Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Considering switch from AAA to Good Sam Roadside Assistance

My wife's membership with AAA comes due in October, but I was considering switching to GS for my wife and I and the travel trailer. We just had AAA for my wife and daughter and I had GM roadside assistance for the truck. We didn't have AAA RV for the camper since we never took it very far from home and only a couple times a year and I am always the one driving.

Now, with my daughter gone and my GM roadside gone, I am thinking of going with GS for my wife and I and the camper for peace of mind.

My question is, what is the best rate I can get right now? I see it for $79, but was wondering if there is a discount I am not aware of. Is there anything for disabled veterans perhaps? Or anything that can get me something lower than $79.00?
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Why not FMCA Roadside Rescue for $69.00/year. Dues are $50/year and you get FMCAssist, repatriation insurance, included plus many other discounts.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

We are pretty happy with AAA+RV. We upgraded this spring because it was the least expensive option at the time. We used it the first day into our 3 month trip and they did very well by us.
We used to belong to Good Sam, but found the service to have deteriorated greatly since Camping World took it over. We dropped it several years ago and have not missed it at all.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Why not FMCA Roadside Rescue for $69.00/year. Dues are $50/year and you get FMCAssist, repatriation insurance, included plus many other discounts.

X2! We've been with GS since 2001 but will be switching to FMCA when it comes due again!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would keep AAA rv if I ever planned on maybe needing a tow.
I would use gs if I was never ever going to need anything.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I would keep AAA rv if I ever planned on maybe needing a tow.
I would use gs if I was never ever going to need anything.
I dumped AAA when they left me sitting with a blowout on a 5th wheel just outside Lansing, MI. Finally told them to forget it and limped into a small town with a tire shop.

Switch to Coach Net. Haven't had to use them yet so can't comment on their service.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coachnet is the BEST!

Title this "Another Schwintek Slide Drive Failure" and then consider Coachnet sent in a repair service from 2 states away when I was in Montana to make it right!

Excellent contact along the way, no charge for me (which was amazing) and courteous polite contractor arrived.

Signed: A Coachnet customer for LIFE!
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
X2! We've been with GS since 2001 but will be switching to FMCA when it comes due again!
X-3 I switched from Coach Net to FM CA roadside assist and went from $139 a year to $69 a year. It was a no brainer for me
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #9

OK, so FMCA seems to be the flavor of the month. Do they cover personal autos for me and wife as well as the travel trailer, even when not towing?

Is there any discounts anyone knows of for FMCA other than the always available "SPECIAL PRICE" of $69.00?
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your entire household vehicles are automatically covered with Good Sam Roadside - that is as long as your name is one the title.

Have used GSRA 3 times over the years. Only problem was time. For a normal flat tire average wait was 2hrs. Battery died and the wait time was 6 hrs - I called a friend and we changed it out in less than 30 minutes.

Just joined FMCA and seriously looking at their RA plan. The price is right but not sure of service.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #11

Yes, your other vehicles are covered with FMCA Roadside Rescue. The only requirement that have heard is that your FMCA membership renewal date must be beyond the date you are requesting FMCA Roadside Rescue. I signed up for 3 years. Have not used it as yet. At the Gillette seminar, VAS which is the parent company stated that all the Roadside companies use the same answering services that has 3,000 people answering the phone. If you get one that doesn’t respond as you think they should, hang up and call again. You do need your policy number. I copied the policy and placed in all my vehicles.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Your entire household vehicles are automatically covered with Good Sam Roadside - that is as long as your name is one the title.

AAA covers me in any vehicle I am riding in no matter who owns it.

Multiple car/truck rescues over the years.

Used them to haul the harley before once too.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #13

I just called AAA to check on my membership. The lady said I have AAA premier RV, She said that when you have been a member over 20 years with Premier you automatically get the RV added on since last year.
We get
1- 200 mile tow
3-100 mile tows
That's for each card (DW and me)

I asked what happens if my 5th wheel needed to be put on a flat bed, She said they do it every day. I'm going to stick with AAA
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #14

Well I like GS, they are all a pain!

Tags
switch