Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I still have most of the Craftsman hand tools I purchased many many years ago. I notice a couple years ago when I needed a new Craftsmen combination wrench it was nothing like my existing Craftsman combo wrenches.

I have switched to Kobalt for new hand tools. I find shopping at Lowes easier as I can combine trips.

Sears just isn't the store it use to be. When I was a kid you bought everything at Sears even if it meant going to the catalog.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
After running across this thread, I realized I have a 1/2 inch torque wrench that will not adjust. Just got back from Sears and at first the counter guy acted like he did not want to exchange it...said they're only good for a year. I told him I really could not remember how long ago I bought the wrench, but I would NOT have bought it under those conditions. He took it to he manager(must have been a used car salesman at one time) and they tried to exchange it with a 3/8 drive measured in inch/lbs...mine old one is 10 to 150 lbs/ft. Geez. I had to go find the correct one myself.

Well, at least I have a torque wrench(no charge) I can use now, but it does remind me why I haven't been in a Sears store for over 7 years...how do they stay in business? Bob

BTW The new one seems to be a cheaper version and was made in Mexico.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
After running across this thread, I realized I have a 1/2 inch torque wrench that will not adjust... Bob...
Funny. I have one that also wouldn't adjust. I've been soaking it with WD-40 and it is gradually freeing up. If I can get to free up completely, I'll lube it with a light oil and check it out.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Funny. I have one that also wouldn't adjust. I've been soaking it with WD-40 and it is gradually freeing up. If I can get to free up completely, I'll lube it with a light oil and check it out.
If you can find a can of Free All, it is better than WD40 (if you can believe that) especially for rust. It's the best stuff I've fouund.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I have a Monkey Ward circular saw that has lasted longer than any Craftsman power tool I got from Sears.
We have a Wards 31 cf freezer that I've had longer than this marriage has lasted and that's 25 years now!
I'm not sure I can even buy one that large anymore.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I hope your efforts work, my original wrench was of a much better quality than the one they exchanged for me...lots of plastic. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always bought everything from Sears Catalog. All my clothes and even shoe repair kits. All of my tools are from Sears. Alot has changed over the years, first they dumped the catalog, then their Sears branded things like their electric shavers. I went to a store for parts for my Sears Razor and was told that wasn't theirs, WHAT ?
Now mind you the girl had an accent heavier than her moustache. I told her I bought out of their catalog and she informed me that they don't have a catalog. That was it for me. They were just another department store, and not a good one. Sad.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Went to Sears tonight after Lowes looking for an angled ratcheting screwdriver. Sears had them and they were made in the USA.

Thought I would grab a battery post cleaner and another lock-on air chuck. Both were made in China.

While checking the lady asked if I found everything I needed and I told I had but 2 of the 3 items were made in China so I was not able to purchase everything I needed but yes I did find everything.

She just said I understand.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I know this thread is about tools but I got a can of Howes Lubricator a while back and it is bu far the best stuff I've ever used.
Howes Lubricator
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you think the Craftsman tools have gone downhill you should try the Kenmore applicances. Real cr - uh - junk.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
While Craftsman used to make excelent hand tools, the quality has gone down over the last half dozen or so years.

Sears power tools never were worth the hammer it would take to smash them. ..........
I am afraid that I can not agree with that statement. Seven years ago I purchased (Black Friday) a Craftsman 19.2 volt 410in.lb.Torque Drill/Driver. It has seen heavy use, been dropped, had things dropped on it and is still my #1 favorite tool. Works as well now, than it did the day that I bought it (just a few more 'battle' scars on it though ).

By what I have read here, that is the exception to the rule............

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I still have most of the Craftsman hand tools I purchased many many years ago. I notice a couple years ago when I needed a new Craftsmen combination wrench it was nothing like my existing Craftsman combo wrenches.

I have switched to Kobalt for new hand tools. I find shopping at Lowes easier as I can combine trips.

Sears just isn't the store it use to be. When I was a kid you bought everything at Sears even if it meant going to the catalog.

I have to agree.....I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy new hand tools at Lowe's (even if I don't like Jimmie Johnson the arrogant low life) at least their hand tools are made in the U.S.A....not Communist China.

Don't Ask!

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have to agree.....I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy new hand tools at Lowe's (even if I don't like Jimmie Johnson the arrogant low life) at least their hand tools are made in the U.S.A....not Communist China.

Don't Ask!

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Craftsman hand tools (80%) are still made in America. Their power tools are made in China.

See post number 4 for more information on which tools are made in America and which tools are not.

I buy both Craftsman and Kobalt (Lowes), no Chinese junk in my toolbox.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you insist on buying "american made", you had better eyeball those Kobalt tools from Lowes closely. Also, and this is just my opinion, just because a product is made in the USA does not necessarily mean its a quality product. Lots of junk being produced here, in this country, trying to compete with foreign manufacturing. Let your knowledge and expierience be your guide. As a retired professional mechanic, I have purchased both foreign and american tools over the years. Some of the finest measuring tools I own were manufactured in Japan. I am not knocking USA products, nor am I touting Chinese made, just saying.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote