Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Costco auto/rv insurance

We just recieved an advertisement from Costco since were members and there advertising insurance. I knew all about there auto/rv buying program wich was not applicable for us since they only work with general rv dealerships, but had not ever noticed they are now in the insurance buisness.
How long has this been offered?
Who has experience with Costco auto/rv insurance?
Do they insure full-timers?
Is it any good,( as far as ins. goes) or just cheap?
I do know the company that Costco uses is CONNECT’s parent company, American Family Insurance, wich has mixed reviews.
We have been full timing now for 5 yrs and have all of our coverages through nationwide as they seem to have the best rates and coverage for us, but were always looking for a better and more affordable product. Staying with one insurance company forever just doesn't pay off in our view and experiences.
We are looking for personal experience with those of you who have dealt with or are dealing with Costco to insure your rv or truck. Thanks for your knowledge and opinions.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #2

I think you probably already know you will not deal with Costco at all with any coverage or claims issues. Basically, Costco's role does not go beyond providing contact info. It is all underwritten by one of the American Family companies, which is an established insurer and one that I am comfortable with. We explored this offering through Costco some time ago. We have our homeowners, personal auto, and travel trailer with them. I find them easy to deal with. We have not had any claims, and hope to keep it that way.

If you are looking for feedback about insurance companies on the internet, I suspect most will have a lot of bad reviews. Many misunderstand what is covered and what is excluded under the contract, hence get angry.

BTW, I think Nationwide is an excellent company. They, along with AmFam, were customers of mine back in the days when I had to work for a living.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I think you probably already know you will not deal with Costco at all with any coverage or claims issues. Basically, Costco's role does not go beyond providing contact info. It is all underwritten by one of the American Family companies, which is an established insurer and one that I am comfortable with. We explored this offering through Costco some time ago. We have our homeowners, personal auto, and travel trailer with them. I find them easy to deal with. We have not had any claims, and hope to keep it that way.

If you are looking for feedback about insurance companies on the internet, I suspect most will have a lot of bad reviews. Many misunderstand what is covered and what is excluded under the contract, hence get angry.

BTW, I think Nationwide is an excellent company. They, along with AmFam, were customers of mine back in the days when I had to work for a living.
Awesome reply, tyvm. Yah i know Costco is just basically the third wheel In the whole deal. Glad to hear of your good experiences with them. I agree, not allot of folks are going to give any insurance company any good review, that's why I'm just trying to keep the thread on the Costco brokered American family ins. Co. So you said you have your travel trailer covered with them, do they cover most rvs like fifth wheels? No numbers need to be provided but did you find there auto and rv rates higher / lower/ or competitive with other ins. Company's?
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #4

You could just get a quote & see where they come in at.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #5

I have the Costco insurance, they take only qualified members with no claims in 3 years etc but my coverage was only $180 a year for $60k coverage. On my other 4 cars insured they saved me about $2400 a year in expense
Old 05-05-2021, 05:39 AM   #6

I have been with AAA (CSAA) for over 40 years.
Recently I joined AARP for my medicare.
Hartford Insurance has special rates for AARP members and I got a quote from them for my house, vehicles and trailer.
Much less than I'm paying now and most likely to switch.

Of course it's alway best to get quotes from other insurance companies.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #7

Yesterday I went to do the online quote but it would not do it and said that I needed to call for a quote because of my SD address. So more than likely I'm not going to call untill i get a bunch of Intel from you all on this company, nothing worse than being harassed by every insurance company out there who wants to give you a quote.. does anyone know if they offer full timer coverage?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

I don't know if they offer full timer insurance, but I do know you won't get harassed by the company. I also know that Costco is the 800 pound Gorilla in the room that would not partner with a disreputable Insurance provider. I am quoting home, auto and RV with them right now. The auto quote I received is averaging 30-35% lower than USAA.
edwardavion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardavion View Post
I don't know if they offer full timer insurance, but I do know you won't get harassed by the company. I also know that Costco is the 800 pound Gorilla in the room that would not partner with a disreputable Insurance provider. I am quoting home, auto and RV with them right now. The auto quote I received is averaging 30-35% lower than USAA.
awesome sauce. We're big Costco fans as well, everyone they partner with normally is top notch. Costco is very big on reputation.
Sounds like lots of good experiences.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Awesome reply, tyvm. Yah i know Costco is just basically the third wheel In the whole deal. Glad to hear of your good experiences with them. I agree, not allot of folks are going to give any insurance company any good review, that's why I'm just trying to keep the thread on the Costco brokered American family ins. Co. So you said you have your travel trailer covered with them, do they cover most rvs like fifth wheels? No numbers need to be provided but did you find there auto and rv rates higher / lower/ or competitive with other ins. Company's?
I don't know what their RV eligibility rules are. Best contact them for that. Their pricing was better than my previous insurer (AAA) but again I bundled my home, autos and RV. I'm not sure if their pricing would be better for just the auto and RV. My Travel Trailer premium is just north of $200/yr. It is treated like a third vehicle and carries the same 3rd party liability coverages as the vehicles. I also have a boat (one can't have too many toys!) but it is covered by Progressive. I cannot remember the details why I didn't insure the boat with Connect/AmFam. Might have been a high premium or maybe they don't underwrite boats -- I just can't remember. I probably should check as renewal is coming up.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I don't know what their RV eligibility rules are. Best contact them for that. Their pricing was better than my previous insurer (AAA) but again I bundled my home, autos and RV. I'm not sure if their pricing would be better for just the auto and RV. My Travel Trailer premium is just north of $200/yr. It is treated like a third vehicle and carries the same 3rd party liability coverages as the vehicles. I also have a boat (one can't have too many toys!) but it is covered by Progressive. I cannot remember the details why I didn't insure the boat with Connect/AmFam. Might have been a high premium or maybe they don't underwrite boats -- I just can't remember. I probably should check as renewal is coming up.
Our fiver used to be real cheap as well back when we had multiple vehicles and didn't have ful timer coverages. That drastically changed our price but it gave us peace of mind knowing we were insured correctly. As much peace of mind as one can get from any insurance company i guess. I guess I'll call for a quote in the next couple days once i shake this second covid shot symptoms

Tags
insurance