Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

Cost of RV Storage has gone WAY up!

I've been storing my 27 ft. Class A at a Public Storage lot for a few years.
Here's what I've been paying in the San Jose, Ca. area:

Year 1: $70/mo
Year 2: $80
Year 3: $90
In June, they want to raise it to $116/month. Uncovered lot, no improvements except asphalt parking spots. Very little security. They do have a bathroom. Since renting there, I've had my registration tags stolen, wheel covers stolen, anonymous damage to the corner of the RV. The lot had the chain link fence cut a few weeks ago, and some thieves went through several vehicles stealing contents, wheels, tires, etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of inflation on storage costs? I'm feeling ripped off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #2

I hate storage lots, don't think I'd own an RV larger than I can keep at home.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

Formerly from San Jose, I can see how the costs have risen due to the market dynamics. Here in Angels Camp, in my neighborhood, we cannot park our rigs in the neighborhood. CC&R's. So everyone stores their RV's and boats. We pay $65 for an outside pull thru at the local UHaul place - gated, cameras, indoor or outdoor storage.

I'd look for a different storage lot - maybe down near Morgan Hill or somewhere south. Yeah, its a bit of a hassle, but you might be safer with your rig than smack in the middle of a town where the police no longer respond to house alarms. (ask me how I know...)
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Like any business, they are looking to see how much they can push up the price point. Apparently they haven't reach the top yet. I would write an editorial to you local neighbourhood paper and go looking for another storage yard.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We pay almost $230 a month for inside storage. With the harsh Florida sun being a RV's worst enemy, we eat the cost to keep the rate of deterioration to a minimum. I'm hoping to make Squeaky our first and last MH, so we are trying our best to take care of her.

Hope this makes you feel a little better about your storage rate.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

In the Baltimore / Washington area the ONLY covered (not inside) storage lot gets $195/mo. The ONLY inside storage facility near BWI airport gets $10/ft. or $250 minimum, with restricted access times.
I keep mine at a local RV Campground open storage lot for $100/mo. that has high fencing and nightly security with 7 day-a-week access.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

Curious, for those that use inside, or covered storage, have you done any math to see if it is worth it??
250 a month is 3k a year, over 5 years that is 15k....
When I stored my light sport plane in a hangar, and the rates went up, I did some math, and found that I could keep it at home, trailer to the airport, and save enough to buy an entire new aircraft every few years, plus those months, or years when I was not flying due to whatever reason, I did not feel a single flight cost me several hundred dollars..
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sitting down? Here in MA I was just quoted $4000 for 6 months of inside,heated storage for my 40 ft DP motorhome. My reaction was WHAT? Are you kidding? The offer came with a time frame; get back to me before end of Aug.

Wow. $666 a month!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours just jumped from $86 to $116 a month. They do offer a $20 discount if you keep you DL, Insurance and registration, current and on file. I have only been there 6 months and the say this is the first raise in 5 years.

It is outdoor and basically unsecured but they have 2 couples living on the premises.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #10

Austin,TX We pay $120.00/mo for covered storage, gated.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I've been storing my 27 ft. Class A at a Public Storage lot for a few years.
Here's what I've been paying in the San Jose, Ca. area:

Year 1: $70/mo
Year 2: $80
Year 3: $90
In June, they want to raise it to $116/month. Uncovered lot, no improvements except asphalt parking spots. Very little security. They do have a bathroom. Since renting there, I've had my registration tags stolen, wheel covers stolen, anonymous damage to the corner of the RV. The lot had the chain link fence cut a few weeks ago, and some thieves went through several vehicles stealing contents, wheels, tires, etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of inflation on storage costs? I'm feeling ripped off.
Man I feel for you. With the price, and the thefts, you are getting ripped off twice!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

IMO, this is a typical storage lot "ploy", if you will.

I have two boats in covered and locked storage. I started out paying $118/ mo for each unit. They raised it to $125, then $135, then $145. No notice. I just start getting the new bills. I was on auto-pay through my checking acct so I didn't know about the increase until I opened my statement one day and saw that I was waaaaay behind. I have to sit down with them and battle that one out.

Anyway, their price increase is enough to for me to vote with my feet and start the usual storage game elsewhere. That, or sell my boats. I plan to move out at the end of this month. He'll get the $145 from the next customer, I'm pretty sure of that. Our area is booming and there's a lack of reasonably-priced storage space available. I can't blame him for raising prices, that's what businesses do. But I would've preferred to get a notice from them. They all seem to do the price-creep, at least in my area.

For me the added cost of storage was worth it because of UV and weather protection as well as the ability to drop my insurance. But I'm a bit put off by the price raise/ lease terms change, without telling me.

Oh well, C'est le vie.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #13

Started at $90.00 per month for a year and now up to a $105.00. It is covered storage (carport style cover), behind secure locked gates with cameras. Good news is 24 hours access. BTW, there is a waiting list for these spaces. Codes and covenants do not allow RV in driveway for storage purposes. However HOA is good about understanding the amount of time to clean, load, unload, etc. we have never been rushed to move it back to storage, but we don't push it either.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep mine at a covered storage lot for $150.00 a month or you can pay for a full year at a time $1,500.00. The storage is behind a high dollar car repair shop and there are only 28 spots. I have been there 2 years with no price increase. We have 60' covered storage, 30 and 50 amp hookups, 2 120vac outlets, for each spot. We also have a dump station and water hookups. The storage is 24 hour access with a gate code, 8 ft high fencing, security cameras everywhere, and is well lit with lights above each spot. It's highly coveted storage as there is hardly any covered storage in the Memphis area. The owner is a very nice guy.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage