Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Countertops

We would like to upgrade our countertops. We have a 2012 5er with gas stove and corian tops. DW wants induction stove top, we are 50 amp, so I am good with that. Would like to do granite or something similar. Guessing some have been successful at this and possibly some found problems. Your input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Btheresoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #2

Be careful about the weight
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #3

I was wondering about the weight too and also running the power to the cooktop. At 12-19 lbs per square foot, depending on thickness, granite is not light. You also need to consider the support underneath and how you will fasten it to the cabinets. I don't believe this is a DIY type of project, and I've put in a number of couintertops. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #4

A two burner induction cooktop would need its own dedicated circuit. (Probably 20A which would require new wiring) Granite would be very heavy for an RV.
Gas is the safest in a kitchen with limited room to move pots that boil over. You just turn the knob and the heat is off. Also no waiting for a burner to heat up, which is the primary advantage of induction.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

I would never put granite countertops in an RV. Not only because of the weight, but over time it's probably going to crack from vibration, flex, and movement while traveling. There's lighter-weight composites that look just like granite if you want the look, and they are much more durable, and far less expensive.

In my class C I don't even use my gas range top anymore, when I have hookups. I have a portable single induction cooktop, and sit that on top of a butcher block cover on the range. You can also use them outside on a table.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what we did to change to the induction cooktop!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/indu...ed-274209.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #7

Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I would never put granite countertops in an RV. Not only because of the weight, but over time it's probably going to crack from vibration, flex, and movement while traveling. There's lighter-weight composites that look just like granite if you want the look, and they are much more durable, and far less expensive.
I don’t have any studies or anything to cite, but I share this concern. Granite and even quartz are incredibly heavy and subject to cracking. I think most of the counter tops in even the high end rigs are Corian or similar off-brand material.
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #8

Go to the different mfg. sites and find out what they use for countertops in their new units.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #9

Thank you! Always value the input I get from iRV2! MS happycampers , great install , like your ability to improvise. Yes, I am aware of designated circuit. I have a main line junction box after the ems. Figured on connecting from there to a single breaker box before heading to the cook top. I am always concerned about weight, but more about durability over time. Plan on additional investigation. Will let you all know how it turns out. ��
Btheresoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Commercial Member

there are granite overlays that are about 1/4 inch thick. i was told to make some joints so if it flexed, it had a place to do so.
ive seen this done, and it really looks nice.
not that expensive, relatively speaking.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
there are granite overlays that are about 1/4 inch thick. i was told to make some joints so if it flexed, it had a place to do so.
I have seen this in boats. The ones I have seen are overlayed onto aluminum honeycomb.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
1/4" granite? I wouldn't want that in a motorhome or a boat. Far too fragile. I've seen that done in homes as a quick and inexpensive way to "kind of" have granite counters, and it didn't turn out well very often. Usually really bad joints.

Honestly, I don't know what the obsession with granite is. I work in kitchen remodeling and appliance installation, and I can't stand granite. I've seen so many bad installations, and so often they do not reinforce the cabinets so the cabinets sags, then the joints mismatch, and they start developing cracks.. It's kind of like stainless steel appliances. Everyone wants stainless steel, but after a few years it looks bad, and even when new it really shows any imperfections and minor dents.

I install stainless steel appliances in granite counter kitchens all the time, but give me good old tile and white appliances. That's what I have [emoji16]

If I do change out my tile counters, I'll put a composite in. No granite is coming into my kitchen!
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

While granite is heavy, the extra weight is a concern only if your rig is already near its GVWR. If you have the capacity, I would not worry on that score.

As for the potential for cracking, supporting the new top, ongoing maintenance and similar concerns, I say yes to all of those. I'd stay with Corian or other quality solid surface. Or a high end laminate product from Wilsonite or Formica, of which the better grades are almost indistinguishable from stone or marble.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Epoxy coat the existing Corian countertop. We did that in our house. When we sold it everyone, including the realtor, thought it was marble.

Check this company out for supplies and ideas.

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote