RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Craziest thing I have ever posted

It seems that the crows - yes, I said crows - hate my coach. I have a Tiffin Allegro Bus and the entry step has a shiny chrome face. Crows have been attacking it and the shiny mag wheels until there is blood on them. I have taped black trash bags to them which they shredded. Boxes and buckets against the steps work somewhat. Now they are landing on the roof and pecking stuff up there. And no I do not have a covered garage.

Anybody experience this and if so how did you remedy it?
denchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #2

I had this problem with an aggressive robin. He kept trying to attack his reflection. I remedied it with a pellet rifle.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Crows are known to be very territorial , do you have any evidence of a nest near by.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #4

Wow! Sorry to hear that. We once had that happen with Jays in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park. Like you we used black bags and they soon left it alone. I hope someone can give you a remedy. Perhaps building a scarecrow!

This may help:

https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-t...d-of-crows.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
I had this problem with an aggressive robin. He kept trying to attack his reflection. I remedied it with a pellet rifle.
I wouldn't advertise that if I were you. Songbirds are protected by federal law.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #6

I have mirrored windows on MH a female cardinal was always fighting herself on side windows toward the tree. Wife laughs at her fighting my dually truck chrome mirrors when MH is not there.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I wouldn't advertise that if I were you. Songbirds are protected by federal law.
Song birds, that's a good one. Crows are scavengers, they do have seasons on them in some places. Check your state laws and if legal a good pellet gun will give you some satisfaction and drive them away after several are downed.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #8

I had the same thing going on with a male cardinal. I attributed it to them being drunk on fermented fruit a few weeks ago. It went on for about a week or so and then stopped. There are places that sell bird netting to capture birds. Maybe some of that will work. Good luck and I hope your insurance is paid up.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Song birds, that's a good one. Crows are scavengers, they do have seasons on them in some places. Check your state laws and if legal a good pellet gun will give you some satisfaction and drive them away after several are downed.
SKP Kirk was responding to a post about a Robin, not a Crow as was shown in the post he quoted. Both are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It is true that US Fish & Wild Life as well as state wild life agencies may grant permits to shoot crows so checking with those agencies is certainly good advice.

For the OP: This web site has a section near the bottom on various frightening devices that may be effective in discouraging the bad behavior and possibly moving them along..

Wild Life Control Training - Crows
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

Crows are smart birds. I had a flock begin to use some trees near my house, I shot one and left it lay, the rest flew away and have never returned.That was many years ago. Their feces was damaging my patio roof, that's adequate reason to protect my property; which is allowed under the law.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
You must be familiar with the triple S method.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Crows around here are fun to watch. They find something hard, or food sealed up like a nut and such, fly way up and drop it on the street or sidewalk to crack it open. A couple hundred fly over our house every morning and evening in large flocks to migrate to a feeding area, then back to where they roost for the night.

A couple years ago I was working outside near my truck, and I heard a bird land inside the bed of the truck. I looked inside and a crow was looking at me. He hopped up on the rail and then onto my shoulder and pecked at my shirt. Then he hopped into the inside of the truck and sat on the seat!

That's when I noticed he was banded on both his legs. Not sure why, maybe fish and game are tracking their migration patterns or something. Not a pet I don't think. Sure was tame.

I thought it was funny, still do. He flew away after a while and never saw him again.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #13

Crazy crows

Solution to my crow problem. I strung some CDís in front of the door and havenít seen another crow since
denchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by denchiro View Post
Solution to my crow problem. I strung some CD’s in front of the door and haven’t seen another crow since
Must've been Rap Crap; Dean Martin would have them swooning.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote