Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2022, 10:12 AM   #1

Credit Unions

Is there a nation-wide credit union with storefronts that full time rvers use? How does one deposit cash, or convert cash to check outside the local c/u area? Co op ATMs are for small denominations only.
Pacificpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

We use a credit union in Houston area. That credit union has a nationwide ATM network that we can use without fees. I would assume other credit unions also have fee free ATMs. We do 99% of our banking online via ebanking. Hardly ever need to deposit cash. We can use ebanking to deposit checks. For cash while traveling we use our ATM card for cash back when we shop at big box stores. In 3 years of full timing, I have used an out of network ATM 2 times.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #3

Most of the Credit Unions I am aware of are fairly local with ATM networks as described.

The one exception that may have a national credit union network might be one of the Armed Forces Credit Unions, perhaps the Air Force Federal Credit Union or the Navy Federal Credit Union. Of course, as in most credit unions, you have to have some special link to be able to join. I could see the Federal Employees having a nationwide CU.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:30 AM   #4

Our credit union is connected to a nationwide system of credit unions, and we have used those ATM's all over the country at no charge. I'm not sure what "small denominations" refers to.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:13 PM   #5

I am a member of three credit unions. I have used my dedit card evrywhere world wide. Never have i had a problem. As stated ATM's everyywhere.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

Names of Credit Union(s) might be of help to OP
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Names of Credit Union(s) might be of help to OP
Hey, I gave names.

I thought most credit unions had specific rules as to who could join. I know they have loosened up the rules a lot over the years. The Educational Employees Credit Union (EECU) here in the Fort Worth now allows non-educational residents in the area to join, I believe. The Fort Worth Federal Credit Union has a branch in my city, not just in Fort Worth, and I can join if I want. But nationwide credit unions would seem to be more problematic.

I guess if the OP gave us his background, we might be able to give him more concrete leads. One of the advantages of a nationwide bank as opposed to a Credit Union is ease of finding a branch anywhere. About the only thing I can say positive about Chase or Bank of America.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even the small regional bank that I used from the mid-1970's to late 1990's was tied into a national ATM and had check deposit via photo with a smart phone and online bill payment. Switched to a local Credit Union when I had a major dispute to the tune of $4000 with them.

My daughter still uses the same CU even though she is 80 miles from the closest branch.

Not sure what the OP needs to convert cash to check for. If a business takes a check all the OP would need is for the bank to give them a checking account or pay online via a check.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #9

Have you tried the locator tool for Co-op credit unions?
https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/?loctype=S

This will let you find shared branches with teller service, not just linked ATMs. Of the three credit unions I belong to (for various loans) two participate in the shared branch program and ATMs while the third is ATM only. I have a couple dozen within 25 miles of me, but when you get to remote locations you may still be out of luck.

Note even staffed branches may be ATM only. One of mine is like this - there are people there to help with new accounts, loans, etc - but all transactions have to be done through the ATM. This account was set up by my RV dealer for my camper loan. I stopped at a branch to make my first payment and they had to generate an ATM card for me before I could put the cash into the ATM.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:47 AM   #10

As mentioned above, we use EECU credit union in Ft. Worth and have since 1974. I'm sure there are other similar credit unions around the country. EECU used to be only for educators, now almost if not anyone can join. Must keep at least $25 in a savings account.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:10 AM   #11

If associated with the military you can use Pentagon Federal Credit Union or Navy Federal Credit Union.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
If associated with the military you can use Pentagon Federal Credit Union or Navy Federal Credit Union.

We also use Pentagon Federal Credit Union with no issues. We also primarily use USAA banking. We've had no issues since we started full timing 12 years ago. We've even purchased new vehicles & rvs through them 2hile on the road.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:17 AM   #13

Pentagon FCU does not participate in the shared branch program and the OP really seems to want live teller service. They do participate in shared ATMs, but looking at the PenFed map for ATMs the only ones near me that accept deposits are Allpoint+ ATMs at Target stores.

You can join PenFed even if you are not tied to the military with a $5 or $10 donation to one of their charities. USAA is the one that is very strict about proving you or family members have military ties.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:42 AM   #14

Bank Account

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful input, but I already have a credit union account, 20 years before I sold my home. That CU does not participate in branch sharing transactions -- only CO OP ATM. I am trying to open an account with Selco -- because they accept/honor transactions between other credit unions. The problem is opening an account with any credit union or bank, no matter the state, requires proof of residency in that state. So, if you are a full time RVer and you don't pay rent, have a permanent physical address by rental agreement, mortgage payment, a utility bill in your name, or you don't qualify to open the account -- no matter your credit rating, FICO score, other bank or credit union affiliations. They accept a drivers license, to verify where you live. If you use a mailing address different from your home address, they require proof. I am renting at an SKP park, have presented the rental agreement and electric payment, but they won't accept it because I've had 2 different space numbers. Sooo, what do full-time RV-rs do to establish a new banking account when you no longer have a permanent address?
Pacificpilot is offline   Reply With Quote