Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #1

I will be living part time in my MH during the winter. I was wondering if I should cover my AC units or do they need to be left open while using the heat pumps?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #2

I will be living part time in my MH during the winter. I was wondering if I should cover my AC units or do they need to be left open while using the heat pumps?

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #3

I'm not sure what heat pumps are, but I've seen a few others who live year round in their RV's with covers on them in the cooler months.

We thought about it, but I havent found any that can be left on while traveling and we tend to move so much, I thought it would be a hassle to continually be climbing up and down to put the cover on.

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #4

The heat pump is the heating part of the AC unit. I will not be moving my MH, so leaving covers on is not a problem there. I am trying to find out if the unit uses outside air or just recirculates the interior air to heat.

Thanks, Chris
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RotorWing:
The heat pump is the heating part of the AC unit. I will not be moving my MH, so leaving covers on is not a problem there. I am trying to find out if the unit uses outside air or just recirculates the interior air to heat.

Thanks, Chris[/QUOTE

If your roof AC actually has a air heat pump, then you do not want to cover it. Air heat pumps draw heat out of the outside air and usually do not work well below 32 degrees.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I do have a furnace that kicks on around 40 deg. I will leave the ac units uncovered.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #7

A heat pump is also called reverse cycle A.C.It cools the interior and blows hot outside when you want AC and cools the outdoors and blows the hot air inside when you want heat.It can't be used if covered.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #8

Thanks Bob, I love that I learn something new each time I visit this site

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #9

i would like to add if you have a electric heating element on your a/c unit as i do, you can cover the unit because the compressor section is not working only the inside circulator fan
new-to-rving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #10

Do you gain anything by covering it? Seems if there is a heat source you probably want the ventilation that is provided by the cover that is currently on it. Just a safety thought.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest that maybe a cover on the inside, remember you must take the cover off before you move. I have seen some where a simple white trash bag around the frame looked good. I don't like walking or going on my roof. So its something to keep in mind.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #12

A heat pump needs air to work. The electric heat strips don't usually start till it is in the low 30s.I would not cover the unit.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #13

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
I don't cover the a/c either.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The heat pump is just a reverse cycle A/C. The cold evaporator is out side and the warm condenser is inside. This accomplished with a reversing valve to switch the lines to the coils.

So when the out side air is to cold, the heat can not be used to warm the coil and evaporate the refrigerant. The coil will ice over and have to defrost or shut down.

So you do have to have the coil uncovered to operate the heat pump.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote