experience and the learning curve will be much steeper the less experience you have and jumping all in may jade what would have been a great experience taken in small doses.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

On being over 40ft.

Only once have we had to look around due to first choice park not having room for our size. NOW we do use commercial parks and not state/national parks. (Only exception so far Grand Canyon.)

On 2.

TOAD all the way! Without you must work around rental times and availability and/or Uber etc.

On 3
Kind of simple the bigger the easier to get away from each other but you are going to be close no matter what. Floor plan will matter!

On 4
We went class A for a number of reasons and budget kept growing as I found things I hated in mfg of lower cost units. Lots of threads around comparing class A's and 5th wheels. No one can tell you what is right for you except you!

As to question others asked if you had RV'd. This is wife's and my first RV and I had not been camping since a kid. (60 now.) What you have to know is yourself and spouse! Like I knew if we rented something lower level than we were looking at we might get turned off to RV'ing so we just got what we thought best for us.

NOW on budget you will need to have major reserve JIC you need major repairs like engine rebuild. Also personally I recommend do not spend more than you can comfortably afford to lose. Sure you should recover some of the cost but no where close to 100%. Also you will want other items over just the RV, TOAD, and marrying them. Things like chairs, bikes (possibly folding), etc.

Tom
Old 12-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg613 View Post

Thanks
Ken
Ottawa, ON
I had never had an RV but my research and stopping at camp sites led me to get a 38' Beaver. I wanted something around 35' but settled on the 38' due to the features. It is a diesel pusher and was 14 years old when I got it. I purchased a Fiat 500 for a toad at the same time. It has become my daily driver and I would not be without it when we go away. I think if you look at class c's you will find them rather cramped. We only have one slide and the coach is liveable with the slide in or out. You probably should check the functionality with the slides in. There will likely be times when you cannot put them out. Rest stops, Walmarts etc. Look for a good well maintained used coach. If pre 2008 you will likely not have to purchase DEF for emissions controls. Newell, Tiffin, Foretravel, Beaver Custom Coach, Newmar. You can read all the reviews. Look for one with new tires. Look carefully for signs of leaks and delamination. Pay for a full inspection unless you are very handy and have some idea what you are looking at. Good luck!
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying