Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Cooling the cab

Driving my class A Newmar Canyon Star in the Texas 90 -100 degree+ heat leaves a lot to be desired with regard to cooling the cab. Heaven forbid if you're driving into the sun! The dash air on max "meets spec" and running the gen with the 2 roof air, keeps the back comfortable. Placing a ac fan just behind the dog house pushing the air to the cab helps some but there has to be a better way. Has anyone installed a cab curtain behind the driver & passenger seat? If so, is the dash air enough or is roof air needed too? What about reflective film on the top half of the windshield? Would like to hear about others deal with keeping the cab cool.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gotta love Texas. I'd shut down any vents in back and close it off as much as you can. There's probably some value in getting some circulating air around the driver - IE a fan.
Some people have luck with those clear UV-filters that go on the windows.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

I constructed a lightweight material curtain to go across behind the front seating area (In a previous motorhome I owned). Although the material had very little R value, it cuts down air transfer between front and back. The dash air was able to keep the front much cooler with the curtain closed.

I have since learned to go to higher altitudes or northern latitudes to solve heat problem.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434135654.559348.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	97057
This is what I installed. My wife found these cloth shower curtains so I ordered the track from a class c which was $12 and slides for curtains which was $20 for 2 packs. This is the first trip with them and they work great. Blocks out all light when it is dark out and grandkids wants to play WII and with the one vent from ac keeps it nice and if you turn on the dash ac it will freeze you out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We installed room darkening curtains behind our seats. And yes we do notice a difference in keeping the cab cooler.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we had our Monaco Diplomat, I bought a spring loaded shower rod and a clear plastic shower curtain. I hung the curtain up behind the driver/passenger seats while driving in hot weather. It worked well, allowed you to see in the back and had a split so you could pass through.

I also ran a ceiling vent to draw hot air off of the ceiling.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The one I put in is also 2 curtains so you can go through the center. Now I can see why class c has these.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Great ideas from all. I think I'll rig up a curtain. Thanks
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by planopat View Post
Driving my class A Newmar Canyon Star in the Texas 90 -100 degree+ heat leaves a lot to be desired with regard to cooling the cab. Heaven forbid if you're driving into the sun! The dash air on max "meets spec" and running the gen with the 2 roof air, keeps the back comfortable. Placing a ac fan just behind the dog house pushing the air to the cab helps some but there has to be a better way. Has anyone installed a cab curtain behind the driver & passenger seat? If so, is the dash air enough or is roof air needed too? What about reflective film on the top half of the windshield? Would like to hear about others deal with keeping the cab cool.
Installed a curtain many years ago. Just went through TX this week at 100 degrees. Stayed cool the whole way. Turned coach air on only 1/2 hour before stopping so coach was cool for lunch, etc.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

I just installed a transverse rod with shower curtains on it. Behind the driver and passenger seats. Going to try it out Wed for a week long trip to a lake.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #11

Haven't had a problem keeping the "cab" aqrea cool with the dash air, at least not yet. In case we do have a problem I wonder if lowering the bed would be a help since we have a 2015 Thor ACE. As long as we remember not to stand up it is driveable with the bed down. Just a thought, Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post
I just installed a transverse rod with shower curtains on it. Behind the driver and passenger seats. Going to try it out Wed for a week long trip to a lake.

The curtain also works well to retain heat from the dash heater for winter time travel. I installed one in our motorhome last year for a winter trip to California, and was pleased by the results.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed closet rod retainers with a one inch dowel, then found thermal curtains and hung them behind driver's and passenger's seats. Works on both ends...cooler in summer and warmer when the temps go the other way.
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll add that no matter how well the shower rod with curtains worked, we learned to fire up the roof A/C about half an hour before checking in and let it run while we register.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling