Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #85

Thats the real reason it was probably done by owner.
nella1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #86

Just this morning, after years of dumping my oatmeal into a bowl I dumped it into the cup of coffee sitting right next to it. Perfect timing for reading this thread.
Irvwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #87

I know I'm singing the same song here but I think it's important, in this particular case, to know if the DEF tank is full.

FLJOE, can you ask your buddy?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #88

I just returned home, to Houston, from a 3 week trip. While is Southern Arizona I stopped at an independent truck stop to fill up MOSTLY because it was 40 cents cheaper than Flying J across the freeway. As I was pulling back on the freeway I noticed a slight loss of power and by the time I was in 6th gear, my check engine light was on. Not a great loss of power and I was on my way home and would deal with it when home. Hopefully. The next morning a few hundred miles east of El Paso we stopped at Shell Truck Stop again within a mile from the stop, lose of power, this time, it slowly got worse. Finally, it was so bad I was pulling hills at 40 mph. Stopped, at a small diesel repair shop in Ozonza TX. Found the code: low fuel rail pressure. The local NAPA had a filter (THANK GOD)and the shop changed it for me. Made it home and the check engine light had cleared itself. This morning as I was moving the coach again the check engine light is back on. I am heading to the shop to pull a fuel sample to see how bad it is, will be deciding to drain the tank or buy extra fuel filters and a filter tool. The point I want to make is, bad fuel or contaminated fuel exist. Is there any expertise here, on what the majority of contaminants are, and on additives that would slow down the contaminants? I know my brother-in-law (a city manager), uses Kleen in their garbage trucks and other diesel vehicles. I remember, in my yacht, we fought with algae, ALOT.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
I just returned home, to Houston, from a 3 week trip. While is Southern Arizona I stopped at an independent truck stop to fill up MOSTLY because it was 40 cents cheaper than Flying J across the freeway. As I was pulling back on the freeway I noticed a slight loss of power and by the time I was in 6th gear, my check engine light was on. Not a great loss of power and I was on my way home and would deal with it when home. Hopefully. The next morning a few hundred miles east of El Paso we stopped at Shell Truck Stop again within a mile from the stop, lose of power, this time, it slowly got worse. Finally, it was so bad I was pulling hills at 40 mph. Stopped, at a small diesel repair shop in Ozonza TX. Found the code: low fuel rail pressure. The local NAPA had a filter (THANK GOD)and the shop changed it for me. Made it home and the check engine light had cleared itself. This morning as I was moving the coach again the check engine light is back on. I am heading to the shop to pull a fuel sample to see how bad it is, will be deciding to drain the tank or buy extra fuel filters and a filter tool. The point I want to make is, bad fuel or contaminated fuel exist. Is there any expertise here, on what the majority of contaminants are, and on additives that would slow down the contaminants? I know my brother-in-law (a city manager), uses Kleen in their garbage trucks and other diesel vehicles. I remember, in my yacht, we fought with algae, ALOT.

Can you get someone to try to identify what the contimination is? DEF, water or ???
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #90

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
After I've made a stand about DEF in diesel fuel storage tanks being unheard of, I did a search and found I'm wrong. There was even some instances of jet fuel contaminated with DEF. Jets DO NOT use DEF. Do a search for yourself, I used "pilot diesel fuel contaminated with DEF."
Now the foremost question is HOW?
FLJOE, I made a similar post to your FMCA thread.

Very interesting, definitely want to see what direction this part of the thread takes. Thanks
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I know I'm singing the same song here but I think it's important, in this particular case, to know if the DEF tank is full.

FLJOE, can you ask your buddy?
When he left the Pilot in question, and after the mobile tech had changed his filters, his diesel tanks were full and his DEF tank was full. His receipt showed 48+ gallons of diesel and 5 gallons of DEF pumped.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
In the days following my conversations with my buddy I did some research online. I found a little info about contaminated diesel but not much. Like others I was shocked about the information online about DEF contamination in jet fuel.

I hope your engine survives and maybe it was just a little water. What I have decided since learning of my friends misfortunes on Thanksgiving day is to never totally trust diesel pumped from even the big truck stops. When I recently made a 600 mile run to SW Florida I added a bottle of Diesel Kleen at each fill up. I used to buy it when I pulled a fiver with my F350 mainly for octane boost and to help keep my injectors clean. I'll probably start using it again on a pretty regular basis.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
When he left the Pilot in question, and after the mobile tech had changed his filters, his diesel tanks were full and his DEF tank was full. His receipt showed 48+ gallons of diesel and 5 gallons of DEF pumped.

Thanks, FLJOE, but we already knew that. What I'm trying to get clear, beyond a reasonable doubt, is if all the DEF went into the DEF tank, because if it did, then the only way contamination could have happened is via the diesel storage tanks.

Unless the full DEF tank was confirmed by the repair shop, we have only your buddy's word, or a gauge (faulty?), that the tank was full. Not accusing him of being untruthful, but a full DEF tank at the repair shop would be undisputed objective proof that the tank was filled at the station.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Is it common for an auto insurance policy to cover mechanical failure not caused by a crash ?

Depends on the coverage - we had to have the differential in our motorhome rebuilt last year, after it got caught in a flood, and the comprehensive portion of our policy covered the damage.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #95

Quote:
Thanks, FLJOE, but we already knew that. What I'm trying to get clear, beyond a reasonable doubt, is if all the DEF went into the DEF tank, because if it did, then the only way contamination could have happened is via the diesel storage tanks.

Unless the full DEF tank was confirmed by the repair shop, we have only your buddy's word, or a gauge (faulty?), that the tank was full. Not accusing him of being untruthful, but a full DEF tank at the repair shop would be undisputed objective proof that the tank was filled at the station.

Playing devils advocate, couldn’t Pilot claim the DEF might have been topped off after the vehicle left the station? I would think testing the fuel at the station would be the only way to check if the fuel was contaminated.

Side note: I’ve been meaning to carry a filter and tools with me for some time now. This thread is finally getting me to do it.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Is it common for an auto insurance policy to cover mechanical failure not caused by a crash ?
Comprehensive coverage will pay for things not caused by a crash. Window broken by a rock, a tree limb thru the roof and road debris going thru the radiator. Things like that. There doesn't have to be a vehicle accident involved. Of course the specific language of the policy will decide what is covered and what is not. I guess the main take away is you shouldn't make that determination yourself. File the claim and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #97

What doesn't make sense to me is the OP's friend had engine issues after fueling but before even leaving the truck stop. If the contamination occurred at the truck stop and it was severe enough to almost immediately lead to engine issues there would have to be some others who were similarly effected. We know the location of the truck stop so within a certain mile radius there should be a bunch of diesel fuel contamination issues found online or with the authorities. I would guess that while sitting around for days waiting for repairs the owner would have the time and inclination to look into whether others are having the same problem. Seems to me a truck stop dispensing bad fuel would result in the word spreading very quickly among the trucking community.

There was mention of two tanks; suppose one tank was good and one bad and while at the stop he switched tanks.

I don't pretend to know what happened but the lack of others similarly effected seems strange.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #98

Quote:

I don't know how much clearer I can make it. He said his DEF tank was full when he left the Pilot, just like his truck diesel tank was full and his aux tank was full.

As a side note when they got in to our campground finally yesterday and we were having a beer and talking about it, he mentioned that his DEF tank was still close to full. He said that because when I walked into his site I yelled at him "hey buddy, you need some DEF".

Tags
fuel