Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
credit cards

Has anyone had the problem when you pump diesel or gas shutting off at $100.00 plus start slowing down at $95.00 very inconvenient plus after the 2nd time you put your card in it will not take the the 3rd time any ideal how to get around it without another credit card????????????????? thanks Jim
STEAMBOAT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If I'm not mistaken that's set by the station, not by the card.
I've my same card stop at different dollar amounts when I'm at a different station.
I THINK the only way to get around it is to go inside first and tell the person behind the counter that you want more than their limit.
Personally, I'd rather switch cards that go inside...
Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the station sets that limit.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

Can't figure out what the reasoning is for that. All one has to do is reinsert the card and your off and running again. It's not as if cutting the card off at $75 or $100 limits the loss if the card was stolen.

It amazes me that these station have this irrational fear and place these arbitrary limits on gas sales yet for some reason, no one working at the station ever see's when a scammer opens up the pump and installs a credit card skimming device.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

yep, don't get it either. and, what vehicle, other than an rv or very large commercial vehicle would even get close to using that much fuel anyway.... are they 'scared' a sem-truck is going to come in with a stolen card and fill up both 200gal tanks in one 'swoop'... by the way, that would take a while on a regular fuel hose!

now, maybe let's think of it another way. Maybe the credit card 'authorization' doesn't pass thru the amount of 'usable credit' you have left on your card, and therefore stops the authorization at a preset 'amount' so that IF you DO try to use it a second time, you would not be authorized, since now your credit card company sees the previous amount and says you are no longer 'authorized' to spend any more.
Unlike a debit card, where they can 'ping' an amount, such as $100 and see if it passes thru, a Credit Card does not have that availability.

hmm.... I think I just figured it ouT!!!!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #6

It is the gas station stopping the pump at 100 or so dollars. Amount can vary depending on the station. I have seen them stop at 150 and seen them stop at 75 dollars

It it reads see cashier when trying to swipe at the pump that is the bank that has put the card on a fraud alert. Happens now and again when we travel and it is very annoying to be at the pump and have the two cards i carry get put on a fraud alert because we did something they think is strange like purchase 100 dollars of gas one afternoon in one state then try to make a new gas purchase a state away the next morning. It is really annoying when the area I am trying to get fuel from does not have good enough cell service to be able to have a decent phone call with the credit card companies to get the cards turned back on so i can get some fuel. There is a good reason to have a stash of 200+ dollars somewhere around at all times.

We carry two active credit cards for this reason. Only once did they both manage to put both my cards on a fraud alert but that one time was really annoying.

My fav from the credit card company was asking me how long i was gonna be traveling and what areas so they could put that in the system and it wont get frozen again. OK.......from new york to california, lets include mexico and canada and lets say for the next 4 years as a timeline (we full time) Nope, can not be done they tell me. I dont know what they did but since i had that conversation with them neither have been put on a fraud alert.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Can't figure out what the reasoning is for that. All one has to do is reinsert the card and your off and running again. It's not as if cutting the card off at $75 or $100 limits the loss if the card was stolen.

It amazes me that these station have this irrational fear and place these arbitrary limits on gas sales yet for some reason, no one working at the station ever see's when a scammer opens up the pump and installs a credit card skimming device.
I have tried reswiping the same card, it does not always work. two cards is best.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
credit cards

Only way is to go inside and preauthorize a large amount. Sometimes it’s faster than doing the credit card swap
The station sets the amount based on the cards fraud rules and the stations tolerance for loss. I was told the largest CC fraud is at gas stations. I was also told once the fastest way to lock down your card is to buy shoes and gas one after the other.
I get a fraud ? text ( is it you ,? Yes or no ) questions from my Cc all the time when I double swipe even though I also get a amount spent text ea time it’s used You’d think there’d be s better way
If you have the card set to text alerts you can correct fraud lock downs quickly or prevent by answering a simple text message for most accounts .. still annoying though
Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My understanding is that this is also a safety issue, for those folks that like to turn on the pump and then walk away. Should the pump fall out and keep running it can only pump a finite amount of gas before it shuts off.
It has less to do with the potential dollars spent/stolen and more to do with the potential amount of gas that could be spilled if/when something goes awry.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #10

my Walmart Credit Card, managed by 'synchrony bank(?)' has no problem with duplicate swipes at the same stations for multiple fueling... as some stations stop at $75, others at $100, and even others at $125. the card DOES care if I try to use it 'out of state' and haven't called them to 'pre authorize' my usage while traveling. Very aggravating when it happens since it 'declined' your usage, and yet doesn't tell you why. Later, after you've already left, you get either a computer voice message, or a text. In which case you now have to physically call their customer service, explain what happened, and tell them that 'yes' it was you making the charge.

What I find interesting is that even Walmart's 'Murphy' stations, located on the Walmart property, and who provide you with a nice reduction in the price when you fuel there, also limit your usage to sometimes $75, requiring another 'duplicate' swipe of 'their' own Walmart Credit Card to continue.
Interesting.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I am a Pilot/Flying J member. I first swipe the Pilot card they gave me, and that allows me to pump as much as I need. I do, however, need to go inside and pay.

Now that I think about it, I guess that's what everyone is trying to avoid.

I'll go back in my corner and be quiet again.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post

You insert the card, and the pump automagically gets approval for some preset amount, say $100. Approval granted, you pump your $100, and close that transaction, the card is credited the $100. With that transaction completed and closed, you can now approve $100 again.

As I understand it, the vendor must get approval for some specific amount to accept the card. If they make it too high, they'll get more rejects from customers within $100 of their limit. They just try to set it high enough that their regular traffic can use it but not too high.

I encountered pumps in Canada that let me select an amount to approve. I just set an amount way above what I'd ever buy.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

This is a pain for sure! I have been told by the station that it's the card company that sets that limit!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I am a Pilot/Flying J member. I first swipe the Pilot card they gave me, and that allows me to pump as much as I need. I do, however, need to go inside and pay.

Now that I think about it, I guess that's what everyone is trying to avoid.

I'll go back in my corner and be quiet again.

Kenny, when I pull into the FJ RV fuel lanes and use my FJ card, I pump any amount and go. No need to go inside...unless the pizza is on sale..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote