RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 3
COPD & Bipap - does it need oxygen?

Does a Bipap device always need an oxygen supply? My doc tells me that i need an IPAP of 14 and EPAP of 6 which was a recent adjustment and he said i don't need oxygen supply any more. So, may be i don't understand the internals of Bi-pap how does the bipap device deliver the oxygen at a certain pressure if it doesn't really have an oxygen input?

I'm trying to verify if i heard my doctor correct. I do have an oxygen concentrator at home, just don't know if i need to connect it or if bipap device can operate on the room's oxygen. I have a full face mask.

Please advice.
subslance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,795
A Bipap provides different AIR pressures when you inhale vs when you exhale. It has nothing to do with needing external oxygen. All PAP machines provide increased air pressure to your airways while sleeping to prevent sleep apnea which keeps your BLOOD OXYGEN LEVEL where it should be.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
RVM 18
 
okmunky's Avatar


 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fulltimer, SD resident
Posts: 10,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by subslance View Post
Does a Bipap device always need an oxygen supply? My doc tells me that i need an IPAP of 14 and EPAP of 6 which was a recent adjustment and he said i don't need oxygen supply any more. So, may be i don't understand the internals of Bi-pap how does the bipap device deliver the oxygen at a certain pressure if it doesn't really have an oxygen input?

I'm trying to verify if i heard my doctor correct. I do have an oxygen concentrator at home, just don't know if i need to connect it or if bipap device can operate on the room's oxygen. I have a full face mask.

Please advice.
It sounds to me like you have graduated to a healthier level. Congrats! You might want to call the office and ask a nurse to check your chart to see if you should discontinue the oxygen, before you do. You can always go back on the added oxygen if you arenít feeling good in the mornings. Room air is usually enough unless your COPD has progressed to a point that you need it. Do you have a finger oxygen sensor? That should tell you is you are getting enough to stay healthy.
__________________
Barb (RVM18) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie) RIP Sena FMCA#F466348
"Homer" Ď11 Shasta Cynara, pulling "Ranger" '97 Ford Ranger toad
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
It sounds to me like you have graduated to a healthier level. Congrats! You might want to call the office and ask a nurse to check your chart to see if you should discontinue the oxygen, before you do. You can always go back on the added oxygen if you arenít feeling good in the mornings. Room air is usually enough unless your COPD has progressed to a point that you need it. Do you have a finger oxygen sensor? That should tell you is you are getting enough to stay healthy.
Thank you! This is helpful. Yes, I have an oximeter and it is showing that my levels are consistently >95.
subslance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
A Bipap provides different AIR pressures when you inhale vs when you exhale. It has nothing to do with needing external oxygen. All PAP machines provide increased air pressure to your airways while sleeping to prevent sleep apnea which keeps your BLOOD OXYGEN LEVEL where it should be.
Thanks.
subslance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Excesses's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Vancouver Island, B.C.
Posts: 576
Oximeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subslance View Post
Thank you! This is helpful. Yes, I have an oximeter and it is showing that my levels are consistently >95.
As a Registered Respiratory Therapist and myself a CPAP user, I can say that your Saturations of >95% are excellent. Good idea to have the oximeter!

Cheers

DJ
__________________
DJ & BJ & Boxer Girl Roxy. Home Vanc Island, B.C. 🇨🇦
2001 Triple E Embassy 34í XL, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Rear TracBar, F53 Chassis, Firestone Air, Banks Pkg, 2011 CRV Toad
Excesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Dieselgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA & FL
Posts: 1,016
I exercise regularly with oxygen. If I registered a 95, my doctor would be hearing from me. I should point out that I do not have any health issues.
__________________
2015 Cornerstone (Classic) 45B Topaz
2017 JKU Rubicon
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CPAP, BiPAP & APAP machines as ventilators FL420 COVID-19 Discussions 7 04-13-2020 06:57 PM
COPD/Bipap and dry camping? flywithcoop Tiffin Owner's Forum 9 04-01-2018 06:19 PM
BiPap and COPD w6pea Just Conversation 10 04-26-2017 06:40 PM
Traveling with COPD CCFROMFL Just Conversation 2 01-31-2014 09:30 PM
travel with COPD Sokcap48 iRV2.com General Discussion 14 05-10-2013 01:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.