Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Cover to keep generator cool?

I've seen a pic of a shroud/ vent on a cargo door that the generator sits behind so it draws outside air to keep generator cooler on a 100 degree day. Can anyone tell me where to get this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shroud Install1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	332007  
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #2

I'm not so sure I would like to have just a plain opening through my basement door like that...
If I were to make a mod for that purpose, I would be inclined to put a vent cover over it.
With a vent you still get the free air for cooling, but you don't see your generator...

I would go with something like this...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:55 PM   #3

Maybe you can Email a pic to https://bontragers.com/ The secret is knowing what it's called to look it up.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #4

Be careful installing a louvered vent cover. Generators require a specified amount of square inch area for proper air flow. Those little 1/2" slots don't provide much area.

The required area is usually specified in the generator manual. It should be at least a many square inches as the manuafacturer provides in the factory cover.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #5

Be sure that you read the installation instructions for the generator before you make any modifications. If it was factory installed, the proper air movement is designed in. You could cause problems if you modify it.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #6

I'm told by the owner of the pic I posted that the mod did fix his issue of generatir turning off on a HOT day. Which exactly what my 2014 ACE does. If you've ever opened the generator door while its running on a HOT Day the heat slaps you in the face. Of course the whole install from factory could of been different to provide outside air access. Ill end up doing something for sure, maybe a small fan that runs off of 12 volts that runs only if genius is on
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would try and figure out a way to install a 4" vent hose behind the scenes drawing air from underneath somehow. Same with another vent pulling it out. Heat rises, so a vent hose up and out would work.

Nothing showing from the exterior is the best.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

That picture is the rubber boot that fits up against the fresh air intake on the Onan 4000 when you close the compartment door not the 5500. If you notice from the factory there is usually only about 2 inches between the generator fresh air intake and the back side of the compartment door drawing the hot air from the engine and exhaust into the generator. That picture is missing the outside vent cover. I installed one of these on my Thor Ace 30.1 3 years ago for the dreaded 36 code. I got mine from a Forest River dealer that came on the FR3’s. They came from the factory with the vent installed.
Just putting a vent in the door doesn’t work. The trick is the rubber boot.
Here is my install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C452660C-2F44-49A6-9823-1B2B9901A235.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	332180   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F6D7F7E-1EDE-4047-BF9B-101BA9420578.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	332181  

Old 06-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #9

I guess I’m confused my generator draws air from the bottom it passes over the motor then back out the bottom of generator, how is a door hole in the Rv going to help
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, generator