Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Considering RV

I've been considering buying a used class A, maybe gasser maybe diesel. Been reading this site a lot. I've learned you have to check the date of the tires no matter how good they look and you have to drive the various MH's you are considering and pick the floor plan you like

Largest thing I've ever driven is a large U Haul. Is the RV dealer going to let me drive the unit if they know I've never driven one?
rocketman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rocketman,

Go in and tell them you have never driven an RV. They will work with you. DO NOT BUY THE FIRST RV YOU DRIVE!

You take it easy and then go to another or back to this place. Try again and you will get more familiar and secure and confident. Turns are wider, speed a bit slower to get started, more time and space to stop.

I drove a MH multiple times before my husband did. Our MH was the first he drove and he did fine from the get go. Just take your time and relax. If people are passing you it's OK. Back roads and take your time.

We bought a used gasser. Don't know anything about diesels and the husband could do things to the gasser. Bought used because we wanted to pay cash. Check out PPL Motorhomes website out of Texas. You can see the floor plans there and get an idea of price to start to learn.

We flew there and bought ours and drove it back to MI. Again, his first time driving a MH.

You will do fine. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum
Good question. I would suspect yes as they carry insurance to accommodate that type of risk. I'd expect that a good portion of the dealers clientele might have less experience than even the U-Haul truck. How did that driving experience turn out for you? The sales personnel probably have specific protocols and test routes that they will no doubt try to adhere too. There isn't much that will stand in between them and a sale.
Where else but in America can people purchase large ticket items that they can be ill equipped to maneuver. I've known individuals who've purchased 100+hp $20k motorcycles who could barely ride a bicycle. Back when I did more boating, I knew individuals with motor yachts that could not come close to parking them even sober.
Please don't take these points as a criticism because we all have had to learn to do everything we do. You will be able to drive and become proficient with a MH and we wish you the best of luck doing it.
Some areas of the country even have driving schools which help folks learn many of the basics it's usually money / time well invested.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have driven the box truck you will do fine with a gasser, a diesel pusher may take a bit as you are seated in front of the steers and this takes a little getting used to. On the diesel you will have air brakes which are a little different in parking brake plus a shift pad no shift handle. If a dealer wants to sell the RV they will let you drive it, but inform them of your inexperience and you will be fine. As others have said tour many RV's before making you choice and then purchase two or three more before your satisfied, LOL.

LEN
Old 06-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Yes, you should drive any motor home you want to purchase. Gas / Diesel will handle differently. Also trans and length will make a difference. Some people like a driver's side door and the location of the passenger door may also be a factor. Side and rear cameras will also make a difference in how you feel driving. What type of camping are you considering. State parks may be difficult to navigate through and the site may be too short for larger rigs. Pull through site would be the best option when first starting out while you get used to the rig. And yes, check the date of the tires. I just traded in a 2008 with 13,400 miles and it need 6 new tires. Make sure the roof is good and has been maintained. Good luck and see what kind if extended warranty you can get.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote